Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:53 am 
Elephant

madcat wrote:
I thought ketchup was mostly tomatoes, vinegar, salt, sugar, and some other spices… is there really anything too bad in it?

Depends on the brand, but in most standard ketchups, the main ingredient is SUGAR. It's sugar with tomatoes and spices ;)
Then there are other ingredients i don't like in my food, like artificial flavors, preservatives and stuff. Organic ketchup is better, but still has sugar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:42 am 
Elephant

Richard wrote:
black holes make your belly flat. They are rare, but if you can find one and you digest it, it will suck your guts right in

How do you stop it sucking the rest of you in though so you don't disappear in the Black Hole.

The only Black Hole I'm familiar with is the one at Alton Towers. You remember The Mouse too? My sister had to be rescued off that once. My first roller-coaster was The Cobra at the West Midlands Safari Park. I was only 8.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:45 am 
Elephant

Back on topic, oats/porridge is meant to help prevent bloating as well as being very good for you.

I have a flat belly, but do get bloating unfortunately, so you wouldn't always know it. :? Probably coz I eat my food ridiculously fast. I don't even stop to breathe. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:01 am 
Gorilla

madcat wrote:
I thought ketchup was mostly tomatoes, vinegar, salt, sugar, and some other spices… is there really anything too bad in it?

Pretty much every Ketchp I've ever seen contains high fructose corn syrup. Bleh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:43 am 
Elephant

madcat wrote:

Usually, high fructose corn syrup, unless you buy a health food store brand. HFCS is something that many nutritionists recommend avoiding (but it's in many, many processed foods in the United States. )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:21 am 
Elephant

_raVen_ wrote:
Only one green on that list!!

The list contains at least 3 items that are green raVen (Grapes, Spinach and Broccoli). 4 items if you get Green Bell Peppers (though probably not very good in Green shakes :drinkers: :wink: )

Kathryn's right about high fructose corn syrup being in most processed foods and consuming too much of it is bad for you. So basically, anyone that eats heavily processed foods is or will get screwed. :naka:

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:21 pm 
Elephant

Tarz wrote:
Richard wrote:
black holes make your belly flat. They are rare, but if you can find one and you digest it, it will suck your guts right in

How do you stop it sucking the rest of you in though so you don't disappear in the Black Hole.

The only Black Hole I'm familiar with is the one at Alton Towers. You remember The Mouse too? My sister had to be rescued off that once. My first roller-coaster was The Cobra at the West Midlands Safari Park. I was only 8.....

I loved going to alton towers. i want to go back soo bad!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:49 pm 
Gorilla

:D Crash, yes, I meant green leafies :P

I think the best foods for a flat tummy are lots of fresh, whole raw foods. Having experienced a lifelong battle with my "pouch," (even while running 10 miles a day!) I know! It's exercise and diet, but not just one or the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

Tarz wrote:

Disappearing entirely would be the ultimate in weight loss!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:15 am 
Elephant

Richard wrote:
Tarz wrote:

Disappearing entirely would be the ultimate in weight loss!

But losing everything would be taking weight loss a little too far no? Where would you go in this black hole Rich, and where would you come out, if you ever did?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:35 am 
Elephant

Tarz wrote:
Richard wrote:

You send the black hole out through a wormhole after it has sucked enough fat away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:44 am 
Elephant

willpeavy wrote:
Tarz wrote:
Richard wrote:

You send the black hole out through a wormhole after it has sucked enough fat away

Does the human come out of the experience OK though, other than losing all their belly fat? It seems a lot of trouble and very risky just to lose some weight......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:01 pm 
Elephant

OK, I know all of you have been waiting with baited breath for this :P ...I have finally found the article I read about the 10 foods previously listed. The reasons that these 10 foods were listed in First magazine's Feb. 20, 2006th edition are....(Alex please tell me if this is :bs: :oops: ).....

Quote:
1. Grapes - Snacking on them boosts insulin sensitivity, reducing blood sugar swings by 42% and reducing cravings, according to USDA research. The credit goes to dozens of phytochemicals, including phenolics, cyanidin and kaempferol. These compounds activate the brain's satiety center, so less food is needed to feel full.

2. Spinach - Each 1 cup serving contains 6x more lutein than romaine lettuce, 5x more glutathione than watermelon, plus almost 250 mg of calcium. And studies at the University of TN in Knoxville suggest that these nutrients can speed the loss of belly fat by 81%. For the biggest nutrient boost, eat spinach raw or lightly steamed (instead ofboiled).

3. Strawberries - The soluble fiber and natural sugars in these treats chase away cravings for less healthy snacks. And the pelargonidin, ellagic acid and other phytochemicals keep metabolic rate high, speeding calorie burn by 12%. Get organic or wash commercially grown berries thoroughly before eating (this removes the herbicides and pesticides that trigger fatigue and stubborn weight gain).

4. Tomatoes - They're nature's #1 source of lycopene, an antioxidant that stalls the absorption of dietary fat. And each juicy tomato contains just 33 calories.

5. Whole Grains - In a surprising Harvard study, people who ate 3 servings of whole grains daily were 30% less likely to battle excess belly fat than those who indulged in carbs made with white flour. "Fiber and nutrient rich whole grains are more filling and keep insulin production stable, plus they prevent cravings."

6. Olive Oil - Eating as little as 2 Tbs olive oil cuts daily craving and overeating by 22%. Olive oil contains healthy fats and polyphenols. This combo improves the body's ability to use glucose, keeping blood sugar steady and fat burning at its peak.

7. Blueberries - Eating blueberries can fend off snack attacks for 4 hrs, plus help women lose 5% of the body weight in 6 months, researchers at Brooke Army Medical Center in Fort Sam Houston, TX report. The credit goes to blood sugar stabilizing antioxidants. USDA studies reveal that blueberries are packed with them -- just 1/2 cup boosts blood levels by 100%.

8. Almonds - Women who munch on almonds when hunger strikes have a 22% lower risk of diabetes, plus they effortlessly lose up to 11 lbs every year, according to research at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital. The benefit comes from almonds' plant fats, fiber, magnesium and vitamin E. These nutrients work to keep muscle and brain cells insulin-sensitive so blood sugar stays on an en even keel and appetite stays under control.

9. Bell Peppers - A heaping cup of purople, orange, red and/or yellow peppers contains just 40 calories, yet USDA research shows these crunchy snacks are one of nature's top sources of carotenoids, lutein, beta-cryptoxanthin and zeaxanthin. These phytonutrients work together to keep metabolic rate high. Plus a serving of peppers can suppress cravings in just 20 minutes.

10. Broccoli - Women with the highest intake of broccoli not only have a significantly lower risk of cancer and heart disease, but they're also able to shed up to 1 lb weekly without counting calories, say researchers at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston. The credit goes to dozens of different health protecting compounds, but the most impressive of the lot is sulforaphane, a phytonutrient that revs the function of metabolically active enzymes inside body cells.

So there you have it.

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Last edited by Crash on Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

Tarz wrote:
willpeavy wrote:
Tarz wrote:
Richard wrote:

Does the human come out of the experience OK though, other than losing all their belly fat? It seems a lot of trouble and very risky just to lose some weight......

Well yeah, I mean if you want to be pedantic about it, technically the person would be 'dead'. No pain no gain though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:26 am 
Elephant

Richard wrote:
Tarz wrote:
willpeavy wrote:
Tarz wrote:
Richard wrote:

Well yeah, I mean if you want to be pedantic about it, technically the person would be 'dead'. No pain no gain though!

Extreme measures indeed........