Vegan Junk Food

Very very hard at first! Do believe me when I tell you that you will EVENTUALLY stop craving them completely. I slipped up recently because of tremendous stress but up until that point, I had little to no desire to indulge in junk after cutting the bulk of it from my diet in May of 2005. My suggestion is to try to quit completely. To me, that's really the only way to get the craving to stop. In the meantime...try baked chips, frozen soy yogurt...

Sorry, not much help...I need to take my own advice.

I totally argee with that quitting cold turkey would be best. That's what worked when I got off the real junk (meat was easy, sugar and dairy more of a challenge.)

I think it's more difficult for me around this time of year, all the real junk around - it's a mind thing more than a real body craving thing.

maybe going cold turkey innitially and then later reintroducing them into the diet is the way to go. i did the same a good while back, but now i will eat anything. the thing is that due to the fact that i didnt eat junk for a good while, i dont like more than a little bit of say cake, before i want something savory again. the only thing that is sweet that i will eat until there no tomorrow is fruit, and thats hardly a bad thing!

jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

in moderation, i don't think it's a big deal. (unless the chips are made with partially hydrogenated oils)

there's always substitution...

tortilla chips: ditto what veganmadre said, try baked or a healthy option at a health food store

Luna bars: maybe trail mix - dried fruit/nut mix

Knudsen's spritzers: water with lemon works for me

rice dream: Frozen Banana Ice Cream (it's amazing)

I'm trying to get into much better shape and continue to indulge in vegan junk: tortilla chips, Luna bars, Knudsen's spritzers, rice dream, etc.

Does anyone have any tips on eating junk food? Do you avoid these products all together, or eat them in moderation? Thanks!

There are several ways to go, IMO.

One is to indulge in your junk food cravings from time to time (I like to have a pint of Strawberry Soy Dream every few weeks).

Another, more healthful way, is to find more nutrient-dense substitutions.

Find substitutions for what specific taste or texture you are craving (sweet? try fruits, like berries, plain or blended into a healthy smoothie; mangos; persimmons, etc.; crispiness? try baked versions of some things like french fries, maybe even made with sweet potatoes, or dried foods like "Greenies live chips" from www.eatraw.com that are salty tasting and crunchy, but very nutrient dense; fat? avocado or raw nuts, which contain healthy fats).

Some more specific alternatives could be Larabars (raw food dried fruit and nut bars) or Vega bars for Luna Bars. (Lara...Luna...Vega...I suddenly feel like David Letterman hosting the Oscars: Uma...Oprah...Uma...Oprah! Advanced apologies to all non-Americans ,, or non-TV-watchers, who won't get this reference).

Choose a healthier tortilla chip (blue corn, red corn, or black bean chips), or even make your own with tortillas baked in the oven (no fat added). If you avoid chips for a while, you might notice that your tolerance for the fat and salt in them is not what it used to be. I used to eat tortilla chips more regularly, but now I have an open bag of them that it's taking me quite a while to finish, because they taste too fat and salty for me--mostly too fat).

Some "junk foods" are trigger foods (we each have our own ones, but they are usually processed carbs or high fat foods) that you should avoid bringing into the house. For me, it's potato chips, which I don't eat often at all any more (for this very reason). If I do get some, they are the low fat/reduced fat variety (but not the dreaded "what's that in my underwear" Olestra chips...YAK!), but I can down a whole bag in a short time (and supposedly refined carbs can trigger one's appetite in general, not just for more of the same thing).

I try to make it a rule to not buy carbohydrate-rich food that contains less than 2 grams of natural fiber per serving. That cuts out even a lot of health food store crackers and chips and cookies (though I must sometimes indulge in those mint chocolate chip ones my local store carries!)

It's much harder to avoid junk food as a vegan nowdays that it was years ago. There is SO MUCH available to us now vs. in the 70's and 80's.

Just because it's vegan, doesn't make it healthy, as you know.

