Body for Life

Who has followed this at any time? Thinking of taking this route instead of weight watchers for losing the last of my baby tummy. Also, now there are two books out - obviously the original and now a second one for women. Suggestions? Recommendations? Should I just purchase the original? The womens book looks more detailed...

Rob, this is how you started, right?

It's a good program, I lost 30 pounds first round. I think Rob gained as much if I remember correctly. I know Ash has had a go at it as well.

I was one of the founding members and a moderator on the Yahoo Vegetarian Body for Life group http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/bodyforlifevegetarians2/ back in 2000. It looks like the group is getting pretty active agaiin. You should check it out.

The book specifically for women sounds good. I think the eating plan just ended up being too much food for some women. I think it was mostly a problem for very overweight women who had serious poundage to lose! Shouldn't be a problem for you shooting for only 20 pounds, but if you can get more specific go for it.

Good luck, I'll be happy to support your efforts. I may even get inspired and have a 12 week round myself.

Excellent program. However when I did it years ago I wasn't veg. You can go to thier website also for sample routines and sample meal schedules. Just switch their kind of protein for our kind of protein.

-eating 6 times per day - can include energy bars & shakes

-complete meals -they tell you how to fix them (back then each portion was the size of your fist)

-cardio and lifting program

-they do allow a cheat meal, however, most have gotten away from doing this

-suppliments

I don't take EAS suppliments so, you would have to look up ingredient list if you go that route.

Good Luck!

I had success with BFL when I wasn't vegan, but when I tried it as a veg I had problems. I think I took the program too literally--for example, lentils and beans would count as a whole meal because they're both protein and carb. Whereas for me, I like lentils on rice or something else, which is too much carb for a BFL meal.

I'd certainly give it a go again, but I found myself rather put off tofu for a while after following BFL as a vegan!