Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:57 pm 
Elephant

A little off-topic: i can't recommend hormonal contraception. It's NOT good for your body. I think nowadays there are other safe alternatives, condoms and ... *lacks english word* femidoms? Silicon things used by the woman... like internal condom *lol* Works very well ;)
Polluting your body with hormones and disturbing your natural cycle isn't a very clever thing to do. It really puts me off that physicians invented and promoted this practise, so that it's very common and normal now. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:59 pm 
Elephant

Most condoms = not vegan

Although I suspect they're incidentally not vegan rather than directly, if that makes sense... Like the manufacturers would make them without casein if casein prices rose because cows weren't being milked for other things? Or something? My brain just failed to be able to make sentences. I'm taking a break :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:05 pm 
Elephant

Aaron wrote:
Most condoms = not vegan

True, but at least we here have vegan brands 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:08 pm 
Gorilla

Daywalker wrote:
A little off-topic: i can't recommend hormonal contraception. It's NOT good for your body. I think nowadays there are other safe alternatives, condoms and ... *lacks english word* femidoms? Silicon things used by the woman... like internal condom *lol* Works very well ;)
Polluting your body with hormones and disturbing your natural cycle isn't a very clever thing to do. It really puts me off that physicians invented and promoted this practise, so that it's very common and normal now. :evil:

But what about if one's own hormonal cycles, while natural, are problematic? I've got friends who get such bad cramps and that sort of thing they can't even stand, and various other things like that. There are a multitude of small and large issues that hormonal birth control seems to fix, incidental to the whole preventing pregnancy thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:12 pm 
Elephant

Aaron wrote:
FormLino: I think if you understand life to begin before implantation and have the understanding that hormonal BC causes an inhospitable environment I think that one may not necesarrily have to ride the Catholic esque belief pony. Although that segment of society is probably not well populated :)

Well, if one is against all birth control as concept, then I can't see any other reason than believing that sex not open to procreation is wrong. I see what you are saying above, but that would lead a person to be opposed only to those specific forms of birth control and not all forms together (e.g., including condoms).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:16 pm 
Gorilla

Does anyone know where vegan condoms are available (here in the states or online?) I've never seen any of the brands the vegan page mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:25 pm 
Elephant

VM:
Quote:
There are a multitude of small and large issues that hormonal birth control seems to fix, incidental to the whole preventing pregnancy thing

True dat.

FL:
I think what I was saying broke somewhere but essentially... nevermind me :P My head broke trying to discuss discussions.

It's funny. I was raised in a synagogue where we spent all this time going over nuances of text. Whether people walked or walked fast and what that meant in the grand scheme of things. Whether a word meant that they smiled or grinned or something like that to try to find insight. In 40 years when I've naturally lost all my hair, rather than shaving it as I do now, I hope I've got the ability to examine as minute nuances as they can. When I try it's as if I'm trying to catch water in my hands, I get most of it but there's always something slipping just out of my grasp.

VM (again):
Foodfight in portland oregon. There's a few places online I think too but you'd have to google them up. Isn't there a vegan sex shop online?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:37 pm 
Gorilla

Aaron wrote:
VM (again):
Foodfight in portland oregon. There's a few places online I think too but you'd have to google them up. Isn't there a vegan sex shop online?

Foodfight, good to know, thanks! On the other - I don't know, but if there isn't there should be! And if there is I shall endeavor to find it, because that sounds like a fun site :wink:

Just out of curiosity, what part of Portland are you in? (Not looking for an address, just wondering, SW, NW, etc.) I go up and stay at a house in SW about every other weekend. I know madcat is in Portland too....why is it that I'm up there so often and have never met you Portland vegans??

Oh, and I understood where you were going with your previous comments, no worries. The sentences might have been jumbled in your thoughts but they came out ok:) And, I think you're right. I don't think condoms are intentionally non-vegan, it doesn't seem particularly necessary for them to be. (Except the lambskin ones, ewwww. Can you imagine pulling lambskin over your.....EWWWWWW)

There. This thread is sufficiently hijacked :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:56 pm 
Elephant

Aaron wrote:
FL:
I think what I was saying broke somewhere but essentially... nevermind me :P My head broke trying to discuss discussions.

'scool. I have a bad habit of not typing out everything I am thinking and therefore not being clear about where I'm going in a discussion. I certainly get what you are saying, and I do think there are actually a fair number of people who do believe that. I know that is a huge part of the resistance to the Plan-B type of contraception, so I'm sure there are people who feel similarly about the pill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:04 pm 
Gorilla

Plan B requiring a prescription still is utterly absurd. The FDA is supposed to be an apolitical administration, but here they are repeatedly ignoring the advice of their medical panel, prompting the resignation of multiple experts, just because it's a controversial issue thanks to my buddies over on the religious right. Gotta love it.
I'm just glad I'm both educated enough and affluent enough (at least by family and association, if not personally at the moment :) ) to have the ability to pursue all possibilities when I have a medical need. I can't imagine being say, a 18yr old poor single girl in Mississippi.
Ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:28 am 
Elephant

Quote:
1Plan B requiring a prescription still is utterly absurd. 2I can't imagine being say, a 18yr old poor single girl in Mississippi.

1 - Word.
2 - Defacto prohibition of abortion. Not dejuris or dejur or whatever it is, but same net outcome. It's effective ban if not a legal one. Still denying choice.

Also I'm in SE @ 29th and Division (About 12 blocks from FoodFight). You should come by sometime. I'm busy with classes most of the time right now. But come winter break I should be freeer. Haha. I used three e's in a word :D Go me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:01 pm 
Gorilla

FormicaLinoleum wrote:
Well, if one is against all birth control as concept, then I can't see any other reason than believing that sex not open to procreation is wrong.

Some of the religious zealots believe that deliberate childlessness is a sin. 6.7 Billion people on this planet, & they believe everyone should procreate. :shock:

Guess my husband & I are living in sin after all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:01 pm 
Manatee

Hey… no one asked where I live…. I’m feeling a little unloved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:02 pm 
Gorilla

madcat wrote:
Hey… no one asked where I live…. I’m feeling a little unloved.

:oops: Sorry, I thought it was implied - that's why I said vegans plural :)
What part of town are you in?
I think it'd be awesome if we all got together for lunch or something sometime, especially if it were a day Rob + Topher could come up to. Portland is so much better for vegan food than Corvallis!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:27 pm 
Manatee

i live in SE thanks for asking