New favourite

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#16 Postby compassionategirl » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:01 pm

robert wrote:
That is like a vegan vs. vegan battle isn't it? Or something like that.

Both are vegan, both are great, and I enjoy both and recommend both. They vary a bit, or a lot, depending on how you look at it, but both are alright by me.



While I did not intend on getting drawn back into discussion on this forum, I feel compelled to clarify a few things so nobody is misled.

Vega vs. Pure Trim IS NOT a vegan vs. vegan battle. Vega is company that promotes a vegan lifestyle (albeit I suspect for health reasons and not really animal rights reasons). Pure trim is the name of a shake that happens to be free of all animal ingredients, but the company is in no way a vegan company. The shakes, called "pure trim", are produced and sold by a company called Awareness Life, which DOES NOT promote a vegan lifestyle. In fact, just the opposite - when you order pure trim you get a booklet, by Awareness Life, with it which contains info on the "Pure Trim System" which encourages you to eat pieces of corpses like turkey, fish, buffalo, lamb, chicken, etc.

So yes, the Pure trim shake is vegan and tastes about a hundred times better than vega. Not to mention the fact that it mixes better than vega too - with pure trim, you get no gritty texture, but a very creamy texture.

BUT the company that makes Pure Trim isnt wise enough to tell you to stop eating corpses for true health and longevity. Vega, on the other hand, is a vegan line that promotes a vegan lifestyle, not just one vegan product. The ethics of Vega are thus clearly better that Awareness Life.

So, it really isnt a vegan vs. vegan battle. Customers of pure trim arent mostly vegan. It isnt directed at a vegan market. The company made the shake vegan because it felt that the safest and healthiest proetin sources are neither dairy nor soy isolates, but non GMO brown rice and pea protein. They didnt set out to make a vegan shake for the purpose of making a vegan shake or furthering the vegan lifestyle, if you know what I mean.

It is really too bad that Vega doesnt taste better and especially doesnt mix better. Even after I am finished a shake, half the grit would still be at the bottom of the glass. In my opinion, there is simply no contest on taste - pure trim kicks ass. The Vega bars though are pretty good.

But for ethics, Vega kicks ass - the pure trim people probably dont even know what a "vegan" is and if they did, they dont care. They promote an animal based diet, even though the pure trim shake happens to be vegan. They dont even care to advertise the product as vegan, or put a "suitable for vegans" label on it or something -- as if that would be something to be ashamed of. They market the pure trim for carnivores. I am just glad that we were introduced to it since it is a vegan shake that tastes exceptional.

So to those that are supporting vega, good for you! :D YOur money goes to a vegan company, and that helps animals! :D To those that like the taste, I am shocked but happy that you enjoy it! :D I, however, cannot gulp down supplements daily with my nose closed the whole time, dreading every gulp. So my compromise is to make sure my supplement is still 100% vegan, even though the company selling it is not. :( If in the future, Vega comes up with a new shake that will taste and mix better, then I would drop pure trim in a heart beat and support a company that shares my world views!
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson

User avatar
robert
Site Admin
Posts: 21053
Age: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

#17 Postby robert » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:45 am

Cool, thanks for the info Nat.

I actually don't know much about Pure Trim. Since it is mentioned quite a bit on here I assumed it was just another vegan company. I'm sad to hear that is not the case :cry:

I always have to put ethics first. But I totally understand the flavor and taste are a huge part of how we make our food choices, probably the biggest factor. If people weren't a slave to their tastebuds, more and more would give up sugar, cheese, and non-vegan foods that contain those items.

So my mistake about vegan vs. vegan. I guess it's vegan vs. non-vegan or better taste in some opinions vs. inferior taste in some opinions?

I don't think it needs to be or should be a "battle" at all. It just seemed that way so I thought I'd mention it. I guess it's not a bad thing. I just learned something I didn't know. I've had Pure Trim and like it, but didn't know much about it.

The reason I know a lot about Vega is because the creator of it is a good friend of mine; Professional Vegan Ironman Triathlete Brendan Brazier. So naturally I'm familiar with it since he's stayed with me in Oregon and I've stayed with him up in Canada and we've toured a bit together and stuff like that.

Anyway Natalie, thanks for the info, it is all good to know. And I understand the taste stuff. I still use some chocolate soy protein simply because I like the taste quite a bit. I just try to support vegan companies as much as possible and in this case (for me personally) I'm supporting a good friend who is a Great Vegan Ambassador.

-Rob

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#18 Postby compassionategirl » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:14 am

robert wrote:

I always have to put ethics first.



So do I, Rob, and that is why I dont eat or wear animals. :? :?: If I didnt put ethics above cullinary pleasure, I'd be eating cheese right now, not to mention a few other animal products that I lusted for in my non-vegan days. And with all due respect, many vegans including myself "try to support vegan companies as much as possible" - you're not one of only a handful of vegans. And, the key words that you yourself used was "as much as possible".

Since you are so close to brenden, ask him to consider making a shake for those of us that are a "slave to our tastebuds." Its a win win situation-- money in his pocket, via an enlarged customer base, and happy slaves like me. Pure trim proves that you CAN have your cake and eat it too - creamy and tasty taste and texture AND health benefitss in a VEGAN supplement. Too bad the company that made this genius supplement (i.e. pure trim) wasnt Vega or another vegan company. I really wish it was.
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#19 Postby compassionategirl » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:42 am

robert wrote:

I always have to put ethics first. ....

