Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Many of us have orthorexia!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:55 pm 
Gorilla

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/ ... g-disorder

This right here is a absolute joke, I feel like I'm living in la la land world.
"Orthorexics commonly have rigid rules around eating. Refusing to touch sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, wheat, gluten, yeast, soya, corn and dairy foods is just the start of their diet restrictions. Any foods that have come into contact with pesticides, herbicides or contain artificial additives are also out."

It's a fact that many of those are bad for us yet we have a problem if we don't want to eat them. I guess i should start getting drunk on the weekends with my buds maybe pop some vicoden so i can be normal. I guess the Establishment doesn't want healthy people because it's interferes with there medical profits.

Post subject: Re: Many of us have orthorexia!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:38 am 
Elephant

Actually, I kinda agree. I don't know if it's actually a diagnosable disorder, but I'd say that obsession over total purity is a problem.

Sure, it's a good thing to think about what you eat. It's good to make sure that you eat a range of fruit, veg, grains, beans, etc. It's great to ensure that your diet is not based on nutrient-devoid items like white bread and cakes. It's good to eat organic foods when you can.

However, if you are doing those things--if your diet is made mostly of healthful whole foods, having something 'bad' now and then, like a cookie or a slice of cake, is not going to kill you. If one is at a point where one can't eat a cookie ever because absolutely everything must be 'good', I'd agree that's most likely a problem.

I think that being vegan would be excluded, assuming it's for ethical reasons. That's not about making sure that everything you put in your body is 'pure', as evidenced by the fact that veganism isn't just about food.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:55 am 
It's seems people are obsessed with labeling EVERYTHING (remember the utterly bogus "Restless Leg Syndrome"?) these days. Now even giving a damn about what you eat may get you diagnosed with an actual disorder :?

Sure, being too anal about your diet isn't a good thing, but such labeling opens the door for a lot more BS than we already have. Unhealthy eating is an incomparably bigger issue than being too obsessed with dietary "purity".

Also, what I noticed is that a lot of folks are prone to jumping to extremes. No idea whether it's a new trend (or something characteristic of only the "western culture"), but it sure seems to be fairly widespread. One day you're eating pizza, ice cream and cheeseburgers, the next day it's all wheat grass, quinoa and unicorn tears. That kind of mind-set can't be healthy, can it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:14 am 
Rabbit

Next Pfizer is gonna come out with a little pill to treat said ridiculous disease. They will probably color it green or something along those lines.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:08 pm 
Elephant

xzebrasx wrote:
One day you're eating pizza, ice cream and cheeseburgers, the next day it's all wheat grass, quinoa and unicorn tears
:lachmal:

Quote:
"Orthorexics commonly have rigid rules around eating. Refusing to touch sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, wheat, gluten, yeast, soya, corn and dairy foods is just the start of their diet restrictions. Any foods that have come into contact with pesticides, herbicides or contain artificial additives are also out."
lol, and what are called those that eat those items and what is the name of their disease ? The first four ones aren't even foods and the six last ones are common allergens; as for pesticides and insecticides, its surely not food and who the hell would really want on purpose to eat something that has been sprayed with rat poison?
We live in a mad mad world governed by lunatics who think killing animals is normal and that not killing animals is being radical and an extremist.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:10 pm 
Rabbit

xzebrasx wrote:

Also, what I noticed is that a lot of folks are prone to jumping to extremes. No idea whether it's a new trend (or something characteristic of only the "western culture"), but it sure seems to be fairly widespread. One day you're eating pizza, ice cream and cheeseburgers, the next day it's all wheat grass, quinoa and unicorn tears. That kind of mind-set can't be healthy, can it?

Hey xzebrasx, do you know a good online source for unicorn tears? :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:12 pm 
Rabbit

timetide wrote:

Forget it, xzebrasx, I just realized that unicorn tears aren't vegan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:37 pm 
Rabbit

I guess I have orthorexia too.

Steven Bratman just wants to sell more copies of his nonsense book "health food junkies."

Orthorexia is not in the DSM.

Last edited by evolveahimsa on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:55 pm 
Gorilla

FormicaLinoleum wrote:
Actually, I kinda agree. I don't know if it's actually a diagnosable disorder, but I'd say that obsession over total purity is a problem.

Sure, it's a good thing to think about what you eat. It's good to make sure that you eat a range of fruit, veg, grains, beans, etc. It's great to ensure that your diet is not based on nutrient-devoid items like white bread and cakes. It's good to eat organic foods when you can.

However, if you are doing those things--if your diet is made mostly of healthful whole foods, having something 'bad' now and then, like a cookie or a slice of cake, is not going to kill you. If one is at a point where one can't eat a cookie ever because absolutely everything must be 'good', I'd agree that's most likely a problem.

I think that being vegan would be excluded, assuming it's for ethical reasons. That's not about making sure that everything you put in your body is 'pure', as evidenced by the fact that veganism isn't just about food.

I see where your coming from, but whats wrong with wanting are body to be as pure as possibile? I think eatting healthy can be a obsession for some people and it makes them more unhealthy, but you can say the same thing for anything people do. Work is needed to live but you can be obsessed and work 20 hours a day. We know that isn't healthy, but people just call them ambitious. I never touched a drug or alcohol in my life and it was really easy becasue i never tried them. I never obessed about not having them, just the opposite, since i never did them or put thought into it i could think about other stuff

I hear the arugement well eatting that cake or that white flower or that alcolhol isn't going to kill me. Well smoking a cigerett every month or doing meth once a month isn't going to actually kill you, but if has no busisness being in the body so its' best to have none if it. Plus doing bad things once in a while leads to more and more. doing processed foods here and there won't kill you, but living on them like people do sure well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:59 pm 
Gorilla

They keep coming up with more and more medical terms and conditions so everyone has something. Then they have a drug for whatever condition. What ever happen to the good ole days where people just lived and excepted there short comming and worked with what they have instead of walking around drugged out of there minds to cover up symtoms

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:24 pm 
timetide wrote:
timetide wrote:

Forget it, xzebrasx, I just realized that unicorn tears aren't vegan.

Yeah, man - those bastards've found a way to exploit even those who don't even exist.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:46 pm 
Elephant

I think Orthorexia is only considered a problem when the person "afflicted" with it becomes malnourished or severely underweight due to such rigid eating habits.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:42 pm 
Stegosaurus

Marcina wrote:
I think Orthorexia is only considered a problem when the person "afflicted" with it becomes malnourished or severely underweight due to such rigid eating habits.

Or if the person's obsession with eating healthy is causing them a lot of psychological problems.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:55 pm 
Gorilla

Marcina wrote:

Yeah i feel like if they only used the term in those cases it would be a fair description but there painting it with a thick brush calling anyone that competely avoids all those things as orthorexic when you can eat perfect and never obsess about food.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:20 am 
Elephant

xzebrasx wrote:
(remember the utterly bogus "Restless Leg Syndrome"?)

Hey now, RLS isn't bogus! I actually suffer from it--it's real and it sucks! My grandmother, mother, and brother all have/had it as well. We used to call it 'jumpy leg' until we learned that the was a name for it. Sure, it's not life threatening or anything, but it's a real thing and it is really unpleasant.