niacin thiamine riboflavin????

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Hero
Elephant

niacin thiamine riboflavin????

#1 Postby Hero » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:48 pm

what do all these minerals do? I found a webpage that explains some, but I am a simple man, and therefore only understand simple answers. so can anyone interpret and please tell me what niacin, thiamine, and riboflavin, etc. do for our body? thanks.

http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/vitamin-B.php

CollegeB
Elephant

#2 Postby CollegeB » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:56 pm

I was going to look but then I thought well we have doctors here so they should know. What do i know about all this stuff? Nothing!

Aaron
Elephant

#3 Postby Aaron » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:25 am

Book for my PE507 class says (incidental that I was just reading this chapter tonight)...

Thiamine - Serves as a coenzyme for energy production from carbohydrate; essential for normal functioning of the central nervous system

Riboflavin - Functions as a coenzyme involved in the energy production from carbohydrates and fats; maintenance of healthy skin

Niacin - Functions as a coenzyme for the aerobic and anaerobic production of energy from carbohydrate; helps synthesize fat and blocks release of free fatty acids; needed for healthy skin.

These are all water soluble so your body won't store them up and if you binge you'll just excrete the extra. The only one you can really go to high on is Niacin. Thiamine and Niacin can be gotten from whole grains. Riboflavin from leafy greens. All three from beans and enriched grain products.

Enzymes in your body help regulate the diverse chemical reactions that happen. Coenzymes, like these three, form half of an enzyme.

If those bagels you eat are enriched with these three I'm guessing you don't need to worry about them ;)

Hero
Elephant

#4 Postby Hero » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:08 pm

i was just curious what they did

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”