Hemp protein powder

I use hemp protein and like it. I think it is one of the best choices you can make a for a number of reasons. Some are listed in other threads, I'll have to find it later.....I'm just about to head off to the gym.

I don't know too many brands, but I understand there are quite a few. I use Vega from www.myvega.com I was introduced to Vega by Brendan Brazier, who has become a friend of mine over the past 1 1/2 years.

There are other options out there and I believe www.veganessentials.com carries some.

When I have more time, I'll try to write more about the power of Hemp!

You can also learn a lot more about it from that site... www.myvega.com

-Robert

Back when I mistakenly thought protein stuffing was necessary I tried some. I forget what brand. I didn't care for it at all. The fiber overload kind of upset my stomach.

Anyway except for pea protein, protein powders go good with rice milk, frozen fruits and a little coconut milk.

I put a scoop of it in my morning smoothie.

I've tried both Nutiva and Manitoba Harvest brands.

I also use the Manitoba Harvest hemp nuts sprinkled in salads.

i got the manitoba harvest because i couldnt find the Nutiva- which has like tons more fiber if i'm correct? i'm a real sucker for fiber i wish i could find the nutiva somewhere other than online..

I've probably posted this before--the best value I've come across for shelled hemp seed is at:

http://galaxyglobaleatery.com/index1.html

This page sometimes takes awhile to load. Galaxy Global Eatery is a New York restaurant that specializes in hemp based cuisine. One day I'd love to dine there. Anyway, 5 lbs of shelled hemp for $25.00 before shipping.

Hemp is truly a super nutritious food, easily in the top ten. This morning I added 1/4 of shelled hemp nuts to my homemade soymilk and blended it with pumpkin seeds, rolled rye and oat flakes, freshly ground flax meal and frozen chunks of mango, pineapple and strawberry.

From the Nutiva web page:

A Nutritional Powerhouse

"Hempseed is considered by leading researchers and medical doctors to be one of the most nutritious food sources on the planet. Shelled hempseed is packed with 33 percent pure digestible protein and is rich in iron and vitamin E as well as omega-3 and GLA. A recent report funded by the Canadian government states that hemp protein is comprised of 66 percent high-quality edistin protein, and that hempseed contains the highest percentage of this of any plant source. Hemp also contains three times the vitamin E contained in flax. Unlike soy, hemp is not genetically modified, and it doesn't contain the anti-nutritional qualities commonly found in soy."

i got the manitoba harvest because i couldnt find the Nutiva- which has like tons more fiber if i'm correct? i'm a real sucker for fiber i wish i could find the nutiva somewhere other than online..

Nutiva has 14 gm. fiber per serving. I don't know how much the Manitoba Harvest has, because I already recycled the container.

I am looking for a new job and many employers require drug testing. Anyone know if hemp seed digestion can cause positive result in marijuana tests?

The THC levels in hemp grown today, with the modern breeding and sterilization procedures in place make it considerably less risky than it once was. Don't give it another thought.

I just switched to hemp, and had my first smoothie with it this morning. At first I was concerned because the smoothie looked all brownish-greenish because of it, but it tasted just fine. I guess the taste is quite mild. The rest of the smoothie was rice milk, frozen banana, frozen mango, and a little flax meal. Tasty!

The hemp I got was Living Harvest brand. It's just ground up hemp seed--I like the fact that it's not processed or "isolated" like other protein powders.

I just switched to hemp, and had my first smoothie with it this morning. At first I was concerned because the smoothie looked all brownish-greenish because of it, but it tasted just fine. I guess the taste is quite mild.

I've eaten hemp 'nuts" (hulled hemp seeds) on salad, and the flavor reminds me a bit of sunflower seeds.

As for color, I put both hemp powder and a green food supplement powder in my morning smoothie, along with frozen strawberries and cherries. Anyone who remembers their color wheel and art classes might know that, being opposing colors, green and red make grey! My smoothie is usually a kind of purply grey. Not the prettiest sight (my previous smoothies without the hemp and green stuff and with blueberries were often a beautiful fushia color!), but no odd taste at all (I was wary of the green stuff at first!)