For me, I had to just give them up completely. And since I have a tendency to binge I had to learn my trigger times and situations. If I know I am in the mood for junk I wont even go to the store. Of course lately I have been replacing it with hanging out at bars until all hours drinking water like a nerd. Nothing is greater than getting hit on "what are you drinking?" "Water" "Er...can i get you another?"

Hi. Just a couple of tips:

Prunes, raisins, figs.

They rule.

Nuts: cashews are my favourite. Mmm cashews. "Lecker, lecker"!!! (That's German for "give me some cashews"!!)

Oh yes it's PARTICULALY hard at Xmas time. But that's all over now and the new year is here!

Bring on 2006! It's gonna be AWESOME!!

Does anyone have any tips on eating junk food? Do you avoid these products all together, or eat them in moderation? Thanks!

There are several ways to go, IMO.

Choose a healthier tortilla chip (blue corn, red corn, or black bean chips), or even make your own with tortillas baked in the oven (no fat added). If you avoid chips for a while, you might notice that your tolerance for the fat and salt in them is not what it used to be. I used to eat tortilla chips more regularly, but now I have an open bag of them that it's taking me quite a while to finish, because they taste too fat and salty for me--mostly too fat).

Some "junk foods" are trigger foods (we each have our own ones, but they are usually processed carbs or high fat foods) that you should avoid bringing into the house. For me, it's potato chips, which I don't eat often at all any more (for this very reason). If I do get some, they are the low fat/reduced fat variety (but not the dreaded "what's that in my underwear" Olestra chips...YAK!), but I can down a whole bag in a short time (and supposedly refined carbs can trigger one's appetite in general, not just for more of the same thing).

LOL about olestra - gross! I've noticed lately that more mainstream food companies have been snreaking into the health food section of my local supermarket. Doritos with Olestra for example -- oh yeah really healthy! Now Toffuti makes products with Nutrasweet. Just awful.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I'm starting to realize that sometimes I just need something crunchy -- not nessacarily fatty or salthy. I think if I make the substitutes suggested, it'll help out a lot.

I'm starting with those great smoothie/"ice cream" ideas for my sweet tooth.

Prunes, raisins, figs.

They rule.

Nuts: cashews are my favourite. Mmm cashews. "Lecker, lecker"!!! (That's German for "give me some cashews"!!)

Oh yes it's PARTICULALY hard at Xmas time. But that's all over now and the new year is here!

Bring on 2006! It's gonna be AWESOME!!

I have just discovered the dried fruit section of my natural grocer. Now my dried fruit section at home includes: prunes, dates (oh yum!), cherries, blueberries (another yum!), raisins & strawberries. I'll have to look for figs.

Gorilla, like you, I LOVE cashews! I mix some dried fruit with a handful of cashews & almonds & it is a great pre-aerobic treat. Really fuels me nicely!

All I can say is: Stay FAR AWAY from "Vegan Baking Co." goodies!

They are addictive!

I just ordered some from Veganessentials, and I think I should have gotten only one of each! Get them away from me! (Resistance is futile!)

The "Pecan Joy" tastes a lot like I remember "Almond Joy" tasting. Ditto with the "Chocolate Peppermint Creme" vs. Peppermint Patties. The "Peanut Butter Cup" does have a not-authentic crushed-graham-cracker texture, but it pretty reminiscent of Reese's. (This is all based on long-term memory, however, LOl!).

I've tried Tings and like them, but I like to avoid high-carb foods that don't have at least 2 gm. of naturally-occuring fiber per serving. Aren't "Tings' low in fiber? (Say yes, then I won't get any more!!)

• 1 month later...

alternative baking companies cookies are the best cookies i've ever eaten vegan or not... i dont really eat them anymore though, the worst trouble i have with junk food is alcohol because its so easy to just down liquid calories... and then your buzzed and you no longer care about calories so you have another glass

alternative baking companies cookies are the best cookies i've ever eaten vegan or not... i dont really eat them anymore though, the worst trouble i have with junk food is alcohol because its so easy to just down liquid calories... and then your buzzed and you no longer care about calories so you have another glass

and after that other glass you are hungry and eat for four people

and after that other glass you are hungry and eat for four people

EXACTLY.