NEON PEE

I've noticed the same thing, and it bothers me.

My pee doesn't turn bright freaking yellow when I eat fruits & veggies all day long and get my vitamins that way, why should it be that color when I consume vitamins via tablet? Makes me think that it's some unnecessary color additive that's causing it, rather than the vitamins themselves.

It is vitamins and the such that aren't absorbed getting peed out.

As far as I know, this is true. It happens to everyone. When we take vitamins in pill form, we can only absorb and "use" a very small percent what what it lists on the bottle. All the rest is eliminated in urine and other methods of elimination.

Vitamins in liquid form are far superior as far as I'm concerned and even better, just eating food sources of the vitamins is the best bet. But if you're taking a multivitamin, which is recomended for everyone, not just vegans, yeah, you will get a little more color in your urine. Nothing to be worried about.

If you are dehydrated you will probably get the same result, a significant difference in the color of urine. If you are very well hydrated, it will most likely be pretty clear.

-Robert

I'm always taking a variety of vitamins and minerals at any one time and my urine is always clear too. I'm like Topher though, I drink gallons of water a day.

Obviously we all know that drinking a lot of water is good for us, but there is a school of thought that you can drink too much and as a result 'flush' from your body vitamins, minerals and nutrients regardless if they were absorbed from normal food or as a tablet supplement.

From jamiesonvitamins.com:

Question 6: Why does urine often turn bright yellow when vitamin B- complex or a multivitamin supplement is used?

Answer: This is caused by the riboflavin (vitamin B2), which has an intense yellow colour. If you are taking more vitamins than you need, you get rid of the excess through the urine. This is a natural process and no cause for alarm.

Answer: This is caused by the riboflavin (vitamin B2), which has an intense yellow colour. If you are taking more vitamins than you need, you get rid of the excess through the urine. This is a natural process and no cause for alarm.

What fruits & veggies are high in riboflavin?

Got this from the University of Maryland Medical Center web site:

The best sources of riboflavin include brewer's yeast, almonds, organ meats, whole grains, wheat germ, wild rice, mushrooms, soybeans, milk, yogurt, eggs, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and spinach. Flours and cereals are often fortified with riboflavin.

Something tells me that there is an unnecessary high level of B-2 in supplements--I mean, not even taking a bunch of spirulina (high B-vit. source) turns my urine into anything resembling a caylume glow stick like a tablet does. Strange.

• 7 months later...

Some drug users at my old work used to take riboflavin to make their pee yellow despite having watered it down for drug testing.

To me a side benefit is that I remember to take them when I have clear pee. I take a b-vitamin complex (for B-12) which is left over from my brieg non-vegan period.