Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Portion control
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:16 pm 
Elephant

One of the biggest blunders in anyone's diet can be portion control -- at least it is for me. I am fine for breakfast, lunch and snacks, but usually mess up around dinner as I eat it after being on the bike or after self defense class. I try to eat healthy foods, but am usually very hungry by then and need to work on the portions.

I bought a book called portion savvy and am trying to use its recommendations for my dinner portions and thought I would share the portions here.

Dinner:
6 oz. soy or TVP protein
2 T. sauce
1/2 cup cooked rice or grain
1 cup of steamed or grilled veggies

If you want a change, grains complement legumes (ie, pasta and lima beans or cooked beans with brown rice) and legumes complement seeds for good amino acid ratios.

If anyone is interested, I can post what is considered 1 serving of pasta, milk, grains, fruits, veggies, etc.

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:33 pm 
Elephant

Sounds like it's perfect for you! :)

I was always told a portion was the size of your fist. Therefore, someone my size wouldn't be eating the same size portions as some Jonathan's size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:43 pm 
Elephant

LOL, I don't think many people could get away with eating jonathan fist sized portions. :lol: :shock:

I knew about the fist for the protein, but not the sides (and I like the sides, and it's easy to overeat the sides at night .... :?) Fruit has also been a question mark for me. (I mean who knew that 1/2 a banana is 1 portion of a fruit - what do you do with the other half ? I try wrapping it up again, but it still gets brown :evil: )

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:52 pm 
Elephant

I have always eaten the whole fruit unless it was huge (like a grapefruit). But I generally eat fruit alone as a snack (pre-workout). I buy apples & bananas in smaller sizes, so that helps too. I don't think I could eat a whole huge apple or banana in one sitting.

Bananas can be frozen in skin and once thawed (or partially thawed) can be used in smoothies if you eat smoothies.

I have never been much on liquid food myself, I prefer it in the whole form. Which is why I have trouble with protein shakes....but that's another thread. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:30 pm 
Elephant

Hmmm, I like smoothies sometimes, (especially mango mama smoothies :D ), but it is better to eat the whole fruit when possible. I have gotten red delicious apples in the past, but trying to bypass that wax issue, so got Roman apples instead -- boy are those big apples ! :shock:

I've heard that thing about freezing bananas and was told that mashed frozen bananas have the consistency of ice cream. :o

My fruit weaknesses are grapes, pineapples and berries. How many grapes, berries or pineapple constitute 1 serving ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:02 pm 
Manatee

Something else: Dried fruit is probably a cause for alarm on eating more calories than you wanted. Dried fruit portions are very small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:45 pm 
Elephant

Yep - 1 oz. of dried fruit is considered a portion. 15 grapes or 15 cherries is considered 1 portion -- I guess they're high sugar fruits (and I love them both :? :oops: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

I'd like to try Jonathan's salty portion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:06 pm 
Elephant

I have always gone with fist sized for all fruit weather it's an apple or several grapes. I rarely eat dried fruit, but I guess you would have to "do the math" on the size it was before dehydration if you are using the fist method.

Same goes for restaurant food. Using the "Jonathan scenario" they would serve me the same size portion as him, he could most likely eat the entire portion where I would need to cut mine almost in half and save the rest.

Post subject: dried fruit...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:03 am 
Manatee

I heard that most dried fruit was dried using carbon dioxide or monoxide is it not???? I read something like that and so have stayed away from it. (I used to like the dried apricots).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:51 am 
Manatee

Is carbon dioxide harmful, as far as trace amounts or is it an evironmental concern to produce or use it for fruit drying?

I drink mineral water that is carbonated with carbon dioxide and I eat ground flaxseed that are package in an inert gas (likely carbon dioxide.) Is there cause for concern? We exhale carbon dioxide, as part of our respiration so I guess no way to escape it.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:00 am 
Manatee

Yes, you're right 9nines.....it obviously can't be carbon dioxide :oops: I'll go out and check on the packages today......

Post subject: oops
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:52 am 
Manatee

9nines, The problem is the sulphur dioxide used to preserve the fruits....I don't know how much you would have to eat but I just didn't like the idea of having sulphur dioxide all oversomething I was ingesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:41 pm 
Manatee

Is the sulphur on most dried fruit? I eat raisons and apricots sometimes. I'll stop if bad.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:34 pm 
Manatee

9s the problem is that sulphur dioxide has been found to exacerbate problems for those people with asthma. There are dried fruits/raisins out there that are sun dried but they obviously won't have the shelf life. I just stopped eating raisins and apricots because I couldn't find any that didn't contain sulphur dioxide. This is just me and I'm sure that there are more knowledgeable people on this site that could give you more info.
Hope this helps....