Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Favorite Protein Shake
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:28 pm 
Rabbit

What are some are your favorite Protein Shake creations? In the summer, I would make a shake using soymilk and extra powder to make the shkae really thick and freeze it for a few hours to make it taste like icecream.
I was thinking of starting up the powder again, but want more variety instead of soymilk. What do u think of using fruit juice? Is that a good combo? I have a juicer, so I was thinking of juicing apples, pears, oranges and/or carrots and mixing in the powder. WOuld that taste nasty? lol

"Don't Hassel the Hoff!"

"Don't Mess with the 'S'!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

I have made shakes with chocolate soy powder, with a few spoons of cocoa, a few spoons of peanut butter, soy milk, and a little sugar. That's awesome. I think that adding fruit flavours to the powder would make me sick, especially if they are citrus. Maybe it'd work with strawberries or bananas, but I don't really like either of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:21 pm 
Rabbit

Why would adding fruits to protein powders not be a good idea? I just made one today with OJ... it was delicious! From what u wrote, though, I hope it doesn't cause me tummy problems later!

"Don't Hassel the Hoff!"

"Don't Mess with the 'S'!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:45 pm 
Manatee

It might make it taste better. In my opinion soy protein tastes super nasty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

well the type of protein i get is like powdery thick stuff. It works in a milkshake, which is thick anyway. But if I put it with orange flavour, it'd be a bit sick I think. Like a orange milkshake, doesn't seem right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

If people are tired of Soy Protein (and to some degree...who isn't?), try hemp protein, rice protein, pea protein, or just eat more whole foods that are protein-rich.

Hemp protein may be the best for us and for the planet, but there are many alternatives to soy. I still use some soy protein, but I cut down on it, just because I used it primarily for 5 years and wanted to do something else. Just like when I got off the cruise ship where I ate rice 3 times a day, I didn't touch rice for about a year! I just needed a break and to go a different route.

Change is good and highly encouraged as long as it is moving forward.

-Thin Thin Supplement Him

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:57 am 
Rabbit

I'll second Robert's comments on hemp protein. Shelled hempseed, with its high content of essential amino acids and essentail fatty acids is quite possibly the most nutritious plant food found in nature. The total amount of nutrients deemed "essential" is almost two-thirds of the entire hempseed! Does any other food have such a high density of nutrition? Perhaps only chlorella does.

Higher in protein than meat, fish, eggs or milk, hemp has exceptionally high quality, highly digestible protein owing to its globular edestin and albumin variety. Unlike soy, hemp is free of trypsin inhibitors and oligosaccharides (long sugar chains) which impair protein absorption and cause digestive problems, respectively. Also, whereas soy is common food allergy and is raised as a GMO to a significant extent, hemp is rarely allergenic and is GMO free.

Here's an interesting comparison of the essential amino acid profile of hempseed with egg whites (which mainstream body builders seem to heap so much unwarranted praise for):

In mg/g

hempseed / egg whites

leucine 18.80 / 9.50
lysine 9.10 / 6.48
threonine 10.30 / 4.77
phen+tyro 21.90 / 6.89
valine 14.20 / 8.42
meth+cyst 9.60 / 4.20
isoleucine 11.40 / 6.98
tryptophan 3.90 / 1.64

Nothing has enabled me to gain muscle mass like hemp has. I value it so much that I generally purchase 25 lbs of whole hemp seed at a time from a vendor in NYC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:59 am 
Elephant

What's the cost per protein gram on hemp seed?

Or even just the cost of a decent sized amount?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:12 am 
Rabbit

I purchase 25 lbs unshelled for about $85.00 when shipping is added from Galaxy Global Eatery. This is the most cost effective means of purchasing hemp through this company (and the best I've seen anywhere) but I must admit a preference for the higher priced shelled hemp which I can add to a high power blender and make great tasting hemp milk. Here's their site:

http://www.galaxygloblaleatery.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:32 am 
Site Admin

Hey Michael,

Thanks for all the info about Hemp. Too many people overlook the power of hemp. Some people discovered it a while back and now use it as their primary protein source.

Vega is also hemp based. www.myvega.com for those interested.

I'm there are plenty of cool companies that sell hemp protein in various forms. I may do some searching and post more links later on.

Go Hemp Go Hemp Go Hemp Go Hemp Go Hemp Go Hemp Go Hemp

:D

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:54 am 
Elephant

Heh. It's a shame I just dropped $250 on a year's supply of the builder bars.

But this stuff looks good. I'll have to keep this in mind when I need a break from bars. Ty for the heads up : )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:43 am 
Rabbit

Sorry, I messed up the link with a typo. The correct address is:

http://www.galaxyglobaleatery.com

Check out the link on books written about hemp--it's amazing that there are several titles out there praising the medicinal/therapeutic value of a food product the majority of people are completely unaware of...and yet it predates the use of soybeans by several centuries.

Richard Rose, founder of HempNut, Inc. and food entrepenuer who has made a living creating many innovative soy based foods over the last 20 years has recently focused his interest on hemp exclusively, calling it "the soybean of the 20th century". When that happens of course, the disinformation campaign by vendors hurt by soy product sales will have switch gears and find something about hemp to malign. I can see it all now--how they'll be claiming it's marijuana in disguise...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:49 am 
Rabbit

Sorry, I messed up the link with a typo. The correct address is:

http://www.galaxyglobaleatery.com

Check out the link on books written about hemp--it's amazing that there are several titles out there praising the medicinal/therapeutic value of a food product the majority of people are completely unaware of...and yet it predates the use of soybeans by several centuries. For protein assimilation, hemp is the clear winner over soy, and like Robert, I've noticeably de-emphasized my soy intake since discovering hemp. If anyone ever gives you any guff about how vegetarians don't have a bona fide protein source that can compete with meat, whey or whatever, you can tell them that the very best protein source hails from the plant kingdom after all!

Richard Rose, founder of HempNut, Inc. and food entrepenuer who has made a living creating many innovative soy based foods over the last 20 years has recently focused his interest on hemp exclusively, calling it "the soybean of the 20th century". When that happens of course, the disinformation campaign by vendors hurt by soy product sales will have switch gears and find something about hemp to malign. I can see it all now--how they'll be claiming it's marijuana in disguise...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:13 pm 
Elephant

Regarding Vega, I noticed on Vegan Essentials that one of the reviews was "well it tastes like it's good for you". Does this mean it's really ick tasting?

I don't like to drink shakes. If it tastes bad, I know I won't do it (then I have wasted my money and have no gains). Is there any hemp shake that is tasty?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

To be honest, Vega is kind of hit and miss with a lot of people. Some love it, and some don't love it. Only a few I've heard say, "It's ok" like that had no opinion. I prefer the Vega Bars, I eat them all the time. The powder I don't use as much. Topher likes the powder better than the bars, but I think 9 out of 10 people prefer the bars over the powder.

So yeah, it can be hit and miss, but worth a try since it is probably the healthiest and has some of the best ethics behind it.

-Rob