Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Nutritional Yeast
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:47 pm 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:25 pm
Posts: 190
What is everyone's opinion on Nutritional Yeast? Do u find it beneficial? Is it easy to digest? What are some favorite recipes u use with it? I know it's a good source of B's, fiber, and protein!

Thanks!

_________________
"May I always be the type of person my dog thinks I am"

"Don't Hassel the Hoff!"

"Don't Mess with the 'S'!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:52 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:42 pm
Posts: 533
I don't know about the nutritional value, but I make a pretty good "cheese" substitute out of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:42 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 6065
Location: England
what does it look like?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:06 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 11:05 pm
Posts: 2651
Richard wrote:
what does it look like?

Flakes
http://www.bulkfoods.com/yeast.htm

I generally use it in casseroles and recently in a nut loaf. I don't like cheese, so I don't make some of the recipes which use it to make a cheese replacement. But you can do that also.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:34 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:30 pm
Posts: 1279
Location: Houston, TX
My mom introduced me to nutritional yeast last week. I popped some popcorn in coconut oil, then we sprinkled nutritional yeast flakes on it. Instant "cheese" popcorn!

sinisterkungfu, you must post your cheese substitute recipe. Cheese has proven to be my biggest challenge in the transition to being vegan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:03 am 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:42 pm
Posts: 533
Michelle wrote:
My mom introduced me to nutritional yeast last week. I popped some popcorn in coconut oil, then we sprinkled nutritional yeast flakes on it. Instant "cheese" popcorn!

sinisterkungfu, you must post your cheese substitute recipe. Cheese has proven to be my biggest challenge in the transition to being vegan.


Sure. I'll post it when I'm home some time. I'm at work right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:45 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1076
Location: Norfolk, VA
I love nutritional yeast. I sprinkle it...ok maybe not..I spoon it onto beans on toast. It's good on alot of stuff. I'm about to run out! ah! I have a brand thats really good and fortified with b12 and some other vitamins.

_________________
If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution - Emma Goldman

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:02 am 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:42 pm
Posts: 533
sinisterkungfu wrote:
Michelle wrote:
My mom introduced me to nutritional yeast last week. I popped some popcorn in coconut oil, then we sprinkled nutritional yeast flakes on it. Instant "cheese" popcorn!

sinisterkungfu, you must post your cheese substitute recipe. Cheese has proven to be my biggest challenge in the transition to being vegan.


Sure. I'll post it when I'm home some time. I'm at work right now.


I found the one that's from the book I have, online:

Melty Nutritional Yeast "Cheese"
p.59, The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook

1 c nutritional yeast flakes
1/3 c white flour
1 tsp salt
2 c water
1/4 - 1/2 c margarine (or oil)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
2 tsp wet mustard (opt)

Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan. Gradually add water, stirring with a whisk , making a smooth paste and then thinning with the remaining water. Place on heat and stir constantly until it thickens and bubbles. Let it bubble for about 30 seconds and remove from heat. Whip in the margarine (and mustard). The sauce may get thick if it sits for a while. If so, heat it up and whip in a small amount of water.

VARIATION:

For a richer, stretchier sauce that's good on pizza, substitute for the flour 3 Tbsp cornstarch and 1 Tbsp flour, whip in 1 cup oil instead of margarine, add as much as 1 cup more water at the end, as needed to make a thick, smooth, pourable sauce. Pour it on your pizza and for the last few minutes of baking, put it under the until it forms a stretchy, golden-brown speckled skin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:25 pm 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:10 pm
Posts: 28
Is nutritional yeast different than the yeast used in breads? The reason why I'm asking is because the yeast in bread gives me that uncomfortable feeling of having to go to the bathroom but I can't. The funny thing is I never used to be so sensitive to yeast until I became a vegan. Your body really does change. There's a vegan meal replacement powder but I'm reluctant to get it because it contains nutritional yeast.

Update:
Nevermind my question. I just realized that one of the links posted above explains the different types of yeast. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:43 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:02 am
Posts: 1193
Richard wrote:
what does it look like?


http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-loc ... 79698.html

This is widely available in the UK. I bought my tub about two years ago and used it once or twice I think. Started using it again over the last couple of weeks, even though my tub is long since past its use-by date.

I don't like the taste in itself, but is OK when mixed with other things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:04 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:42 pm
Posts: 533
skee-lo wrote:
Is nutritional yeast different than the yeast used in breads? The reason why I'm asking is because the yeast in bread gives me that uncomfortable feeling of having to go to the bathroom but I can't. The funny thing is I never used to be so sensitive to yeast until I became a vegan. Your body really does change. There's a vegan meal replacement powder but I'm reluctant to get it because it contains nutritional yeast.

Update:
Nevermind my question. I just realized that one of the links posted above explains the different types of yeast. :roll:


Yes, completely different.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:27 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 6065
Location: England
Harr, flakey! Is it intense like marmite?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:39 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:02 am
Posts: 1193
Nope, nowhere near as strong as marmite.

It's very dry, and therefore has to be mixed with something really. It's not 'bitty' as it looks on the tub, as you say flakey.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:29 pm 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:34 pm
Posts: 249
Location: The Great White North
Ha, I must admit to clicking on this thread for the sole purpose of viewing Tarz' avatar. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:36 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:02 am
Posts: 1193
ljk11 wrote:
Ha, I must admit to clicking on this thread for the sole purpose of viewing Tarz' avatar. :roll:


:wink: :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group