Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vegan Gourmet "cheese"
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:48 pm 
Elephant

Katrina and I found it at our local Whole Foods yesterday! So we bought some. I just finished eating a grilled "cheese" with fakin bacon added to it. Yum!

The VG is pretty good. It really does melt quite well and it's pretty tasty. The cheddar (the flavor we got) actually smells like chedder. The texture is weird raw, but I think it would be great for recipes. I'm looking forward to trying that out. I think I'll try it in mac & "cheese" and and enchilada casserole. Mmmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:59 pm 
Elephant

Is it the "Follow Your Heart" brand? That's supposed to be really good, and fairly authentic-seeming when cooked. Unfortunately, I can't get it locally (or close), and ordering it via the internet is very pricey for shipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:05 pm 
Elephant

Yes, it's the Follow Your Heart. The funny thing is, on Saturday we had placed an internet order, complete with ridiculously expensive shipping. We figured we'd do it just that once to see what it was like. I had checked the "where to buy" thingy and the nearest place listed was in a neighboring state. Then on Sunday we went grocery shopping, and there it was! We bought it and sent an e-mail canceling the internet order. I really hope they actually cancel it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:39 pm 
Gorilla

I love Follow Your Heart cheese.

Liz, you have to heat it pretty hot to get it to melt better. Under a broiler is the best way, imo. Also, it freezes very well & I found you can shred the frozen block just fine, so I now keep mine in the freezer, cuz once you open the package, it goes bad fast -- faster than real cheese.

I have loved making Vegan Madre's pizza recipes with it. One of my fave meals is 1/2 a baked potatoe with some chili beans on top & a sprinkling of vegan cheese. Very filling, very cheap!

Kathryn, have you asked your grocer to special order it? If you provide them with the UPC code I've found my grocer very open to special ordering. In this case, however, I'm fortunate that my local HFS carries it. :) If you'd like to try, I will get the codes for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:38 pm 
Elephant

CrispyQ wrote:
Kathryn, have you asked your grocer to special order it? If you provide them with the UPC code I've found my grocer very open to special ordering. In this case, however, I'm fortunate that my local HFS carries it. :) If you'd like to try, I will get the codes for you.

I can always try!
My health food store won't stock it, because their supplier only sells it in quantities of 12, and they don't want to take the chance that it won't sell (they have to get one kind and can't mix and match.)

Who is that handsome critter in your avatar? I love black cats and tuxedo cats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:56 pm 
Manatee

Sorry to pry but you should think about your nutrition goals and how much of that product that you want to eat. It is vegan and probably tastes great but it is almost purely processed oils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:58 pm 
Gorilla

Hmmm, The fat content is high, but I don't see that the other ingredients are all that bad. I think most people on this site know that these types of products should be eaten in moderation. You gotta have a treat now & then, ya know. :wink:

That said, I do make a really good vegan cheeze sauce with cashews, roasted peppers & some other stuff. Not quite as close to cheese flavor as Follow Your Heart, but still, very good.

8)