Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:49 pm 
Elephant

I like nutribiotic rice protein. Depending on the flavour i mix it with bananas, rice milk, cocoa powder or vanilla extract or berries and usually a scoop of a green supplement like barely green or something and some ground flax seeds. I use hemp protien once in a while but its pretty grainy. Vega's not too bad, i tried a sample. If i could afford it I would love to get it because of all the great stuff it has in it.

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:37 pm 
Stegosaurus

I swear sometimes I think I am from a different planet than all other people.

Am I really the only one on this board that thinks Pure Trim tastes amazing for a vegan protein powder? :shock: :?

I guess my tastebuds are freaks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:52 pm 
Manatee

CG, I'll be letting you know soon. My Pure trim is on the way!

Rice protein tastes nasty! it tastes like a$$ :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:41 pm 
Rabbit

My vote goes to Vega (berry). i add it to my smoothie and it tastes awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:09 pm 
Elephant

I like all the protein powders i've had except for one I think its Genisoy its 100% pure soy protein and their all veg protein is terrible too. I really dont know how i finished those 2 canisters but it took a whole semester. The plain genisoy protein that has no flavor (green can) lasts about 2 weeks. I like the nutribiotic rice protein just to have a different flavor. The genisoy brand tasted a little sweet to me the first time, but subsequent tastings have let me down. If hemp powder wasnt so expensive i'd have it more often, its great on bananas. Lately i mix it in with some soy milk, grape nuts, any fruit I have around, and some flax meal. I'm with Nat I like pure trim better than vega, but i will consume either one since neither are bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:24 am 
Site Admin

Right on man,

Yeah, sometimes I just take whatever I can get, as long as it is vegan. It depends on where I am, how much money I have, etc. For example Genisoy is far cheaper than any other kind I've found so at certain times when I'm out of money that is what I go for.

There are some out there that I have a really heard time getting down, but sometimes just bite the bullet and go for it and then shove some berries of something like that in my mouth to diffuse the poor flavor of the protein. :P I guess you could call it a chaser or something. Juice works well, fruit, even peanut butter, just something to toss in my mouth after drinking some of the poor-tasting supplements. It's worth a try if you want the extra protein in powder form and don't like the taste.

-Rob

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:42 am 
Elephant

Some of the stuff like the veg made me sick to my stomach. I found that i could tolerate small amounts in the watered down pasta sauce they serve in the cafeteria, actually made the sauce a little thicker, though tasted pretty bad. Nice thing about vega and pure trim is they are great on their own just in water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:59 am 
Rabbit

Is Vega available in stores? Never seen or heard of it until now. How many grams of protein are in a serving?

"Don't Hassel the Hoff!"

"Don't Mess with the 'S'!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Shelby,

Here is some info from Brendan, the formulator of Vega. It was from another thread in this section about supplements:

Hello,

Just thought I’d clear a few things up myself. I did formulate Vega; it’s not something I just endorse. I’ll admit that $80 Canadian is much too high. There should never be a store in Canada that sells it for more than $75, that’s suggested retail. Most sell it for $67, that’s standard. Here’s one selling it for $69.99 CDN:

http://www.aviva.ca/shop/products.asp?i ... &catid=268

A serving is 500ml, a pint. So it’s really quite large, most people will be full on ½ a serving.

Its price is also a reflection of attention to detail and quality. It’s certainly not just a protein. It eliminates the need for several products. Many people have indicated that they no longer want to take several pills a day. It eliminates that need and provides food-sources nutrients in a convenient form. It also has 2.5 grams of maca which is an excellent vegetable for the adrenal glands to provide energy by nourishing the adrenals as opposed to stimulating them which refined sugar and caffeine does. I used to buy all of these foods separately and blend them together – now that was expensive and time consuming. However it was worth it since my performance improved dramatically.

Also, where else can you get a ready-to-eat nutritionally complete meal with 25 grams of protein from five sources (hemp, pea, rice, flax, chlorella - synergistically combined to create a “flat line” amino acid profile), 7 grams of essential fatty acids, 9 grams of fibre, enzymes, probiotics and a berry complex from antioxidants for lest than $5? A starchy muffin and a coffee cost that. I’m certainly not suggesting that everyone must consume Vega to be healthy or perform well, but as with all premium foods – especially in a convenient form – the price will be higher than some. In Canada many health food store workers are reporting that one of its biggest selling features is that it is considerably cheaper than buying all of what it replaces. One can certainly take the time to make healthy meals, but not every one has that option – Vega is one solution.

