Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: smokers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:37 pm 
Manatee

Wow, I'm not alone in the smoking. I'm down to 5-6 a day, and would like to end it, but the more I think of ending it, the more I want it. So far no increase in food consumption. I think that telling yourself that you'll eat more, makes you eat more. The power of suggestion and self programming is very powerful.

More mice studies, those dicks (the people studying them):

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/86425.php

A study by a team from the universities of New South Wales and Melbourne has found a few cigarettes a day may result in the body storing too much fat, not less.

The research, published in the American Journal of Physiology, exposed mice to cigarette smoke and were fed either a low fat diet or a feast.

The results show smoking mice might have eaten less but they did not lose weight.

Professor of pharmacology at the University of New South Wales Margaret Morris says if it is true, humans who smoke are probably losing muscle and other precious organs, not fat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:50 pm 
Manatee

Vegans shouldn't smoke because american spirits are the only vegan cigarettes and they are awful. Vegans also shouldn't smoke because being able to smell means knowing if something contains an animal product.
Not to mention this is a bodybuilding site, and people who clog their capillaries are less likely to see any muscle gains.

I was attuned to reiki in 2000 and felt almost forced into quitting smoking. I don't know if it's that easy for anyone, but to me quitting and not doing it anymore is like not being tobacco's bitch "all of a sudden".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:51 pm 
Manatee

I only smoke American Spirits, and I gotta tell you: they taste great! They are the only smokes that don't give me a headache and tight chest. But I smoke very little these days. People know they "shouldn't" smoke and "should eat better" and all the "shoulding", but food policing and other kind of policing has never worked. Doesn't work for religion, politics, or AR. I'm an animal rights person and my joke is, "Don't kill the animals, please wait a moment while I grab a cancer stick".

Still, I'm chewing straws now and I'm getting a hypnosis tape soon!

It sucks though, smoking does screw up the amount of stamina to handle weight lifting and cardio. Plus, with that research on how it inhibits fat loss, that made me even more determined. Plus it causes wrinkles and messes up the skin. I lucked out being half Asian with a good bit of melanin, so I don't have many wrinkles, but still...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:10 am 
Stegosaurus

dropSoul wrote:
Still, I'm chewing straws now and I'm getting a hypnosis tape soon!

If it is worth quitting smoking, you may want to see a professional hypnotist. They can be much more effective and quicker than a cd. They can get to know you, your responses and adjust the session to you for a stronger effect.

A hypnosis session may cost about $200 and often for smoking that will be the total price if a second or third session is needed. You can get your session taped and use it on your own afterward. Cheap compared to the cost anti-smoking drugs or cigarettes.

Hypnotists are like beauticians, the quality varies a lot. Unfortunately there is no standards body. Your best bet is to get one with a psychological background or medical background if you can.

Quote:
Plus it causes wrinkles and messes up the skin. I lucked out being half Asian with a good bit of melanin, so I don't have many wrinkles, but still...

The women I used to see smoking and sun tanning in college now look old while women the same age who avoided those things still look great. Either habit, but especially smoking will eventually destroy a woman's complexion.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:34 am 
Manatee

Trying the cheap route first, the CD or mp3 file on the other stuff I want to manifest or whatever, has been pretty good, so I'll try the stop smoking one. Right now, though, since I'm down to 5-6 a day, it's going so well with my own mental gymnastics. Next week it's 4-5 a day, and so forth. Or that's the plan anyway. Yeah, I stayed out of the sun all my life - interesting for a Florida resident - I really don't like baking and turning into leather.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:45 pm 
Gorilla

dropSoul wrote:
It sucks though, smoking does screw up the amount of stamina to handle weight lifting and cardio. Plus, with that research on how it inhibits fat loss, that made me even more determined. Plus it causes wrinkles and messes up the skin. I lucked out being half Asian with a good bit of melanin, so I don't have many wrinkles, but still...

OK ok, so it messes with your energy and screws up fat loss and prematurely ages you and possibly kills you, but have we all forgotten that smoking makes you look cool? And it gets you additional breaks at work. Sounds like a toss-up to me. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:51 am 
Elephant

All you need is will power.

Just stop smoking tomorrow & never put another cigarette in your mouth no matter how much you want it.

Be a champion.Beat it without any help.Prove to yourself that you are greater than any addiction.

You will feel like a star when you succeed

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:05 am 
Elephant

DaN wrote:
All you need is will power.

Just stop smoking tomorrow & never put another cigarette in your mouth no matter how much you want it.

Be a champion.Beat it without any help.Prove to yourself that you are greater than any addiction.

You will feel like a star when you succeed

:mrgreen:
That's how I done it and that's how it should be done. No nicotine patches, no "velvet beans", what ever that is - I laughed when I saw those words.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:46 pm 
Rabbit

blabbate wrote:
OK ok, so it messes with your energy and screws up fat loss and prematurely ages you and possibly kills you, but have we all forgotten that smoking makes you look cool? And it gets you additional breaks at work. Sounds like a toss-up to me. :)

indeed, it makes you look very cool. imo thats why people start in the first place. i guess thats probably why i started. then the addiction takes hold, and you find yourself justifying it in other ways.

a fun game to play is to ask people why they smoke. :mrgreen:

my advice to anyone who trys to quit and fails is to take a close look at the circumstances. if you really think about what smoking is, you wont want to smoke anymore. worked for me, but not overnight. it took me awhile to be honest with myself about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:34 pm 
Elephant

I'm happy to hear many of you are cutting down on cigarettes and others have quit entirely. Keep up the good work! I know someone who had good outcomes after accupuncture but stress got the best of them in the long run. So relax, enjoy yourself, eat well and train hard.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:46 pm 
Gorilla

This thread itself gives me cravings for smoking one. :P But who would develope not-tested, good-tasting, enviromental-friendly cigarette for me? And no, I'm not really really craving one, but cigarettes smokejust looks so cool and I have a thing with winter + cigarette-situations. It's not only a way to relax, it clears my mind completely.

Who am I kidding? :lol:

Smoking is bad for you, Hanna! *slaps herself* You don't need any. :x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:13 pm 
Elephant

Sweetie don't touch this shit ! :o It's not even cool anymore, at least here in Quebec since a few years smokers are seen as human pollutants who stink.

Most people were tempted to try it because it was cool, or because it was advised to avoid it, as for studies clearly showed it's bad for health and will destroy your lungs and make you completely addicted and dependant, so doctors were saying : don't touch this ! Ironically many people start because it's "forbidden", people like what's illegal or bad for health: cigarettes and other drugs, alcohol, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:34 pm 
Rabbit

I'm glad to see so many people quitting. It's a nasty habit! I've recently quit(for good this time!) a few months ago. The benefits are amazing. I do have a couple concerns though if anyone could address them. When I exhale really deep I wheeze ..only if I really try to but I know its "there". Will that go away and is there any certain foods/exericse/cardio I should do? I find when I run alot it starts to act up a bit with a sort of "burning". Also my nasal's are pretty clogged up and can get very dry sometimes..I've always had bad nasals but is there something else I can do(not surgery) that would help me out?

P.S. I smoked off and on(mainly on) for about 5+- years and im 24 now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:37 pm 
Manatee

I would have it checked out by a homeopathic doc first. Although Accupuncture helped me with my female issues, after spending tons at the regular doc.

I know that folate (folic acid) heals lung tissue and it helps with sinus problems too. It totally repaired my mother's lungs from adult onset asthma. You might have asthma. Really have it checked out. No one here has an MD or is qualified to really say.

More and more green food, like Vitamineral Green or lots (9 servings a day) of dark leafy greens. Fortified orange juice, broccoli, kale.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:31 am 
Rabbit

Ok, thanks a bunch. By homeopathic you mean...a regular doctor? Sorry I've heard the term before but am drawing a blank right now :D

Folic acid is in some of the foods you mentioned? I ask because I'm weary to use most supplements because they have a bad rep.

I want to be sure about the doc. because I've been to some before and they didn't seem to know what they were talking about when it came to certain issues(not smoking/asthma though). They were just being pretty vague and not very helpful. Thanks again!