High cholesterol

offense74

I watched the most popular cooking show i Sweden last night. This was one of the two things presented:

She took chicken filet, filled it with a big slice of brie cheese and then wrapped it in bacon . I felt a little nausiated already. To this she served 1 carrot and small amounts of other veggies in 800g of coconut milk. She then stuffed white bread with lots of chopped olives, some paprika, a lot of goat cheese and to top it of some honey.

USA might still be the fattest, but we Europeans are right in your heels....

Oh, by the by we have blood tests at my job now. Almost everybody who did it got a one hour consultation on how to lower their cholesterol (eat more chicken breast, fish, cholesterol lowering margarine, skimmed milk and more bs like that). I got in, she smiled and basically told me that whatever your doing, keep it up! I was out in 10 minutes.

I watched the most popular cooking show i Sweden last night. This was one of the two things presented:

She took chicken filet, filled it with a big slice of brie cheese and then wrapped it in bacon . I felt a little nausiated already. To this she served 1 carrot and small amounts of other veggies in 800g of coconut milk. She then stuffed white bread with lots of chopped olives, some paprika, a lot of goat cheese and to top it of some honey.

USA might still be the fattest, but we Europeans are right in your heels....

yeahh, that's right: germans love "sauerkraut und schweinshaxe"

Oh, by the by we have blood tests at my job now. Almost everybody who did it got a one hour consultation on how to lower their cholesterol (eat more chicken breast, fish, cholesterol lowering margarine, skimmed milk and more bs like that). I got in, she smiled and basically told me that whatever your doing, keep it up! I was out in 10 minutes.

haha, that's kind of funny!

btw: do you live in sweden? O_O

Good for you! Isn't it fun.

I have never understood the advice of "you have high cholestrol so we are going to advise you to keep putting more in your body, and possible pop some pills". Ugggg! It's so aggravating!

I realize it was less then thier intake before, but it is still something (poison to me) that their bodies can't handle.

I have never understood the advice of "you have high cholestrol so we are going to advise you to keep putting more in your body, and possible pop some pills". Ugggg! It's so aggravating!

I realize it was less then thier intake before, but it is still something (poison to me) that their bodies can't handle.

So true! My dad had a heartattack and they told him to take betablockers but didn't say much about his diet!

Congrats! Feels good, doesn't it?

Of course it feels great ! I'm not surprised though, I mainly did the test to show it to others.

My triglycerides was a tad high though, I might check into that.

The most irritating thing though is Becel. I don't know if you have it on other places but it's a margarine that lowers your cholesterol. So basically al my collegues use it. The other day I watched one of them eat meat with sauce (dairy based) and bulgur. To that he ate white bread with becel and salami. Veggies? No. Fruit? No.

Go fugure

Color that smilie green, though!

One of my colleagues was getting rid of some very old (1960's) cookbooks. I was paging through them at lunch. One of the most ...let's say "interesting" ... was some sandwich (for a "man's appetite") that was a 1/2 roll with three hot dogs on, wrapped in about 8 slices of bacon! I think there was also some kind of creamy dressing in the center, which looked even more repulsive because the colors had changed over time, so it was an odd yellowish color.

There is an internet site where someone took some 1950's Weight Watchers recipe cards and commented on them. Some very repulsive stuff. I'll see if I can find it again.

Edited by Kathryn

Yeah. The former secretary in our department (who always served to me as an example of what NOT to do!) now has diabetes, and takes pills for it. I was at a dinner she attended, and she just dug right into a huge slice of lardy, sugary cake for dessert. One of the emeritus German professors (who's not known for holding back!) asked her how she could eat that, and she told him she'd taken her medication, so she could.

Duh...you probably wouldn't NEED medication if you didn't eat that crap!

What about: "I'm going to cut myself with a knife, but I took a coagulant and sterilized the area, so I can do it"!

What about: "I'm going to cut myself with a knife, but I took a coagulant and sterilized the area, so I can do it"!

Haha nice one Kathryn, that seems to be the sentiment of the majority medical establishment. Many in my family take pills for one or more problems like cholesterol, diabetes, bad skin, i dont even know what else. My family is becoming more open to less animal foods since they see I dont have all the health problems they have. They always tell me "ohh im eating more fruits and vegetables, you'd be proud..." My dad loves clif bars. He ordered a case of 144. He's not vegan, but they keep him out of McDonald's for lunch.