Growing your own hemp seeds?!?!?

I mainly wanted it for protein.

The look on the arresting officer's face at the police station after s/he hears that should be entertaining. I'm assuming that you don't live in Holland, Canada (hemp, not cannibus sativa )or any other country where that is legal.

It has been a while since I looked at amino acid profiles and the amount of protein you get per calorie, per gram of fat ( Troy? DV? ) but I have a vague memory telling me that hemp is not a stellar protein source given those considerations.

You might be better off investing $1 to buy a bag of lentils from your supermarket and growing your own basil. It is a powerful anti-cancer herb, easy to grow, fast to grow, adds flavor to your food and you will not have someone wearing boots spreading your legs apart for you before hand cuffs are slapped on. Assuming you don't want that to happen

Edited by beforewisdom

In Canada we can buy raw hemp seeds, hemp protein powder, etc... But it's illegal to grow some at home, or smoke marijuana. In Quebec, there's many fields that grow wheat, fruits, veggies, etc but that are invested by motorcycle gangs and crime organisations to use a certain superficy of the fields to grow their hemp, using intimidation and threats at the farmers. Every week the police find some of those hidden hemp fields by helicopter.

There's a huge debate about if we should legalize hemp or not and it's often part of the political views of the candidates before elections.

Yes.

Hemp is a mostly inert, extremely useful industrial plant like soy beans. You can use hemp to make dozens and dozens of things.

Marijuana has high levels of THC, the active ingredient in pot.

Both varieties look the same. Hence *one* of the reasons they are both illegal and why American pot activists want to get at least hemp ( not marijuana ) legalized first. Having hemp legal would make enforcement of anti-marijuana laws impractical.

Edited by beforewisdom

Thanks for the infos.

All this illegal thing is so ridiculous. Hemp for food, clothes, etc. is so versatile. Tobacco should be illegal. It's an ultimate proof that goverments are more concerned by economy than the health of their population.

I agree with you, man.

If you live in the US then you definitely can't grow it (even many countries that do allow Hemp to be grown regulate it). In the US though we can buy and consume the raw hemp seeds (and other products) but I agree they probably won't germinate.

In the United States it is legal to only sell the cooked hemp seeds. In other words the hemp seeds you can buy can't germinate.

(Manitoba Harvest and Living Harvest both sell raw hemp seeds that are cold-processed to no-more than 40degree C (104 F) ).

That did make me interested as to why it wouldn't germinate (my assumption because it they are hulled) and I thought about doing an online search but then thought that maybe it would be interpreted as a search to learn how to grow Hemp so I decided against it.

I don't believe legalizing the growing of hemp would make the enforcement of anti-marijuana laws much harder. Hemp (male) plants are taller than marijuana (female) plants by quite a long shot. Also, if marijuana is grown by hemp, you will end up with pot that has really low levels of THC because of I guess what you would call cross-pollination. The DEA is just being stubborn.

If you live in the US then you definitely can't grow it (even many countries that do allow Hemp to be grown regulate it). In the US though we can buy and consume the raw hemp seeds (and other products) but I agree they probably won't germinate.

In the United States it is legal to only sell the cooked hemp seeds. In other words the hemp seeds you can buy can't germinate.

(Manitoba Harvest and Living Harvest both sell raw hemp seeds that are cold-processed to no-more than 40degree C (104 F) ).

That did make me interested as to why it wouldn't germinate (my assumption because it they are hulled) and I thought about doing an online search but then thought that maybe it would be interpreted as a search to learn how to grow Hemp so I decided against it.

So much for being free.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 4 years later...