Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How long does it take for food to pass through you?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:28 am 
Manatee

Sorry for possibly 'gross' subject but since we eat somewhat similarly and exercise somewhat similarly, I wondered if you would share how long it takes food to pass through you?

I am pretty sure about 13 hours for me. I usually pass some waste within 5 minutes of waking then again about two hours later. From that two hours later one, I can usually tell it was what I ate the night before, about 13 hours earlier.

I can not find a 'normal' time frame, searching the internet. There are many estimates but none really as quick as I experience. So maybe 12 to 13 hours is good or maybe bad (worried about not properly difesting food if it goes that fast.)

Since most do not eat as much fiber as we do or exercise as much as we do, maybe 13 hours is normal for us?

Others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:14 am 
Elephant

Here is a link to a german scientific tv-show. Verweildauer (written below the animation) means duration in that part of the digestive system.

[/url]

http://www.david-schulz.com
Life Science
Got Milk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:07 am 
Manatee

i've heard that 1 or 2 bowel movements a day is common/natural/whatever you want to call it.

i usually have 1 a day, unless i've eaten a lot like last night (half a pizza and a root beer float -- hello indulgence :) )

to further the gross factor... i personally think that if it comes out clean (which it usually does), things are going well.

www.funkdc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:15 am 
Manatee

I usually have three or four.

Always within 5 minutes of waking, in the morning (small to medium amount).
Again mid morning (large amount)
Again between lunch and dinner (small to medium)
And usually after dinner (small to medium)

Maybe it is good or bad - I am worried if digesting so quickly maybe I am not absorbing nutrients well.

Last edited by 9nines on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:52 pm 
Gorilla

3 or 4 times a day might be annoying in some respects but it is really much healthier for you.

When I first became vegan I also went 3 or 4 times a day and first thing in the morning I would just about shit myself getting to the bathroom. Now two years later I'm kind of constipated and only go once a day and.. let's just say my health has suffered. The only thing I changed was I quit running, I guess I'll start that back up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

I go at least twice a day, normally 3 times I guess, but I stopped keeping a diary of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:26 pm 
Rabbit

wow what are you guys eating that makes you go more than once a day? I am pretty regular once a day, unless i'm eating unhealthily (is that a word?) and i havent gotten enough fiber. Its very rare i go more than once a day unless i'm doing some kind of clense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:53 am 
Manatee

just did a quick search on this and found...

Quote:
source and link to press release: American Academy of Neurology

...Constipation is defined as less than one bowel movement per day and is thought to afflict about 5 percent of the general population. In this study, men who were constipated were 2.7 times more likely to develop Parkinson’s as men who had an average of one bowel movement per day. As bowel movement frequency increased, the risk of Parkinson’s decreased.

Constipated men were 4.1 times more likely to develop Parkinson’s as men with an average of two bowel movements per day and 4.5 times more likely to develop the disease as men with more than two bowel movements per day. ...

interesting. i almost never feel constipated with my one per day, though.

like Jay said, more may be healthier.

www.funkdc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:00 am 
Elephant

How do you know how long it takes for food to go through, unless you are tracking a specific food (like corn!) that comes out in a recognizable state?

I have no idea how long it takss for thiings to pass, but I have 1 BM a day (sometimes two). And I 've had to get a new toilet plunger, to make sure my plumbing can handle the bulk (huge!--yes, I know, TMI!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:11 am 
Site Admin

SlightlyBitchy wrote:
wow what are you guys eating that makes you go more than once a day? I am pretty regular once a day, unless i'm eating unhealthily (is that a word?) and i havent gotten enough fiber. Its very rare i go more than once a day unless i'm doing some kind of clense

apples, soy, beans, brown rice, brown pasta, grape juice, nuts, water, corn, grapenuts, soy milk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:57 am 
Manatee

s e

Last edited by 9nines on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:03 pm 
Manatee

Note: stray from subject but something interesting that I learned:

Fiber (indigestible carbohydrates) does not cause you to pass waste it is the waste.

The fiber is the bulk of your waste. The brownish color is waste from the gallbladder I think (or it might be from a different organ), also other toxins and impurity your body is wasting is in the bulk.

The bulk of this fiber waste then presses on nerves at the end of your rectum, which gives the sensation to need to eliminate it an your involuntary muscles prepare to do this.

What happens to people on diets with little fiber, there is not much bulk and the little bulk there is and the toxins etc. stay at the end of intestines a long time because they are not of a size to trigger that process. They get compressed more and more from movements and become little lumps until enough collect to trigger the process. That is why for most people, on low fiber diet, it is very messy and needs much tissue paper clean-up.

For high fiber diet eaters, it is not only more frequent but should be a lot less messy.

I hope I did not gross anyone out but I found that interesting and wanted to share it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:22 pm 
Gorilla

Kathryn wrote:
How do you know how long it takes for food to go through, unless you are tracking a specific food (like corn!) that comes out in a recognizable state?

Ugh, I hate that about corn. I always make sure to chew it really well before swallowing.

Anyway I'm having surgery tomorrow for an anal fissure. I've gotten pretty good at seeing how long it takes foods to make their way from one end to the other these lasts 4 months as some foods cause extreme please let me just die pain while others just hurt real bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:00 am 
Stegosaurus

jay, i hope your doin' okay. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:40 am 
Elephant

i feel like i go all the darn time. At least 3...at least. I eat alot of fiber.

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming