Endurance athlete Vs Powerlifter

You look great now!

I honestly don't agree with the myth that power lifting makes one "fat" and "bulky" and you can't have an aesthetically pleasing physique being one!

You can't build good muscle without good strength!

Yeah that's rubbish. I think for some people, defining themselves as a 'powerlifter' gives them the sense that it's okay to be overweight and not in shape. My look tends to unfortunately be in the minority just from the meets I've attended, but it's always good to come across other strong guys/women that take pride in the way they look

As for your last sentence, well strength is our goal for a powerlifter and muscle tends to be the side effect; for BB'ing it's the complete reverse.

nice....nothing like a 13.1' er! The 26.2'ers take a bit more training, eh?

Just a little bit !!

That photo of at the top of this thread, I actually suffered a small heart attack in that race. Managed to finish in 1hr36 and 12th place but was aiming for a sub 1hr30. Oh well, just means I have unfinished business!

You look great now!

I honestly don't agree with the myth that power lifting makes one "fat" and "bulky" and you can't have an aesthetically pleasing physique being one!

You can't build good muscle without good strength!

Yeah that's rubbish. I think for some people, defining themselves as a 'powerlifter' gives them the sense that it's okay to be overweight and not in shape. My look tends to unfortunately be in the minority just from the meets I've attended, but it's always good to come across other strong guys/women that take pride in the way they look

As for your last sentence, well strength is our goal for a powerlifter and muscle tends to be the side effect; for BB'ing it's the complete reverse.

It doesn't? Shit may as well throw away the box of pizzas I have in the freezer....

wow on the heart attack...I ran La Jolla half in 2009 here in So Cal...ran past a guy that had dropped and died less than 3/4 from finish line- medics all over...and did Rock nRoll marathon in 1998 and a few peeps did die...be careful! How'd you find out...and personal note, as I am still injured and out (doing home training today as I think I have a ruptired or torn gluteal ligament/ muscle- been down since 4/30--fat..taking charge NOW- I finally had my a-ha moment)- I miss running the absolute most! Nothing like a 15'r (miles..I don't do kilometers...lol) before 9 am! thanks for the daily dsoe of inspiration (or in some of us..insanity!)-

wow on the heart attack...I ran La Jolla half in 2009 here in So Cal...ran past a guy that had dropped and died less than 3/4 from finish line- medics all over...and did Rock nRoll marathon in 1998 and a few peeps did die...be careful! How'd you find out...and personal note, as I am still injured and out (doing home training today as I think I have a ruptired or torn gluteal ligament/ muscle- been down since 4/30--fat..taking charge NOW- I finally had my a-ha moment)- I miss running the absolute most! Nothing like a 15'r (miles..I don't do kilometers...lol) before 9 am! thanks for the daily dsoe of inspiration (or in some of us..insanity!)-

Oooooh, take it easy. Torn ligaments are not good!

I found out a few days after the race. I had a bad patch for about a minute during the race where I couldn't hold the pace, felt quite sick. As soon as I crossed the line and for the next day or two I had an aching, kind of sore upper chest/shoulder/left arm. I thought it was from the running and that I might have tweaked a muscle.

Anyway, shortly after I got a bad gastric bug and ended up in hospital. The bloods revealed trauma to the heart and an ECG, scan etc etc showed it was enlarged (probably due to my training over the years). I was referred onto a cardiologist who told me he thought I had suffered a small heart attack very recently ~ I knew there and then it had happened during the race as all of the pieces started to fit together. Also found out I have aortic stenosis (a type of heart murmour), so I need to be monitored somewhat and keep an eye on things.

Sorry to hear about the heart thing. I have (at least did when young) aortic stenosis too and when I tried out for track in middle school all the adults involved (mother esp lol) made it an issue and I never did it. :-/

Has not been a problem with weight lifting or treadmill though, and my present physician has told me don't even mind it.

• 3 weeks later...

That's good to know, thanks for sharding that HS

I aim to stay in good shape year round with healthy bloodwork ~ if I can do the sports I want to then I'm happy! This was a quick photo I took after my tricep/shoulder workout yesterday:

603390_343347402409338_526468209_n.jpg

I'm about 140lb right now and training for the Chch Raw Powerlifting Champs towards the end of the year.

• 5 months later...

Have you done running or lifting not both? I finished marathon in November and have been weight traing since then with running done 2/3 times a week. I have another marathon in may and started training for that this week. I know it's hard to maintain both just wondering if you've had any success or know people who have bulked up while also running

• 3 weeks later...
Have you done running or lifting not both? I finished marathon in November and have been weight traing since then with running done 2/3 times a week. I have another marathon in may and started training for that this week. I know it's hard to maintain both just wondering if you've had any success or know people who have bulked up while also running

Even when I am training for marathons/ultramarathons, I still train weights. Obviously this is a pretty watered down version of what I do when I am specifically training for PL'ing but I always have weights in my routine. For example squats are a staple when I'm PL'ing, but I don't do them when I'm running just in case I get any DOMS which would affect my run training.

The weights aren't overly heavy and the reps are higher when I'm running, they're there for functionality and to compliment my running. I find I need to keep my calories up although I naturally drop weight pretty fast, with my natural marathon/ultra bodyweight being about 130lb. Hope this helps MF.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...