Post ED Recovery

Thanks!

I did have a question on carbs. I make sure that I'm getting around 1 gram of protein per my body weight, and I'm usually around the 123 to 130 grams per day range, but I'm constantly hearing different opinions on carbs, mostly from non-vegan bodybuilding sites who are recommending no more than 40% of my calories come from carbs. What's the vegan stance on this? Obviously by carbs I mean whole foods like lentils, beans, grains, fruit, ect... and not processed crap (:

Thanks!

I did have a question on carbs. I make sure that I'm getting around 1 gram of protein per my body weight, and I'm usually around the 123 to 130 grams per day range, but I'm constantly hearing different opinions on carbs, mostly from non-vegan bodybuilding sites who are recommending no more than 40% of my calories come from carbs. What's the vegan stance on this? Obviously by carbs I mean whole foods like lentils, beans, grains, fruit, ect... and not processed crap (:

Congratulations on beating your eating disorder. First let me tell you to be very careful about calories, and the macro nutrients that comprise them. They are somewhat abstract and we all react in different ways to different amounts and macros.

Firstly I'd start by getting a decent idea of your caloric needs. Figure out how many minutes/hours per day you're actually lifting as this can really skew gains/losses. Google 3 calorie calculators and average the amounts based on your actual exercise level.

As for fats and carbs. I'd say carbs to get most of your calories as long as your body is under a lot of demand for them in the gym. And make up the rest with protein first, then fats, small amounts mind you >20%. Fats and carbs don't play well together in most genetic makeups and fats influence body fat levels a lot.

If you're finding your carb and/or intake is giving you undesirable results, replace some or both of them with protein.

Remember, verses eating too little calories and triggering your bodies survival mode, it's better to over eat a bit and remove them with a bit of extra exercise! So it's best not to drop calories, and just add more exercise to compensate for miscalculations in calculators.

So let's say you're 130lbs, and the calorie calculators say you need 2,400 kcal, just random numbers here mind you. These are the macros you decide to start with.

25% Protein 500kcal from/4=150g Protein

60% Carbs 1440 from/4= 360g Carbs

15% Fat 360kcal from/9g=40

But you find that you're not using all those carbs and you're getting a bit of bad results. You'd start messing with the macros by moving some fat calories to carbs and/or protein, but not going under 10%, because I personally think it's a bit healthy. After that if you still see undesirable results, shift some carb calories to protein.

It's all about dialing it in and finding the macros that work for YOU.

Good luck. (:

Thanks!

At this point, you just need to eat, eat, and eat. Don't worry now about eating too many carbs or too much anything.

I just wanted to add a little. I know psychologically it's probably hard to think this way but your body needs much more fat. Usually the reason people are concerned about macronutrients is that they want to maintain or gain muscle without adding much fat. Your body could use much more fat though. I'd say have fun eating anything and everything you want for the next few weeks. Have a vegan milkshake every other day for the next two weeks! You do still want to eat some healthy foods like nuts, seeds, fruits, and veggies but you can have *anything* you want to add calories to your intake. And don't look in the mirror and judge how you look - people with eating disorders have inaccurate perceptions of their bodies. You have very nice skin and hair and with 20 to 30 more lbs would be truly stunning.

BTW, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought "ED" meant erectile dysfunction!

I just wanted to add a little. I know psychologically it's probably hard to think this way but your body needs much more fat. Usually the reason people are concerned about macronutrients is that they want to maintain or gain muscle without adding much fat. Your body could use much more fat though. I'd say have fun eating anything and everything you want for the next few weeks. Have a vegan milkshake every other day for the next two weeks! You do still want to eat some healthy foods like nuts, seeds, fruits, and veggies but you can have *anything* you want to add calories to your intake. And don't look in the mirror and judge how you look - people with eating disorders have inaccurate perceptions of their bodies. You have very nice skin and hair and with 20 to 30 more lbs would be truly stunning.

BTW, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought "ED" meant erectile dysfunction!

I am sure you had No bad intentions, but you just made her feel like something is wrong with her.

Question is how one defines accurate perception. Our perception is subjective hence always relative to the perception of other people. It's effected by the culture you live in and by your values.

happyhealthyandveg You don't look too skinny to me. Maybe that's cause I'm more into Endurance sports.

As long as not going to the extreme unhealthy levels of fat. I think people should decide for themselves what's the amount of fat is right for them. Also it seems some people think being strong necessarily means you need huge muscles. I take guys like Bruce Lee as a good example for that. I mean give me his physique and especially skills and strength. I take it any day over having a massive body.

Good luck with your goal!!

I am sure you had No bad intentions, but you just made her feel like something is wrong with her.

I'm not sure which aspect of my post you're referring to but an eating disorder does qualify as something being wrong with her *condition* (not her as a human). It's pretty much common knowledge from any psychology textbook that people with eating disorders have inaccurate self-perceptions and I was trying to give useful advice rather than just make her feel good. I do apologize if I made the OP feel bad. She still looks attractive (though quite thin IMO) and like she has a lot going for her.

Edit: I feel I should add that it's not really my business to claim that the OP is underweight as long as she's happy with how she looks and her doctors say she's at a healthy weight. I may have made the faulty assumption that in her ED recovery, she still wanted or needed to gain weight. I do apologize.

Firstly, happyhealthyandveg you look amazing! What I wouldn't give to have your body.

Secondly, could you tell me specifically what you eat in a typical day to get your protein over 100grams? I struggle to even get to 100grams most of the time. Do you know how many calories you are consuming on any typical day?

Pre morning run: Banana or other fruit

Post morning run: 1/2 scoop protein powder, 1 tbsp spirulina, 1/3 cup blueberries

Lunch: Tofu scramble (with spinach, mushrooms and nutritional yeast) over quinoa, lentils or a sweet potato

Snack: hummus with hemp seeds and raw veggies

Pre weights: Oatbran with 1/2 scoop of protein powder

Post weights: 1 scoop of protein powder

Dinner: Same as lunch usually, but with steamed broccoli or brussels sprouts

I use Plantfusion protein powder (:

I really try not to count anymore, I just kind of feel it out (:

Thanks!

At this point, you just need to eat, eat, and eat. Don't worry now about eating too many carbs or too much anything.

this!

• 1 month later...

The great thing about eating vegan is you can stuff yourself to your hearts content, and not gain weight. So it's a natural way for dealing with your ED. I eat lots of oats and oat based meals. My breakfasts are usually a large (1cup) bowl of oatmeal with a huge dose of fresh fruit and milled flax seed with almond or coconut milk.

Lunch is always some fresh salad of spinach with raisins and oil and soy sauce. Or some version of cole slaw with veganaise.

I make homemade vegan burgers from lentils or chick peas (lentils dark "meat", chick peas light "meat" lol)

I eat lots of whole grain rice, pasta, veggie pastas, lentil/barely/veggie soups, etc.

After a workout, I love mixed nuts topped with honey (oops, my one non-vegan weakness) and cinnamin...

Or try mixing natural peanut butter with molasses, almond milk, and some cheerios.

My point is, if you stick to these high fiber foods, you can literally eat as much as you wish, and you'll maintain your natural weight.

Good luck, and if you want to talk more, I'd love to at [email protected]

I personally have a shake an hr before working out if I'm going in at the crack of dawn. I found I recovered better between sets. Again depends on what your doing, time of day, is it a late workout/early ect. If I've had a meal or two/ it's a late workout then I won't have one until Im done.

My advice is too read/post/google & base something you think will work for you. You can then begin to tweak things.

All the best

The great thing about eating vegan is you can stuff yourself to your hearts content, and not gain weight.

Not to call you out, but this statement is not true because it's all about calories in/calories out. What you eat determines how much of it you can eat. For example, there's a big difference between eating a ton of spinach and eating a ton of nuts because of how many calories they contain respectively.

That said, I agree that it's really all about hitting your protein needs and then figuring out what works best for your body. Some people do better with high fat/low carb because of the satiety factor and the opposite is true.

Just remember that your mental health is just as important as your physical health. So, take the time to find out what works best for you - mentally and physically - before you commit to setting your macro-intake as it really is able calories in/calories out so, other than hitting your protein, you could really divide the rest up however satisfies you and keeps you happy.

Life long battle w/ an Ed since 14.,,,I'm 50. It's like signs along the way, you do figure it out, and I started exercising hard and running at 18 -19 and haven't really dieted since then. Watched my weight but not diet. You look beautiful. For all my years running and weight training, I still would love to be over 5'7" and tall and lean!

How do you like Plant Fusion? I got really sick with...went back to VEGA but only the chocolate protein, tastes to die for mixed w/ coffee on a cold morning or cold coffee as a mid day iced mocha.