Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:25 pm 
Gorilla

Not too long at all. Thanks for sharing. I've been trying to eat a lot more fruit than I used to and I'm feeling a lot better as a result. I'm always really afraid I'll get really weak from less protein but I'm down to less than 50 grams a day and seem OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:47 pm 
Elephant

Thanks for your help SeaSiren!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:50 am 
Rabbit

Jay wrote:
Not too long at all. Thanks for sharing. I've been trying to eat a lot more fruit than I used to and I'm feeling a lot better as a result. I'm always really afraid I'll get really weak from less protein but I'm down to less than 50 grams a day and seem OK.

I try to get about 54 grams as my min...some days I get to 75...wowee ! thats 1/2 of what I used to get. Macro nutrient breakdown is a huge subject. I had to throw all my learn ideas out the window when I went raw...and I am re learning from a less narrow minded view of things.

Seasiren..Maca, Cacao, Spirulina ( BEST source of plant protein out there)..dulce....these are foods I did not eat until I went Raw. Now I cannot live with out !

L.

Post subject: wow....
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:06 am 
Manatee

You guys, well, "super gals" are really making me wonder about trying out a raw diet.

SeaSiren, your recipies/meals sound really good!! I'll bring my own chair and you won't even know I'm there......... :lol:

Raw Figure, I'm with SeaSiren, I've never even heard of "Maca, Gogi Berries, and Cholerella. Is the Spirulina the stuff you buy in a bottle at the health food store or are you getting that raw?

Ya, sprouting sounds worthwhile. There must be some literature out there somewhere.....

Thanks for the post and nice to meet you RawFigure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:33 am 
Gorilla

RawFigure wrote:

Seasiren..Maca, Cacao, Spirulina ( BEST source of plant protein out there)..dulce....these are foods I did not eat until I went Raw. Now I cannot live with out !

L.

Hey, RawFigure, good to see you. I love maca as well and have them in my green smoothies. I'm 100% raw for now - I have been for over a year now - though I'm not obsessive about the "purity" of it; so I leave it open and consider myself "high raw."

And, hey, post your pictures for us! I've seen your pictures when you used to compete and you were awesome, woman! Great fitness, great figure. come on! :D

Oh, and welcome :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:23 pm 
Rabbit

_raVen_ wrote:
RawFigure wrote:

L.

Hey, RawFigure, good to see you. I love maca as well and have them in my green smoothies. I'm 100% raw for now - I have been for over a year now - though I'm not obsessive about the "purity" of it; so I leave it open and consider myself "high raw."

And, hey, post your pictures for us! I've seen your pictures when you used to compete and you were awesome, woman! Great fitness, great figure. come on! :D

Oh, and welcome :)

Hmmm and who are you raVen...? have we meet ?

I have a few pictures posted on rawfoodtalk.com in the 30 day Challenge Gallery. I was going to pull them off soon as i do not Journal there now.

I too am High Raw. I do not obsess if I eat a cooked food. If I do it is because I made a concious choice to do so.

I like to sprout my Almonds, Seeds and Buckwheat sprouts great and I can make raw breads with it in my dehydrator. I also sprout mung, lentil and chick peas on occasssion.

There are some Great Books, websites for Raw Lifestyle. As with anything you have to weed thru what works and does not work for you.

There is the 10-10-80 raw food camp (10 protein 10 fat 80 carbs mostly from fruit) to the "you can eat anything if it is raw" camp...and then there are the only Organic types...and so on.

Yes MACA rocks, and is a boost for the females hormanal balance and enhances the "love life".

Gogi berries are a great anti oxident...

Cacao is the raw chocolate bean, controversal in the Raw World. But then again Braggs Amino's are contraversial too, raw... not raw ?

Spirulina is a dried sea veggie, great in vitamins minerals. Cholerella provides Protein for us who do not eat Soy, tofu, legumes.

Dulce, warning, is an aquired taste for sure. As is Kelp. very fishy.

If anyone needs resources let me know...

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:03 am 
Finch

I'm a raw vegan, I have Storms Circular Workout dvd.. he's amazingly fit for his age! I've read their ebooks and loved them.

His wife Jinjee tells amazing stories of raw pregnancy and natural childbirth.

I love also Victoria Boutenko's books, her most recent Green for Life
I was fascinated with her study on chimps and their diets, strangely however they do occasionally eat ants, or monkeys but not often.

THere are times where I'll have soy protein powder, and that's been prepared with heat, so that knocks me back from 100%

I sprout my seeds, lentils chick peas, drink green juices and smoothies often, use spirulina, I make nut milks and have them with maca.

Gabriel Cousens is inspiring, I found some great advice in his Conscious Eating book , I recently bought his "Spiritual Nutrition" and can't understand it :roll:

my favourite meal right now is a bunch of parsley, bunch of cilatnro a bunch of green onions 4 tomatoes chopped up with a dressing of mashed avacado and lemon, dash of honey olive oil and sea salt. (drool)

I use a dehydrator a lot for crisps, flaxcrackers or a mexican style corn chip, i add a salsa type sauce to with a slice of avacado.. yum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:52 am 
Gorilla

******Double post

Last edited by _raVen_ on Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:54 am 
Gorilla

RawFigure wrote:

Hmmm and who are you raVen...? have we meet ?

I have a few pictures posted on rawfoodtalk.com in the 30 day Challenge Gallery. I was going to pull them off soon as i do not Journal there now.

I too am High Raw. I do not obsess if I eat a cooked food. If I do it is because I made a concious choice to do so.

I like to sprout my Almonds, Seeds and Buckwheat sprouts great and I can make raw breads with it in my dehydrator. I also sprout mung, lentil and chick peas on occasssion.

There are some Great Books, websites for Raw Lifestyle. As with anything you have to weed thru what works and does not work for you.

There is the 10-10-80 raw food camp (10 protein 10 fat 80 carbs mostly from fruit) to the "you can eat anything if it is raw" camp...and then there are the only Organic types...and so on.

Yes MACA rocks, and is a boost for the females hormanal balance and enhances the "love life".

Gogi berries are a great anti oxident...

Cacao is the raw chocolate bean, controversal in the Raw World. But then again Braggs Amino's are contraversial too, raw... not raw ?

Spirulina is a dried sea veggie, great in vitamins minerals. Cholerella provides Protein for us who do not eat Soy, tofu, legumes.

Dulce, warning, is an aquired taste for sure. As is Kelp. very fishy.

If anyone needs resources let me know...

[/img]

Oh, yes, that's where I saw your pictures :).
I still haven't tasted the ubiquitous gogi berry. I heard it tastes like cranberries. I don't eat dried fruit or gourmet raw or dehydrated stuff, etc.; I eat fresh raw. I had a journal going but just deleted mine too. My diet is very basic now and routine: 64 oz smoothie, Fruit Meal (mono), Vegetable-Fats meal. If I snack it will be handful of nuts, another smoothie, or fruit. Pretty simple, but I worked it out and that's it. I take hemp protein powder or raw rice protein occasionally.
Hmmm...haven't felt those effects from the maca, dammit! :D

Ooh, I do like cacoa, but don't eat it, lol. I have a bag of it, but never really think to use it. How do you use it?

You know what's funny about the whole Braggs and cacao thing? many of these people were discussing how you *have to* be 100% raw. But at the time they were claiming this and getting all the benefits they were consuming non-raw foods like Bragg's, nutritional yeast etc. and only later discontiued them when they found out. So what does this say about their 100% theory? It's only in the mind then? Okay, then everyone just has to pretend they're eating raw and it will work!! Lol.
Yea, I don't buy it. But, like I said, I'm 100% right now and doing great. I don't know it will always be that way,though. And I certainly don't think everyone has to be 100% to see dramatic results.

I like sprouts too, but dont grow my own wheatgrass and sprout anymore. I just buy it if I want it now on occasion.
You know it's nice to associate with folks who aren't so manic about it all! It really gets weird, you know?

SamL I think you used to post at RFT too. Did you have your baby? Are you still eating all raw? Can't remember if you were 100%. Good to see you, welcome! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:39 pm 
Finch

Quote:
SamL I think you used to post at RFT too. Did you have your baby? Are you still eating all raw? Can't remember if you were 100%. Good to see you, welcome!

