Nutritious shake

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

9nines
Manatee

Nutritious shake

#1 Postby 9nines » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:00 pm

I was only consuming probably 2400 to 2700 calories a day, sometimes less. I starting making a shake to get an extra 500 calories. I tried many different ingredients.

Here is what I like so far:

1 cup soy yogurt
1 cup rice milk
1 tablespoon of real peanut butter (could use any nut butter and more)
75% of a scoop of nutritional yeast (this is the latest ingredient that I have added – I thought it would taste bad but it just gave it a mild tang – I might try more in next shake)
Banana
Coconut shavings
Blue berries (I use frozen)
Either raw sugar or maple syrup (just added this to counter the tang of the yeast)

The above probably has 18 to 22 grams of protein, you could add a protein powder for more. With the yeast and yogurt it probably has 60-70% of daily iron and the yeast has a lot of B vitamins (even B-12, only about 6% to 8% of daily need but still has some.)

It is probably 500 to 600 calories.

willpeavy
Elephant

#2 Postby willpeavy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:42 pm

That sounds awesome. I love shakes
[url=http://willpeavy.net/:34olz5pn]willpeavy.net[/url:34olz5pn]

robert
Site Admin

#3 Postby robert » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:44 pm

Cool, thanks for sharing. I'm starting with shakes again. I took a looooong break from shakes, just to focus on food. But now that I'm getting ready for the spring and summer contest season, I'll be adding shakes for that extra protein and calories and awesome taste with the fruits I dump into the blender to go with them :)

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”