How Is My Deadlifting Form? - Videos

Am I going to wreck my back?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys, I'm just getting over a back injury and my physiotherapist sais that deadlifting will help a lot. This isn't the only exercise I'm doing, as I'm looking to get lean and fit all around, but I want to make sure that my form on the deadlift is perfect before I up the weights so I don't risk injury again. If you guys could take a look at a few of these videos and let me know what I could improve on, or whether I look like I'm risking injury in any way, let me know. I'd really appreciate your feedback! P.S you might have to skip ahead in a few of the videos, I'm a shitty camera guy

Also, any tips for a beginner? I've already got the nutrition down, I've been eating nothing but whole foods for the past few years. Also just started bumping the calories way up (3-4000 a day). As far as training goes, I could definitely use a few pointers.

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9OrHTz6RI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3S8O82b-jk

Links not working. I haven't watched your videos but IMO deadlift form is very specific to each individual. I've seen guys pump out reps of 500+ lbs with ugly form and other guys with super strict form. Just squat down and pick up the damn bar. It's really not that complicated. Squat and bench press form is much more technical and has a much greater impact on the lifts.

Links need to be cut & pasted into address bar. Form looks fine in my opinion, but I'm no expert. Looks like you're putting the effort in.

One thing I'd say, especially considering your recent back problems: Why not try a weightlifting belt for more protection? Not necessarily as a permanent solution, but I think it would be sensible during your recovery period. Anyway, at least discuss it with your physio.

Weight belts are not for protecting backs, lol, they are used to be able to push abs against to create higher inter thoracic pressure. If you use a belt hoping its presence will somehow protect you from injury your in for trouble.

They're for both, in my opinion. And for other reasons as well. One of the benefits they CAN have is for protecting backs. That's why I suggested he discuss it with his physio, as where his back injury is will be one of the key bits of info as to whether or not a belt will help in his recovery. I used to use a weider belt in lifting, got my first one about 30 years ago. It was helpful at times. I used one on and off for a few years going to different gyms. I've not used a belt for over 20 years now, and that's even after some serious back problems after a double decker bus 'wrote off' a car I was driving. I still don't use a belt now, but think this chap who posted for advice may benefit from trying one, with advice from his physio. Anyway, just trying to give some hopefully helpful advice. I don't pretend to 'know it all'...

Well, I talked to my physiotherapist today about a weight belt, and he told me that they would only help for the lower back. My injury is more upper back and shoulders. I'm not noticing any ridiculous pain or anything so far though so I'd say my form is alright. I actually got up to 4 sets of 15 today; I was really proud of myself. Making some definite progress! I think I'll have to up the weight pretty soon and see if I start getting any pain from it. If you guys think my form is alright though I'm not too worried.

I don't pretend to 'know it all'...

I know I come across as a know it all. I apologize. I do actually look up research the things I write about. I know I could present it in a way that is less brash but oh well...it would be less efficient. Weight belts do not prevent injury. Fact. Weight belts can give a false sense of security and compromise the strength of your abdominal wall

Boom. Check it

http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/belts_chek.txt

http://www.muscleforlife.com/do-weightlifting-belts-work/

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/10/01/weight-lifting-belt/

I never wear a belt and would never suggest a weight belt to anyone. They are dangerous IMHO

Go raw baby

Respect. Yeah, I've personally not used a belt for years. But if I look back I do think if anything using one in the early days did help me develop good form. But I may be wrong, and I'm sure that wouldn't necessarily be the case for everyone anyway... & those articles you posted links to have strong arguments against their use at all. In my current gym I think I've only seen 2 or 3 guys using belts. In Sean Connery style I guess I'll never say never... But I certainly think my core strength these days is a lot better then it was, so I don't feel I need one, but for lower back injuries....? Maybe there's still a place for belts in some circumstances? I'm guessing you'd say that place would be the bin...? I agree that finding out robust info about things is crucial: Informed decision making being the mac daddy and such forth. Wasn't it Stewart Lee who recalled a taxi driver's frustration.... "well you can prove anything with 'facts'..."...

As for the original post, if anything I'd say try & get more of a 'hinge' mechanism going on... As explained nicely in this video on youtube: It was the first hit for deadlift form:

In your vids it looks to me like your lower back's 'pulling' a bit.

Just a thought, stick at it!

I watched finally. The path of the bar needs to be straight up and down. Right now it looks like you're moving the bar out of the way of your knees

I think it has to do with my lower back rounding. I think I have to hinge more at the hips and less at the knees; my knees have actually been getting in the way of the bar a little bit....

Watch this. I stand corrected. This guy is good

Good vid. & funny to boot. Hams & glutes. I also checked out his channel & more of his vids. A helpful one on chest press.

This thread's got me inspired to get back into more compound exercises, the last few years I've just got more and more into isolated exercises.... so next time I'm at the gym I'll be the one doing the deadlifts.

Keep liftin!

Watched the vids and took his advice... when I checked the videos it looked way off though. It's the latest 5 vids on my channel. I think my hips are too high now. My knees aren't getting in the way, but everything feels super tight, and my lower back is bending even more. Gonna shoot for the middle-ground next time.

Completely unrelated question; I decided to get serious about core workouts, and a problem I've always had with working out my core is that my back gets sore way before I even feel my abs. My lower back can be dying, but I won't even feel any burn in my abs. Any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBij5ScWDM_pkKWcTpVSIhA

Since you are a beginner I would suggest focusing on the compound main lifts. Hell, I think even advanced athletes should focus on them too but more so as a beginner.

Check out starting strength. It is a solid beginner program that you could easily, err with hard work, will put 20lbs on you in 6 weeks. If you eat enough.

• 5 years later...