Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hemp protein powder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:22 pm 
Rabbit

has any one used it? what are your experiences? does the brand matter? Whats your favorite thing to mix it with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

I use hemp protein and like it. I think it is one of the best choices you can make a for a number of reasons. Some are listed in other threads, I'll have to find it later.....I'm just about to head off to the gym.

I don't know too many brands, but I understand there are quite a few. I use Vega from www.myvega.com I was introduced to Vega by Brendan Brazier, who has become a friend of mine over the past 1 1/2 years.

There are other options out there and I believe www.veganessentials.com carries some.

When I have more time, I'll try to write more about the power of Hemp!

You can also learn a lot more about it from that site... www.myvega.com

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:12 pm 
Gorilla

Back when I mistakenly thought protein stuffing was necessary I tried some. I forget what brand. I didn't care for it at all. The fiber overload kind of upset my stomach.

Anyway except for pea protein, protein powders go good with rice milk, frozen fruits and a little coconut milk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

I use water, orange juice or another juice. I like to blend things up with frozen fruit and bananas too.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:55 pm 
Elephant

I put a scoop of it in my morning smoothie.
I've tried both Nutiva and Manitoba Harvest brands.

I also use the Manitoba Harvest hemp nuts sprinkled in salads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:49 pm 
Rabbit

Kathryn wrote:
I put a scoop of it in my morning smoothie.
I've tried both Nutiva and Manitoba Harvest brands.

I also use the Manitoba Harvest hemp nuts sprinkled in salads.

i got the manitoba harvest because i couldnt find the Nutiva- which has like tons more fiber if i'm correct? i'm a real sucker for fiber i wish i could find the nutiva somewhere other than online..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:08 pm 
Elephant

The natural foods store near me sells nutiva its got 43 grams of fiber I think. I like its taste alright kinda sweet and nutty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:36 am 
Rabbit

I've probably posted this before--the best value I've come across for shelled hemp seed is at:

http://galaxyglobaleatery.com/index1.html

This page sometimes takes awhile to load. Galaxy Global Eatery is a New York restaurant that specializes in hemp based cuisine. One day I'd love to dine there. Anyway, 5 lbs of shelled hemp for $25.00 before shipping.

Hemp is truly a super nutritious food, easily in the top ten. This morning I added 1/4 of shelled hemp nuts to my homemade soymilk and blended it with pumpkin seeds, rolled rye and oat flakes, freshly ground flax meal and frozen chunks of mango, pineapple and strawberry.

From the Nutiva web page:

A Nutritional Powerhouse

"Hempseed is considered by leading researchers and medical doctors to be one of the most nutritious food sources on the planet. Shelled hempseed is packed with 33 percent pure digestible protein and is rich in iron and vitamin E as well as omega-3 and GLA. A recent report funded by the Canadian government states that hemp protein is comprised of 66 percent high-quality edistin protein, and that hempseed contains the highest percentage of this of any plant source. Hemp also contains three times the vitamin E contained in flax. Unlike soy, hemp is not genetically modified, and it doesn't contain the anti-nutritional qualities commonly found in soy."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:47 pm 
Elephant

SlightlyBitchy wrote:
i got the manitoba harvest because i couldnt find the Nutiva- which has like tons more fiber if i'm correct? i'm a real sucker for fiber i wish i could find the nutiva somewhere other than online..

Nutiva has 14 gm. fiber per serving. I don't know how much the Manitoba Harvest has, because I already recycled the container.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:55 pm 
Manatee

i tried some powder, I don’t remember what brand. I didn’t like it…. It tasted like bird seed.
Don’t ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:27 am 
Manatee

I am thinking of buying some hemp protein powder. Is there any concern, in drug testing?

I am looking for a new job and many employers require drug testing. Anyone know if hemp seed digestion can cause positive result in marijuana tests?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:05 am 
Manatee

http://www.manitobaharvest.com/showpage ... ?itemID=17

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:33 am 
Rabbit

Quote:
I am looking for a new job and many employers require drug testing. Anyone know if hemp seed digestion can cause positive result in marijuana tests?

The THC levels in hemp grown today, with the modern breeding and sterilization procedures in place make it considerably less risky than it once was. Don't give it another thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:48 pm 
Elephant

I just switched to hemp, and had my first smoothie with it this morning. At first I was concerned because the smoothie looked all brownish-greenish because of it, but it tasted just fine. I guess the taste is quite mild. The rest of the smoothie was rice milk, frozen banana, frozen mango, and a little flax meal. Tasty!

The hemp I got was Living Harvest brand. It's just ground up hemp seed--I like the fact that it's not processed or "isolated" like other protein powders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm 
Elephant

FormicaLinoleum wrote:
I just switched to hemp, and had my first smoothie with it this morning. At first I was concerned because the smoothie looked all brownish-greenish because of it, but it tasted just fine. I guess the taste is quite mild.

I've eaten hemp 'nuts" (hulled hemp seeds) on salad, and the flavor reminds me a bit of sunflower seeds.

As for color, I put both hemp powder and a green food supplement powder in my morning smoothie, along with frozen strawberries and cherries. Anyone who remembers their color wheel and art classes might know that, being opposing colors, green and red make grey! My smoothie is usually a kind of purply grey. Not the prettiest sight (my previous smoothies without the hemp and green stuff and with blueberries were often a beautiful fushia color!), but no odd taste at all (I was wary of the green stuff at first!)