No I didn't have a baby. I'd like to some day.

I moved on from forum, it was a great starting point for me, but a little intense about raw, when all I wanted to be was raw LOL...

I'm as interested in serious training as I am in what I eat.

I take Universal Advanced Soy Pro, which wouldn't be "RAW" from time to time.

If my brown rice hasn't sprouted in time for when I need it, (I get caught from time to time) then I'll cook some, might not be raw but still gives me energy when I need to train.

I like to say I'm raw, not getting hung up on 100%

I do pay attention to the products I buy, my olive oil, hemp oil, namu shoyu, agave nectar, yacon syrup, maca, cacao nibs, unhulled sesame tahini, honey, sea salt, carob powder, mesquite powder etc.. is all raw.
have an old fridge set aside, full of organic herbs, seeds & nuts.

In reply to a post "what do I do with the cacao nibs"

my treat I don't do often is..

1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup coconut water
4 tblp cacao (grind in coffee grinder to a powder) or raw carob powder
1/2 tsp sea salt

Mix in processor, roll into balls...

I just dump it in a bowl, set it in fridge, and stick my finger in it from time to time. YUM!!

Lots of people talk about the high energy buzzing feeling from cacao, so I ate a whole serve once, trying to 'feel' it... :roll: nothing!! lol

but it's good for you.. thats the buzz... chocolate can be good for you!
It has a compound in it 'theobromine' similar to caffeine, mood-elevating effects. The reports about chocolate addiction are probably right..

With cacao nibs your chocolate 'rush' is highly intensified, because nothing is lost to the effects of heat. 'superior, healthy chocolate'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:55 pm 
Gorilla

Ah, okay. Well, I really need to get into lifting. I am SO unmotivated, though. :( I am a runner and I study martial arts and cycle -- been working out for many years -- I just can't "get into" lifting :? I just don't enjoy it. I've done it for a while, but soon burn out; start again, burn, etc.

yea, I've read about that buzz :D. I'd rather just nibble on the pieces, really. I've grown to like that taste; it's much sweeter and milder than processed unsweetened conventional chocolate, which I found horrible the same way.

Good info, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:48 pm 
Finch

Quote:
I am a runner

I'm a runner too. I don't mind being lean as opposed to bulky muscle.
I'd love to run a marathon some day.

Lately I've taken up swimming, I'm hopeless at it, but each day I get stronger.

I love kayaking, same thing, just a learner.

Good to run into you again in cyberspace Raven .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:23 am 
Elephant

_raVen_ wrote:
I still haven't tasted the ubiquitous gogi berry. I heard it tastes like cranberries.

I just started eating goji berries this year. They kind of remind me of a 'not-tart cranberry' or a 'not-so-sweet cherry" or actually a cross between the two.

I've been interested in raw foods for a long time, and have gone back and forth. I once did a 3 day juice fast, followed by two weeks of raw foods (right after getting 3 wisdom teeth pulled--the doc said I was healing faster than he expected). But I didn't stick with it.

I've gotten too much into cooked foods, IMO, and lately have bee adding more raw foods in and reading about raw fooding.

What are some good mail order sources for things like maca (I currently get maca extreme from www.rawfood.com, but their shipping charges are a bit steep!) and goji and sprouting supplies, dehydrators, etc. Good selection and prices.

And any recs on good books? I just finished "Rawsome" by Brigitte Mars. I really liked "Thrive" by Brendan Brazier (convinced me to add chlorella and to keep up with the maca and hemp protein).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:53 am 
Elephant

I like Living on Live Food By Alissa Cohen. Also check out some of Storm & Jinjees e-books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:25 pm 
Rabbit

I find the raw food online stores to have very steep shipping So I usually save up and place a HUGE order, shipping increases minimally once you get the base price.

rawfood.com does seem to be the only reputable source of Cacao beans under the Natures First Law Label.

I also love the Tocotrenials (raw vitamin E) added to my smoothies and my raw protein bars. Pricey but worth it.

I have my Natural Food Store yet some things for me. They got some Gogi Berries and now they say they are there biggest selling food item, also they get me Maca Gold. So if you live in a Larger City ..see if they can pick up a few items.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next