Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: advice
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:57 am 
Finch

Happy Holidays everyone!
So, haven't been around here too long, but I started doing weight training for fitness about a month ago. Working with a trainer and he said that I was not eating enough to avoid atrophy and reccomended that I begin eating more. In the past month I have put on 10-15 lbs (I began at 110 and am now at about 120-124), and at this point am maybe a little bit concerned? I am discussing this with him as well but would appretiate opinions from a variety of sources. Typiclly I eat 3-4 times, lots of fruit, veg and a protein drink. Typiclly I don't eat a lot of refined carbs or sugars but had a little over the holidays. I've never put on weight this rapidly before, so I'm not sure if I should be worried, or if I'll continue gaining weight...or what. Oh yeah, and I'm probably at the gym 3-5 days a week with 2 days weight training and 35min cardio the other days...thanks!! (ps: judging from my belly, this weight is defintly not muscle mass..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:43 am 
Elephant

I don't think refined carbs is the way to go if you want get excess energy. If you want to up your enrgy intake try adding more beans and good fats. Eat more olives, avocados, nuts and the occasional coconutmilk.
Also, I've been losing weight for about 2,5 years now and I've been adding muscles at the same time, so you don't necessarily need to have excess energy to build muscle allthough you will probably gain muscle faster if you eat more than you expand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:24 pm 
Rabbit

Do you know (approx) how many calories you were eating prior to meeting with your trainer? By how much did he request you increase?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:59 pm 
Rabbit

if you are 120 lbs. i wouldn't worry. keep up the routine and maybe watch your carbs(except post work out - that's the time to go for carbs) and up the protein. if you are looking to put on a little muscle then you really do have to get your calories in.