The hemp probably has no THC in it especially if it's sold in the states. They most likely get the seeds from industrial hemp farms, and industrial hemp has no THC, or it's so little it could not be detected by a drug screen. I too am applying for new jobs, I hadnt given hemp protein powder a thought until now, not worried one bit though. Just dont eat poppyseeds before you get the test, and there are a few other legal kind of things that can show up as drugs. May want to research this a little....

I am thinking of buying some hemp protein powder. Is there any concern, in drug testing?

I am looking for a new job and many employers require drug testing. Anyone know if hemp seed digestion can cause positive result in marijuana tests?

that would be no. hemp protein is good stuff, I think the stuff I got is called Holy Hemp or something. Anyways, I gotta mix it with o.j. to kill the taste also I mix in some SPI cuz it can cause a little upset esp. on an empty stomach.

The only kind I've found in Germany is this:

http://www.newstartcenter.biz/online-shop/p,-1922177653,-36025376,hanfsamen+250+g+von+davert.htm

I powder the seeds in my coffee grinder just the same as my Golden Linseed and mix in with my banana-soya milk smoothie. Well nice!

I don't know if grinding the whole seeds is as good as getting shelled hemp seeds. Any thoughts?...

I heard that grinding the golden linseed makes the nutrients available and that if you get linseed already powdered it's not so good. Something to do with oxidisation.

I figure this all applies to hemp seeds too. And other seeds for that matter: pumpkin, sunflower... Although I like to add pumpkin, sesame and pine nut kernels whole to salads and even pasta sauces for the crunch factor.

"

I don't know if grinding the whole seeds is as good as getting shelled hemp seeds. Any thoughts?...

I heard that grinding the golden linseed makes the nutrients available and that if you get linseed already powdered it's not so good. Something to do with oxidisation.

I figure this all applies to hemp seeds too. And other seeds for that matter: pumpkin, sunflower... Although I like to add pumpkin, sesame and pine nut kernels whole to salads and even pasta sauces for the crunch factor."

I was wondering about this too, during the processing is there some oxidation going on...if so that's not good. there are polyunsaturated oils even in the hemp protein concentrates. The whole seed is better, its just a matter of getting more aminos in you which makes the refined product more convenient, you know more protein/less cals kinda thing. You're right about the flax, it's got to be ground fresh. jus get yourself a coffee grinder and you're set.

With flax, it's best to grind it fresh (unless you can get ground flax in a nitrogen-sealed bag, and keep it in the freezer), because otherwise, you might end up with "flax meal" (which is the flax with the oil removed) or with problems with rancidity (flax oil goes rancid very quickly). Unless you really chew the seeds well, they often will pass through in the same condition they went in, so the nutrients won't be available.

Hemp is different, both because it doesn't go rancid as quicklly, and because it is easier for the body to digest (unless you eat it unhulled, I suppose, but in the US it has to be rendered incapable of reproducing to be imported, which means it has to be hulled, or ground, or irradiated.

I see. Yes as you can see from the photo from the link I posted, these hemp seeds are fully capable of being grown.

On the packet it says "not to be grown"! Although I heard that it's cannabis and not hemp that you grow for marijuana. Male. Female. Something like that. Not sufficiently interested. Can't understand why anyone would ingest/inhale/imbibe anything that makes you LESS productive. That's just madness to me.

Thanks.

I see. Yes as you can see from the photo from the link I posted, these hemp seeds are fully capable of being grown.

On the packet it says "not to be grown"! Although I heard that it's cannabis and not hemp that you grow for marijuana. Male. Female. Something like that. Not sufficiently interested. Can't understand why anyone would ingest/inhale/imbibe anything that makes you LESS productive. That's just madness to me.

Thanks.

why would anyone want to grow industrial hemp and chance getting busted for nothing...I bet they'd have a real tough time trying to explain that one to the judge. As for me, my lungs like only fresh air these days.

I dont think you would get in trouble for growing industrial hemp, but there would be some legal hassle.

ok then, you can try it and we'll see... jk! don't do it man! just say no! really tho, I'm sure you'd need a government permit to do it. you can bet your collegebutt they would hassle you if you weren't certified.