I just try to support vegan companies as much as possible and in this case (for me personally) I'm supporting a good friend who is a Great Vegan Ambassador.

-Rob


Do you see the contradiction above, in the bolded words?

My point Rob is that we all have an overall ethical frameowork, that is constant and that we will not compromise on - ie. veganism. However, within the vegan bounds of that framework, we make ethical choices "as much as possible" - i.e. by supporting vegan companies as much as possible as opposed to vegan products of non-vegan companies. Pure trim vegan shake versus Vega vegan company is one example of that, and its mine. But I think most vegans have at least one example --if its not pure trim for them, its something else.

I therefore do not buy the insinuation that you are more ethical than I am because you support Vega and I buy pure trim. sorry.
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson

User avatar
robert
Site Admin
Posts: 21053
Age: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

#20 Postby robert » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:46 am

Natalie,

You seem to read too much into things I write. I wasn't suggesting anything. I was just saying that both are good, and thanks for the info about Pure Trim.

Sorry if that got missed.

I believe Vega is working on a number of ways to please more tastebuds.

-Rob


Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

CollegeB
Elephant
Posts: 2783
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#21 Postby CollegeB » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:49 am

Nat pries meaning out of every word. Gotta watch what you say to her. :P

Aaron
Elephant
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:57 pm
Location: Portland, OR

#22 Postby Aaron » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:50 am

*cough* lawyer *cough*

; )

<3

Tarz
Elephant
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:02 am

#23 Postby Tarz » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:43 am

They put something in the water in Toronto last night compassionategirl? :shock: :roll:
Davey's favourite tipple was "Blow My Skull", a cocktail he served in half-pint glasses consisting of rum, brandy, gin, port, Madeira, sherry and claret.

Tarz
Elephant
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:02 am

#24 Postby Tarz » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:48 am

compassionategirl wrote:
robert wrote:

I always have to put ethics first. ....

I just try to support vegan companies as much as possible and in this case (for me personally) I'm supporting a good friend who is a Great Vegan Ambassador.

-Rob


Do you see the contradiction above, in the bolded words?


No contradiction for me there. Rob will always support vegan companies first and foremost. As this isn't always possible Rob has no choice/alternative but to buy products from non-exclusively vegan producers and retailers. In doing so, Rob has not compromised his ethics whatsoever.

Tarz awaits with dread the wrath of compassionategirl........
Davey's favourite tipple was "Blow My Skull", a cocktail he served in half-pint glasses consisting of rum, brandy, gin, port, Madeira, sherry and claret.

User avatar
chesty leroux
Elephant
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Norfolk, VA

#25 Postby chesty leroux » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:59 am

Duh........NUH.......DUH.......NUh...DUHNUHDUHNUHDUHNUHDUHNUH.......

(JAWS approaches. :shock: )
If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution - Emma Goldman

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming

Tarz
Elephant
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:02 am

#26 Postby Tarz » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:30 am

Yeah Ash, I feel like a condemned man countin down his final hours whilst waitin for CG to get online and pass judgement on me......... :shock:
Davey's favourite tipple was "Blow My Skull", a cocktail he served in half-pint glasses consisting of rum, brandy, gin, port, Madeira, sherry and claret.

Tarz
Elephant
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:02 am

#27 Postby Tarz » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:53 am

I don't envy - in fact I pity - those poor unfortunates who will be prosecuted in a court of law by our very own Compash once she's practicing..... :wink:
Davey's favourite tipple was "Blow My Skull", a cocktail he served in half-pint glasses consisting of rum, brandy, gin, port, Madeira, sherry and claret.

User avatar
chesty leroux
Elephant
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Norfolk, VA

#28 Postby chesty leroux » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:57 am

Tarz wrote:I don't envy - in fact I pity - those poor unfortunates who will be prosecuted in a court of law by our very own Compash once she's practicing..... :wink:


Me too. CG is hardcore. No Mercy!!! :twisted:
If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution - Emma Goldman

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming

User avatar
Daywalker
Elephant
Posts: 1869
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: Vegan Strength Cult, German HQ
Contact:

#29 Postby Daywalker » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:28 pm

chesty leroux wrote:Me too. CG is hardcore. No Mercy!!! :twisted:


Daadaadada, daadaadada, dadadadaaaaaa! (air guitar solo)
:twisted: :roll: 8) :lol: :D

Go CG, go!
No one said it would be easy.

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#30 Postby compassionategirl » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:51 pm

robert wrote:

I always have to put ethics first. But I totally understand the flavor and taste are a huge part of how we make our food choices, probably the biggest factor. If people weren't a slave to their tastebuds, more and more would give up sugar, cheese, and non-vegan foods that contain those items.



I overreacted to your post Rob, and needlessly bit your head off. Or, as one sexy Brit puts it, "looked for offence when none was meant."

I went back to your post to try and figure out what part exactly rubbed me the wrong way. It is the paragraph I quoted above. Even though it was probably unintentional or at least subconscious, it appears to suggest that I dont put ethics above taste and it compares me to the likes of non-vegans in that regard.

Anyway, may I offer you your head back (if you dont mind the bite marks), along with an apology? :(

tarz -- you just threw in your two cents to try and get me worked up so I can strap you to a chair and punish you hard again. But no strapping you to a chair as a form of punishment for you anymore -- you enjoyed the thought too much last time.

Daywalker, Ash, Brian and Aaron: <3 :)
Last edited by compassionategirl on Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson


Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests