complete vs. incomplete proteins

ljk11

hi,

is soy a complete protein? HOw about hemp?

I know beans aren't "complete' and need rice or something else to make it the complete sort of protein.

NOt too informed on this issue. Can anyone here enlighten me?

Soy is complete. I'm not sure about hemp.

It really doesn't matter though, it's not like you have to get every amino acid all at one time! Your body is going to break down the proteins in to aminos anyway and use them individually. Eat a variety of protein foods throughout the day and you will be fine. Combining foods for protein was an unscientific "theory" in the 70's which has proven completely false.

Thanks - what other foods do the "completing"..rice, for instance?

This is day 2 of me eating no animal products. Ever since I read a comment about eggs coming from a chicken's butt (thanks, TARZ)...It is just not appealing...

Some of the complete protein food sources that come immediately to mind:

Soybeans, hemp, quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat.

As is not uncommon in legumes, soybeans contain phytic acid which acts to inhibit some protein absorption. The same cannot be said of hemp and the digestibility and assimibility of its protein is superior to soy. Soy is somewhat limiting in its level of the amino acid methionine, if memory serves me correct--in other words, it just barely makes the complete protein list.

Concerning all that complete-protein-discussion:

1. Usually we (western countries) eat to much. We should worry about that instead of always fearing to be undernourished

2. It is absolutely not necessary to look for "complete" proteins. Maybe this little article I just found explains what science is about.

Concerning all that complete-protein-discussion:

1. Usually we (western countries) eat to much. We should worry about that instead of always fearing to be undernourished

2. It is absolutely not necessary to look for "complete" proteins. Maybe this little article I just found explains what science is about.

Flanders, I agree with you on people consuming to much protein. Everytime I hear people get thier panties/boxers in a knot over protein intake I get fired up! LOL

I understand if you are bulking up or if your job requires you to be very physical that you should make a little note to self while following a vegan diet to ensure that your diet is healthy overall, but this "protein" stuff is out of control.

In many cases.

Rye grain is high in Lysine. If you have a fear of not getting enough Lysine, then just add some rye to whatever it is that you are munching on. Rice and beans, Soybeans, spelt, quinoa, and millet are all complete!

'Vegan Power'

Steve