Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Beans Vs Tofu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:22 am 
Rabbit

I know both are healthy protien sources but if you had to chose one for dinner which one would be better health wise? Or do you believe both should be consumed for a healthy diet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:25 am 
Rabbit

I eat both. Variety is the key...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:32 am 
Rabbit

Nice. What kind of beans are the best? Does it really matter? I was thinking of getting whole black bean cans. Just heat them up and eat them right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:45 am 
Manatee

Tofu is processed. You are going to get much better nutrition (vitamins etc.) from whole foods, like beans. Many beans are rich in iron, while tofu is normally low but varies (tofu typically 4% to 6%, some forms have 20%, in a serving versus beans which typically have 30%.)

I am not advocating to not eat tofu, but if a choice, go whole beans. Also, we likely get a lot of soy protein already, which makes the whole beans a more varied choice too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:50 am 
Manatee

aurovon wrote:
Nice. What kind of beans are the best? Does it really matter? I was thinking of getting whole black bean cans. Just heat them up and eat them right?

Black beans are good. Canned beans are easier to cook (just heat) but usually have lots of salt (check label - you can get unsalted but harder to find.)

Dried beans take longer to cook - some over an hour, or left soaking in water overnight. I found that Anasazi beans cook fastest (40 minutes.) I recently got a bag of 50 pounds of organic Anasazi beans for $70 shipped. Eating 1/2 a cup 3 or 4 times a week, it should last me a year. They have a good nutty flavor and texture, good iron and protein source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:09 pm 
Elephant

Black soybeans are good, and can be used as substitutes for black beans in recipes.
Edamame is whole, green soybeans.
Red beans and kidney beans are high in antioxidants.

I think a variety of protein sources is best, and whole foods better than processed, unless the process makes nutrients more available. For example, Tempeh is made from whole soy beans that are cultured. The culture ("mold") helps break down the proteins so they are more assimilable, and adds B12 to the product. Some people who have digestive problems from most soy can more easily tolerate tempeh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:11 pm 
Elephant

9nines wrote:
[Canned beans are easier to cook (just heat) but usually have lots of salt (check label - you can get unsalted but harder to find.)

I always drain and rinse canned beans to get rid of extra sodium. Just don't have time to cook beans! Though lentils and split peas are fast-cooking options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:20 pm 
Elephant

I eat both.

I disagree that canned beans are better than tofu. Canned beans are also "processed".
I eat fresh beans (cooked though) or soaked, then cooked beans. I don't trust canned beans :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:27 pm 
Gorilla

Beans, definitely!

I hate canned beans! I have a pressure cooker -- ok, TWO pressure cookers :wink: -- & I cook my beans in it. If I soak garbanzos for 4 hours, I can have fully cooked garbanzos in about 25 minutes. :lol:

Freshly cooked beans are so much better than canned, especially if you dislike salty foods as much as I do.

That said, there are some tofu dishes that I have come to love. Tofu scramble comes to mind.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:42 pm 
Manatee

Raw garbanzo beans are good too. My Whole Foods store used to have them refrigerated but I have not seem them lately. They taste like a nut. I would eat a 1/2 a cup or so. They would be good on a salad also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:21 am 
Elephant

I second the motion for split peas, they do cook really quick. I dont like them over cooked since they smell pretty bad, but I mix em with some hummus, rice, salsa, lentils. Then eat. Tasted good to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:36 am 
Rabbit

Thanks for the helpful information. I think I will add black (soy)beans into my diet (not the can).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:59 pm 
Gorilla

9nines wrote:
Raw garbanzo beans are good too. My Whole Foods store used to have them refrigerated but I have not seem them lately. They taste like a nut. I would eat a 1/2 a cup or so. They would be good on a salad also.

Ohhh, I'm going to look for those. When I was a kid, we grew pinto beans on the farm one year & I would eat them raw. My mother thought I was nuts, but I thought they were pretty good.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:34 pm 
Elephant

Tofu comes from beans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:40 pm 
Elephant

willpeavy wrote:
Tofu comes from beans

:shock: