Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:53 pm 
Rabbit

You know a few years ago I stumbled upon the amazing benefits of Yerba Mate, which is a tea I have been drinking ever since then! It is soooo amazing! It orginates from Paraguay and Uraguay, and the call it "The drink of the Gods". I buy ten pound bags of it from the source. Here, I'll post some links about it...I highly reccomend it! Seriously, I love this stuff! Makes me feel great after every cup!

http://ma-tea.com/WhatIsIt_Nutrient.asp

http://www.noborders.net/mate/

You can order it here!
http://guayaki.com/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:38 am 
Elephant

I love yerba maté!
Wisdom Herbs makes a good instant version (for times when you don't have the time to brew it) that contains yerba maté and stevia. Nice to add to bottled water for a quick 'brewed' tea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:14 pm 
Rabbit

Does decaffeinated green tea have the same health benefits as "regular" green tea? I love green tea, but I'm off the caffeine and I'm not going back on, I have trouble with moderation and end up drinking a 12-pack of Tab a day. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:49 am 
Elephant

Driver wrote:
Does decaffeinated green tea have the same health benefits as "regular" green tea? I love green tea, but I'm off the caffeine and I'm not going back on, I have trouble with moderation and end up drinking a 12-pack of Tab a day. :(

I think it does (unless there's something fishy about the decaf process I'm not aware of...some chemical residue?). The EGCG (epigallo-something-or-other) content of green tea wouldn't be affected by decaffeination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:24 am 
Rabbit

Green tea bad for body-building? I just came across this whille going through Bryan Haycock's HST-FAQ (http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/iB ... q_book.pdf)

Quote:
Green tea has compounds that block COMT. I stopped using as much green tea when I found that they were anti-androgenic. They not only block androgen at the receptor, they also appear to down regulate androgen receptors.
Green tea is basically an anti-endocrine factor. It seems to reduce the effects of all steroid hormones. I don't mean to freak anybody out, it's just that the flavones (especially epigallocatechin gallate) are well known to reduce the actions of endogenous androgens (and estrogens) as well as even lowering testosterone levels themselves.
Anyway, my point is that, you may never see any significant effect of drinking green tea on muscle gains. Then again, we know that it is having an antagonistic effect, however small, in a direction opposite to what we want with respect to testosterone.
Cultures that consume a lot of green tea of also known to have fewer androgenic "manifestations" both normal (body hair, muscle mass, etc) as well as fewer pathologic manifestations (prostate problems, and other cancers associated with steroid hormones).
Fat is a different story. It clearly helps fat loss by altering catecholamine metabolism and probably a few other things.

Doesn't say much about the amount though. My guess is you'd have to drink gallons of the stuff to get the adverse effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:10 am 
Elephant

Yay Mate! :D

Post subject: alway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:57 am 
I drink about 8 cups of tea(or herba mate) every day...normally 2 of those are green

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:09 am 
Stegosaurus

I used to drink a lot, but I haven't been lately. I do it more during cleanses than anything anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:39 pm 
Rabbit

I do love green tea.. I drink it a few times a week. I get scared sometimes and have periods of time where I dont drink it at all because I'm afraid of kidney stones. I like Oolong tea as well..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:08 pm 
Rabbit

12 oz before workout and 16 oz during the day

Anyone tried TeaTech's instant green tea mix? Good stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:34 pm 
Haven't tried that but I'm gonna be buying me some vita soy green tea milk soon to try it out...I don't think I've ever had something with green tea in it that I didn't like

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:22 pm 
Rabbit

Green tea soy milk?!? Thanks for the heads up!