Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: sugar? how much is too much?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:39 pm 
Elephant

ive been drinking an entire bottle of soymilk a day because of the calories, protien, good fat, and potassium. I mix some in with my protein shake. but i was wondering how much sugar is too much? since soymilk is high in sugar, and as are the bagels I'm eating.

so how much sugar should I be getting daily? and how many grams should I not go above?

isnt it true that too much sugar messes with your protein?

thanks

Post subject: Re: sugar? how much is too much?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:38 am 
Elephant

Hero wrote:
ive been drinking an entire bottle of soymilk a day because of the calories, protien, good fat, and potassium. I mix some in with my protein shake. but i was wondering how much sugar is too much? since soymilk is high in sugar, and as are the bagels I'm eating.

Don't you have unsweetend soymilk where you live? I use soymilk with zero sugar only.

Quote:
so how much sugar should I be getting daily?

You don't need any sugar, not a single gram. It's only for taste.

Quote:
and how many grams should I not go above?

Sugar has no benefits except taste, so the less you eat the better it is. Sugar adds calories, which is not so bad if you need lots, but it has zero other nutritients, no vitamins, no minerals, no trace elements. But while it provides calories, it needs nutritients to be metabolized, so it "robs" your body of vitamins/minerals, because it uses them but comes with none.
There are some ailments linked to high sugar intake. I think it's best to avoid is as far as possible. If you eat/drink sugar, it's best after workout or after a meal, as a dessert.

Quote:
isnt it true that too much sugar messes with your protein?

I've never heard of that.

Post subject: Re: sugar? how much is too much?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:01 am 
Manatee

Daywalker wrote:
Don't you have unsweetend soymilk where you live? I use soymilk with zero sugar only.

:shock: I couldn't do that! I love sweetened soymilk, especially vanilla flavor! 8)

http://www.attilahildmann.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:57 am 
Elephant

i dont know if we have unsweetened but i'll check. i think it might cost more, and has wayyy less potassium, but im a start getting it then if it has zero sugar.
yeh i dont really care about taste so sugar is out the door for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:46 pm 
Elephant

Hero wrote:
i dont know if we have unsweetened but i'll check. i think it might cost more, and has wayyy less potassium, but im a start getting it then if it has zero sugar.

"Silk" has an unsweetened version that is about the same price as the regular (at least not much more, if at all). If you don't like the taste of unsweetened (though I think it's fine), then mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with your regular, maybe decreasing the regular from there as you adapt to it.

Some vanilla soy milks (the best tasting ones, of course!) have very high amounts of sugar in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:58 pm 
Elephant

I read an article in some scientific journal and they found that some sugar (glucose) actually helped protein uptake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:48 pm 
Elephant

CollegeB wrote:
I read an article in some scientific journal and they found that some sugar (glucose) actually helped protein uptake.

really? i overheard some personal trainer in the gym saying too much sugar is counterproductive, cause it leaches the protein or something.......beats me. then again he recommended eggs and whey protein to his client.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:18 pm 
Rabbit

What about fruit, though? Is it a good form of sugar and why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:33 pm 
Gorilla

Rain Forrest wrote:
What about fruit, though? Is it a good form of sugar and why?

Fructose (the sugar found in fruit) is a monosaccharide. Sucrose (table sugar) is a disaccharide which is made up of both glucose and fructose. The simple sugars (monosaccharides) metabolize and are used up much quicker whereas the sucrose has to be broken down before it's metabolized and has a tendency to be stored as fat.
Too much of any kind of sugar, including fructose is bad for you. High levels of fructose have been known to cause hypertension, and can cause problems especially if you have blood sugar or insulin issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:24 am 
Elephant

What about fruititarians....bigwii, seems to be doing great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:49 am 
Elephant

sinisterkungfu wrote:
Fructose (the sugar found in fruit) is a monosaccharide. Sucrose (table sugar) is a disaccharide which is made up of both glucose and fructose. The simple sugars (monosaccharides) metabolize and are used up much quicker whereas the sucrose has to be broken down before it's metabolized and has a tendency to be stored as fat.
Too much of any kind of sugar, including fructose is bad for you. High levels of fructose have been known to cause hypertension, and can cause problems especially if you have blood sugar or insulin issues.

That's not entirely right.

Fructose is a monosaccharide, but it has a ring of 5 C-atoms only (not 6 as the others), so it is metabolized differently, which takes longer.

Concentrated/refined fructose used instead of sucrose is therefore better, but not that much better that you should use it without thinking - it's still sugar.
Fructose has a higher potency to sweeten i think, so you need less, another good point.

Fructose and glucose in fruits are not as bad as refined and concentrated sugars, because a) they come in lower doses and b) they come with many other important nutritients, for example fibre and vitamins.

High sugar intake (any sugar) is bad for you, but not high fruit intake, especially wild and organic fruits (which are higher in nutritients and lower in sugar).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:28 am 
Gorilla

Daywalker wrote:
sinisterkungfu wrote:

That's not entirely right.

Fructose is a monosaccharide, but it has a ring of 5 C-atoms only (not 6 as the others), so it is metabolized differently, which takes longer.

Concentrated/refined fructose used instead of sucrose is therefore better, but not that much better that you should use it without thinking - it's still sugar.
Fructose has a higher potency to sweeten i think, so you need less, another good point.

Fructose and glucose in fruits are not as bad as refined and concentrated sugars, because a) they come in lower doses and b) they come with many other important nutritients, for example fibre and vitamins.

High sugar intake (any sugar) is bad for you, but not high fruit intake, especially wild and organic fruits (which are higher in nutritients and lower in sugar).

Chemistry is not my strong point. I was going off what I remembered from school (which unfortunately is less than I'd like). Thanks for the correction. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:01 am 
Elephant

I love sugar - I have two tea-spoons with tea and coffee, and I also add it to cereal and porridge.

I know it is very bad for you.

Can't imagine drinkin tea/coffee without it though..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:31 am 
Elephant

Since Hero, Daywalker and me are drugfree, I guess that "coffee-argument" doesn`t work work for us... :wink:
The fact that you enjoy tea/coffee with sugar isn`t so bad :wink: , at least you only harm your own body...

http://www.david-schulz.com
Life Science
Got Milk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:42 am 
Elephant

flanders77 wrote:
Since Hero, Daywalker and me are drugfree, I guess that "coffee-argument" doesn`t work work for us... :wink:
The fact that you enjoy tea/coffee with sugar isn`t so bad :wink: , at least you only harm your own body...

Not true Flanders. You haven't seen me when I haven't had my sugar fix. :twisted: :wink: