Vegan Weightlifting: What Does the Science Say?

9nines

Sorry if this is a repeat (I am fairly new and did not see it anywhere.) See research - link - below

Synopsis:

Daily Calories: 18 (novice weight lifters) to 22.7 (highly trained weight lifters) calories per pound of body weight.

Daily Protein: .36 (novice weightlifters and overall adults) to .48 or slightly more (advanced body builders) grams per pound of body weight.

The protein calculations were based on nitrogen balance, where even advanced body builders (4 out of 6) stayed in positive nitrogen balance at 1.05 protein grams per kilograms of body weight (.48 grams to pound.)

http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2003issue4/vj2003issue4weight.htm

Two studies are particularly relevant. Lemon et al. studied 12 men starting an intensive weight training program of 1.5 hours, six days a week.1 They compared one month of supplementing with carbohydrates (on a diet of 1.4 g/kg of protein per day) to one month of supplementing with protein (for a total of 2.6 g/kg of protein per day) for the same people. They determined that a protein intake of 1.6 to 1.7 g/kg was needed to achieve nitrogen balance. However, muscle size and strength increased the same amount on both regimens. The authors thought that extra amino acids for the muscle-building during the carbohydrate treatment were coming from amino acid pools found in the digestive tract, kidneys, or liver. These sources are small and will eventually be depleted.

It sounds like instead of trying to combine foods to get all the amino's in a single meal. It's fine if you manage to get that variety at some point during the course of a month. This seems right as I've never worried about combining foods and never have had any problem.

I agree with the protein recommendations pretty much. They may be slightly high. But I guess that is a safety factor.