Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:45 am 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:47 am
Posts: 32
so bodybuilding.com wont ship nitrofusion to australia, does anyone know why?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:14 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:39 pm
Posts: 2277
Location: BC Canada
It's those damn kangaroos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:36 am 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 2:33 pm
Posts: 360
I think pea protein tastes like ass!
I presently use both brown rice and hemp which I love.
I mix brown rice with chufa (a spanish milk made out of tiger nuts) and the hemp with passion fruit juice..mmmm!
I get them sent out to me in Spain and it still works out fairly cheaply..the brown rice is especially economical. I order them from http://www.myprotein.co.uk/
I like to take the rice at night because it fills you up more than the hemp...I think I digest the hemp really quickly and I use this after my workout. I'm really happy with the prices and delivery service offered my this company. I've bought from bulk powders uk before, but they take ages to deliver and apart from the pea protein which is vomit worthy, dont have much in stock for vegans.

_________________
I'm not a vegan because I love animals..I'm a vegan because I hate plants!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:52 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:53 am
Posts: 1481
Location: Scotland
Ruz wrote:
I think pea protein tastes like ass!


Unfortunately I'm only 50% of my way through a 2.5kg bag (from myprotein.co.uk) and I only have a scoop a day. I feel like I'm punishing myself when I have a smoothie with this in it :vom: I'm either gonna start on sunwarrior or vega (if money permits - prob won't), or mix brown rice with my hemp instead. Can't wait to finish this crap!

Yeah the prices on myprotein are great! And they label what's vegan which is cool :D

_________________
My training log brushteeth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:03 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:22 am
Posts: 1074
Location: Germany
i always mix my pea protein with soy protein, what works pretty well.

_________________
my training.

The Squat:

“It's a great excuse to wear a big ass belt that makes you look less fat.”

- Dave Tate


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:32 am 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 2:33 pm
Posts: 360
chewybaws wrote:
Ruz wrote:
I think pea protein tastes like ass!


Unfortunately I'm only 50% of my way through a 2.5kg bag (from myprotein.co.uk) and I only have a scoop a day. I feel like I'm punishing myself when I have a smoothie with this in it :vom: D

My friend actually vomited down his nose after taking pea protein!
Like I said, if you are gonna drink it, the best way I found to disguise the taste was with passion fruit juice, or failing that, pineapple. I bought 5 kilos and in the end made it into crackers which I ate with hummus ;)

_________________
I'm not a vegan because I love animals..I'm a vegan because I hate plants!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:29 am 
Offline
Finch
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:51 pm
Posts: 8
Location: Philadelphia, PA
I just tried Raw Power! in vanilla and I love it!

http://www.rawpower.com

It has brazil nut and hemp proteins, and maca, mesquite, vanilla bean, and goji berry powders.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:07 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 2:59 pm
Posts: 151
Location: NYC
Ruz wrote:
I think pea protein tastes like ass!
I presently use both brown rice and hemp which I love.
I mix brown rice with chufa (a spanish milk made out of tiger nuts) and the hemp with passion fruit juice..mmmm!
I get them sent out to me in Spain and it still works out fairly cheaply..the brown rice is especially economical. I order them from http://www.myprotein.co.uk/
I like to take the rice at night because it fills you up more than the hemp...I think I digest the hemp really quickly and I use this after my workout. I'm really happy with the prices and delivery service offered my this company. I've bought from bulk powders uk before, but they take ages to deliver and apart from the pea protein which is vomit worthy, dont have much in stock for vegans.


can one buy chufa or the tiger nuts here in the states?

never heard of them but sounds interesting!

regarding the 1st soy-free protein powder pictured i find it has a weird aftertaste thats kinda foul imo, brown rice protein i find ok but a bit gritty?

buckwheat protein powder was/is amazing but i believe kemistry the one company that was making it discontinued it?

recently i heard of a cranberry seed protein powder, that robert mentioned earlier, but it only appears to be available in bulk to companies not individuals (so far).

plus you have spirulina from places such as veganproteins.com...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:37 am 
Offline
Manatee
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 2:33 pm
Posts: 360
paulcats02 wrote:

can one buy chufa or the tiger nuts here in the states?
never heard of them but sounds interesting!


I don't know if you can buy chufa in the states, you could try in one of the stores stocking food for latinos. It's an unusual taste and you either love it or hate it. I only buy it because its very cheap at about 1 euro a litre. If you find it check the ingredients because sometimes they add cow milk, but not often. Its just usually tigernuts, sugar and water.

_________________
I'm not a vegan because I love animals..I'm a vegan because I hate plants!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:28 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 2:59 pm
Posts: 151
Location: NYC
Ruz wrote:
paulcats02 wrote:

can one buy chufa or the tiger nuts here in the states?
never heard of them but sounds interesting!


I don't know if you can buy chufa in the states, you could try in one of the stores stocking food for latinos. It's an unusual taste and you either love it or hate it. I only buy it because its very cheap at about 1 euro a litre. If you find it check the ingredients because sometimes they add cow milk, but not often. Its just usually tigernuts, sugar and water.


good deal i will look around, i am in NYC so that should be easy.

thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:10 pm 
Offline
Finch
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:52 pm
Posts: 4
I've recently tried the brown rice and hemp powders. Specifically "Jarrow Formulas" brown rice protein and "Manitoba Harvest" hemp protein (both chocolate flavored). I really like them both actually. There is some sediment that separates in the hemp protein though. I'm not sure if I should go out of my way to get it out or not... anyway, these all mix wonderfully with soy milk :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:42 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:48 pm
Posts: 2960
Location: Stockholm, Sweden.
I tried jarrows brown rice like two months ago and now I'm hooked on it. It doesn't shake well but if I use a blender it comes out real nice.

_________________
cubby2112 wrote:
When someone says you don't train "functionally," you should just punch them in the face. Ask them how "functional" of a movement that was.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:38 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA
You get it cheap there? It's $12/lb here in Denver...

_________________
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:38 am 
Offline
Finch
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:52 pm
Posts: 4
I don't think it was that expensive. I don't remember honestly, I just picked it up to try. I'm going to look for it online though; I'm sure that would be cheaper than retail from Whole Foods.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:54 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA
ericscottf wrote:
Total carbs: 9
Fiber: 2
Sugars: 9 (from fructose)

Is the label messed up, or do i not know how this is supposed to work?? :?

If the fiber is insoluble (meaning indigestible) then perhaps they are using 'net carbs' for their number, i.e. only the carbs that add calories to the product...

_________________
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group