As far as supporting athletes such as Robert by providing them with product; it’s something I’m happy to do. As a professional athlete I appreciate how long it takes to get to a high level. It’s a way for me to give back to sport in general. When I see someone like Robert who puts so much time and effort into his training and promoting a vegan lifestyle, I like to be a part of it and support it however I can. Plus of course it helps spread the word about Vega.

I know I’m going on here but…

You may be interested to know that it’s been reported that between 70%-80% of regular Vega users have replaced their whey-based meal replacements or protein drinks. I’m sure I don’t need to explain the environmental implications of that. Not to mention the “real cost”, referring to the amount of energy needed to produce the ingredients. Hemp (the number one ingredient in Vega) is an extremely efficient crop and is the 2nd most efficient way to produce protein known. It is followed only by chlorella, an algae from Japan that quadrupeds every 24 hours and is 70% protein. One bottle of Vega contains 42.5 grams of it. It’s being studied by NASA for astronaut nourishment during extended space flight since it does not require soil to grow, just water and sun. No soil also means it does not stretch out already “tired” arable land further. Meaning that it is also not subject to low nutrient levels produced by over farming – big bonus. Anyway, its monetary cost is in sharp contrast to its “real cost.” I write about this in detail in my book Thrive: A guide to optimal health and performance though plant-based whole foods. (the Vega formula was actually based on my book http://www.brendanbrazier.com/book/index.html ).

By supporting the kind of agriculture that I have chosen to do by formulating Vega, it will bring the future cost of these “undervalued” crops down, so will actually make them more available. Yes, this is still a ways in the future but within 25 years these high-end ingredients will be cheaper than the “artificially” cheeped commodity prices charged for soy and whey. Big companies would not take a chance because the margins are so low, but I did. Someone had to do it.

That’s it for now…

Brendan

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm 
Rabbit

Wow, that Vega stuff looks really beneficial! It's quite expensive tho. Is it really worth the price? Also, for those of u who use it, which flavor do u recommend?

"Don't Hassel the Hoff!"

"Don't Mess with the 'S'!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:36 am 
Stegosaurus

Shelby wrote:
Wow, that Vega stuff looks really beneficial! It's quite expensive tho. Is it really worth the price? Also, for those of u who use it, which flavor do u recommend?

Rob sent me a couple samples, and the berry one kept me full for almost 5 hours, when I mixed it with oranges and banana's in a blender, but I'd buy it, or the bars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:54 am 
Elephant

There's a thing in what ljk11 said about rice protein.

I can't be the only one seeing it.

Meanwhile, I snagged on ebay a bunch of the clif builders for like 35 cents a piece including shipping. So yeah, that's my favorite for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:58 pm 
Elephant

robert wrote:
To be honest, Vega is kind of hit and miss with a lot of people. Some love it, and some don't love it. Only a few I've heard say, "It's ok" like that had no opinion. I prefer the Vega Bars, I eat them all the time.

The powder was definitely a miss for me. I thought it tasted like dirt (that some strawberries had been ground into?) I bought a whole container, and used a little in my morning smoothie to get rid of it. Took me months!

Now, the bars are another story. I keep some in my office, some if my car (good when going to the grocery store after work and being able to avoid the junky temptations by telling myself I have something snacky and healthier in the car).

I am a very lazy breakfast maker, but I know it's important, so I make myself a morning smoothie. Usually with the following ingredients:
pomegranate juice, aloe vera juice, Vegan Complete protein powder (pea and rice based), hemp protein powder, maca root powder, flax meal, the 'innards' of two Vegan Joint Supreme capsules, frozen berries. Sometimes, I will soak some goji berries in the juice for a few minutes before I add the rest of the ingredients. (sounds a lot like the ingredients in Vega, but it tastes much better, IMO!)

Pea/rice protein is definitely more accepted by my digestive tract! And I don't like the idea of eating concentrated or isolated soy protein because of the studies that suggest it increases risk of breast cancer (which is not a problem with soy FOODS---like anything, it seems that often when you extract parts of something that was whole, you either get something that is ineffective, or something that poses a risk.)