Nutritional Yeast

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Shelby
Rabbit

Nutritional Yeast

#1 Postby Shelby » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:47 pm

What is everyone's opinion on Nutritional Yeast? Do u find it beneficial? Is it easy to digest? What are some favorite recipes u use with it? I know it's a good source of B's, fiber, and protein!

Thanks!
"May I always be the type of person my dog thinks I am"

"Don't Hassel the Hoff!"

"Don't Mess with the 'S'!"

sinisterkungfu
Gorilla

#2 Postby sinisterkungfu » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:52 pm

I don't know about the nutritional value, but I make a pretty good "cheese" substitute out of it.

Richard
Site Admin

#3 Postby Richard » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:42 pm

what does it look like?

SeaSiren
Elephant

#4 Postby SeaSiren » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:06 pm

Richard wrote:what does it look like?

Flakes
http://www.bulkfoods.com/yeast.htm

I generally use it in casseroles and recently in a nut loaf. I don't like cheese, so I don't make some of the recipes which use it to make a cheese replacement. But you can do that also.

Michelle
Elephant

#5 Postby Michelle » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:34 pm

My mom introduced me to nutritional yeast last week. I popped some popcorn in coconut oil, then we sprinkled nutritional yeast flakes on it. Instant "cheese" popcorn!

sinisterkungfu, you must post your cheese substitute recipe. Cheese has proven to be my biggest challenge in the transition to being vegan.

sinisterkungfu
Gorilla

#6 Postby sinisterkungfu » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:03 am

Michelle wrote:My mom introduced me to nutritional yeast last week. I popped some popcorn in coconut oil, then we sprinkled nutritional yeast flakes on it. Instant "cheese" popcorn!

sinisterkungfu, you must post your cheese substitute recipe. Cheese has proven to be my biggest challenge in the transition to being vegan.

Sure. I'll post it when I'm home some time. I'm at work right now.

chesty leroux
Elephant

#7 Postby chesty leroux » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:45 am

I love nutritional yeast. I sprinkle it...ok maybe not..I spoon it onto beans on toast. It's good on alot of stuff. I'm about to run out! ah! I have a brand thats really good and fortified with b12 and some other vitamins.
If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution - Emma Goldman

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming

sinisterkungfu
Gorilla

#8 Postby sinisterkungfu » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:02 am

sinisterkungfu wrote:
Michelle wrote:My mom introduced me to nutritional yeast last week. I popped some popcorn in coconut oil, then we sprinkled nutritional yeast flakes on it. Instant "cheese" popcorn!

Sure. I'll post it when I'm home some time. I'm at work right now.

I found the one that's from the book I have, online:

Melty Nutritional Yeast "Cheese"
p.59, The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook

1 c nutritional yeast flakes
1/3 c white flour
1 tsp salt
2 c water
1/4 - 1/2 c margarine (or oil)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
2 tsp wet mustard (opt)

Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan. Gradually add water, stirring with a whisk , making a smooth paste and then thinning with the remaining water. Place on heat and stir constantly until it thickens and bubbles. Let it bubble for about 30 seconds and remove from heat. Whip in the margarine (and mustard). The sauce may get thick if it sits for a while. If so, heat it up and whip in a small amount of water.

VARIATION:

For a richer, stretchier sauce that's good on pizza, substitute for the flour 3 Tbsp cornstarch and 1 Tbsp flour, whip in 1 cup oil instead of margarine, add as much as 1 cup more water at the end, as needed to make a thick, smooth, pourable sauce. Pour it on your pizza and for the last few minutes of baking, put it under the until it forms a stretchy, golden-brown speckled skin.

skee-lo
Rabbit

#9 Postby skee-lo » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:25 pm

Is nutritional yeast different than the yeast used in breads? The reason why I'm asking is because the yeast in bread gives me that uncomfortable feeling of having to go to the bathroom but I can't. The funny thing is I never used to be so sensitive to yeast until I became a vegan. Your body really does change. There's a vegan meal replacement powder but I'm reluctant to get it because it contains nutritional yeast.

Update:
Nevermind my question. I just realized that one of the links posted above explains the different types of yeast. :roll:

Tarz
Elephant

#10 Postby Tarz » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:43 am

Richard wrote:what does it look like?

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-loc ... 79698.html

This is widely available in the UK. I bought my tub about two years ago and used it once or twice I think. Started using it again over the last couple of weeks, even though my tub is long since past its use-by date.

I don't like the taste in itself, but is OK when mixed with other things.

sinisterkungfu
Gorilla

#11 Postby sinisterkungfu » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:04 pm

skee-lo wrote:Is nutritional yeast different than the yeast used in breads? The reason why I'm asking is because the yeast in bread gives me that uncomfortable feeling of having to go to the bathroom but I can't. The funny thing is I never used to be so sensitive to yeast until I became a vegan. Your body really does change. There's a vegan meal replacement powder but I'm reluctant to get it because it contains nutritional yeast.

Update:
Nevermind my question. I just realized that one of the links posted above explains the different types of yeast. :roll:

Yes, completely different.

Richard
Site Admin

#12 Postby Richard » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:27 pm

Harr, flakey! Is it intense like marmite?

Tarz
Elephant

#13 Postby Tarz » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:39 pm

Nope, nowhere near as strong as marmite.

It's very dry, and therefore has to be mixed with something really. It's not 'bitty' as it looks on the tub, as you say flakey.

ljk11
Manatee

#14 Postby ljk11 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:29 pm

Ha, I must admit to clicking on this thread for the sole purpose of viewing Tarz' avatar. :roll:

Tarz
Elephant

#15 Postby Tarz » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:36 am

ljk11 wrote:Ha, I must admit to clicking on this thread for the sole purpose of viewing Tarz' avatar. :roll:

:wink: :D

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”