Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:32 pm 
Gorilla

SamL wrote:
Quote:
I am a runner

I'm a runner too. I don't mind being lean as opposed to bulky muscle.
I'd love to run a marathon some day.

Lately I've taken up swimming, I'm hopeless at it, but each day I get stronger.

I love kayaking, same thing, just a learner.

Good to run into you again in cyberspace Raven .

I'd love to get into swimming too. For sure, I won't be able to run like a madwoman as I do now for very long. Swimming is great for low impact, but full body workout. Now that would probably give me some much needed upper body strength! Need to get a pool now.

Yea, good to see ya too, thanks! It'll be nice to get to know you better :)

kathryn wrote:
...But I didn't stick with it.

I've gotten too much into cooked foods, IMO, and lately have bee adding more raw foods in and reading about raw fooding.

What are some good mail order sources for things like maca (I currently get maca extreme from www.rawfood.com, but their shipping charges are a bit steep!) and goji and sprouting supplies, dehydrators, etc. Good selection and prices.

And any recs on good books? I just finished "Rawsome" by Brigitte Mars. I really liked "Thrive" by Brendan Brazier (convinced me to add chlorella and to keep up with the maca and hemp protein).

Yea, it can be hard to stick to. I think it's best to just go at your own pace, adding more and more as you can. I think Dr. Fuhrman has a fantastic plan which is very healthy. He advocates adding more raw and his plan actually requires you to eat at least 1 lb. of raw vegetables a day, plus fruit; so that's a good start.

I like NATURAL ZING. They have good service, I get my packages quickly, well packed, and the prices aren't too bad, I think.

Hmmm...books...I have two, and both were a waste of my time, really :). I have Juliano's, "RAW," and Alissa Cohen's, "Living on Live Food." I would say, if you really really need guidance and want to make recipes, then Alissa's is good. I just sort of knew all the stuff she has to say in her book and I don't make raw "recipes"; so it was sort of a waste. Matter of fact, would you like the book? I could send it to you; I have no need for it, really. (no charge, of course!) Let me know by email or pm.

Cool to have so many people wanting to add rawfoods! It's nice to have sane people to talk to about it, :lol:

RawFigure do you have a Whole Foods market near you? Mine is selling them now. I have seen them in 3 different stores around here, actually. It's everywhere now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:50 pm 
Finch

I gave NATURAL ZING. a try. I put in an order for Olive Oil cause I'm getting low.

$92 Shipping to Aust :shock: :shock:

I find www.rawfood.com the same

If anyone happens across another outlet, please post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:55 pm 
Gorilla

Ack! Sorry :( Nothing around you, ha? Ugh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:58 am 
Finch

there is a one I know of, they are great, but still developing.

Gradually add more thing to their products list, the raw movement isn't as advanced here yet.

URL Raw Pleasure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:33 pm 
Rabbit

I was 100% raw for a while but I didn't like it. I was hungry all the time, ate too much fat and sugar etc. I guess I didn't know how to do it right and feel satisfied. I also lost too much weight on it.

I try to eat high raw now, but I don't have plans on going back to 100% again. I just feel more balanced with a little bit of cooked grains and beans and some hot things. I especially love hot tea!

I really like the raw chocolate recipes. I don't feel sick after the raw deserts like I do with regular deserts but they taste just as good. My favorite so far is this raw chocolate mousse cake recipe I found online. They have a lot of free raw recipes on this site and even videos online showing how to make them, and a lot of them are with Alissa Cohen. Her stuff is so simple. I find that a lot easier to see someone do it then just to try to figure out what they mean by reading the instructions on a recipe. http://greenchefs.tv

http://gliving.tv/shows/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:39 pm 
Rabbit

nik wrote:
I was 100% raw for a while but I didn't like it. I was hungry all the time, ate too much fat and sugar etc. I guess I didn't know how to do it right and feel satisfied. I also lost too much weight on it.

I try to eat high raw now, but I don't have plans on going back to 100% again. I just feel more balanced with a little bit of cooked grains and beans and some hot things. I especially love hot tea!

I really like the raw chocolate recipes. I don't feel sick after the raw deserts like I do with regular deserts but they taste just as good. My favorite so far is this raw chocolate mousse cake recipe I found online. They have a lot of free raw recipes on this site and even videos online showing how to make them, and a lot of them are with Alissa Cohen. Her stuff is so simple. I find that a lot easier to see someone do it then just to try to figure out what they mean by reading the instructions on a recipe. http://greenchefs.tv

http://gliving.tv/shows/

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! I LOVE that website! The recipies are fabulous...damn, I knew I should buy a food processer. Ok, now I gotta start experimenting on my non-vegan friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:35 am 
Elephant

My view on all of this is that changing your eating lifestyle is a long journey!!

one mistake I see a lot of people making is putting the raw diet and their detox into the same bag

I personal believe that detox and the Raw Vegan lifestyle are two separate things

but a lot of people have a bad detox then quit and blame the Raw Vegan lifestyle

the key is to not quit, get past the detox

then.... and only then will you be able to live and enjoy the TRUE Raw Vegan lifestyle

:wink:

Seasiren I'm well impressed with your knowledge of raw veganism!! :wink: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:18 pm 
Elephant

Bigbwii wrote:
Seasiren I'm well impressed with your knowledge of raw veganism!! :wink: 8)

Awe..thank-you :oops:

It's been quite a learning experience. The more I learn about it, the more I realize I have so much more to learn. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:58 pm 
Elephant

Yeah, I find that it's two fold

There's learning it

then there's experiencing it!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:10 pm 
Stegosaurus

I was almost at 90% for a few weeks, but it's hard to keep food stocked in my house because I live in an unsupportive household, and I get into fights over things like buying my own food, so I'm about 50 - 60% raw now, though that number's working it's way up probably by about 5% as the weeks go on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:41 pm 
Elephant

hey, when i come back from tour im gonna try eating about 80% raw. what kinds of raw foods should i be eating daily?

also im on a limited budget, so please suggest the cheapeast healthiest options available. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:13 pm 
Rabbit

Bananas! :D

Post subject: So glad to see this thread!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:36 pm 
Rabbit

I'm at approximately 60% raw and setting very short term goals. A few weeks ago, I "found" Storm and Jinjee's again, obtained their "Garden Diet" e-books and learned what I did wrong about 25 years ago when first trying a raw diet. :oops:

True here too that consuming organic, raw foods runs the food bill up - I like what Tonya Kay says: "this is not a discount body." (love that Vegan Fitness Team!) :wink:

I was first introduced to raw foods through the work of Ann Wigmore and Viktoras Kulvinskas. One lovely being, Marcia Acciardo was so inspired to create a book, "Light Eating for Survival." It was given to me as a gift when I was pregnant (that beautiful "baby" is now 23 years - lol). At the time, I was vegetarian, had sprout jars on every windowsill in the apartment, but experienced such incredible cravings and a huge appetite - couldn't even begin to entertain the idea of going raw.

Experience has suggested that my system needs a slow introduction to a new pattern. It's same for weight lifting, etc. I rarely say "never," but once in the groove, it becomes more of a lifestyle.

Today, I find it most desirable to eat raw and always feel more energetic and alert on "salad days." Looking forward to my body assimilating less cooked food. Yet, I've got much to learn. Similar to my first efforts as a vegan years ago, I didn't take the time to learn about nutrition, resulting in a severe anemic condition and digestive problems. Thankfully, raw foods availability (and variety) has greatly changed since I was first introduced to the possibility of eating this way 100%.

It's really terrific to see so many folks here interested in this healthy approach to eating.

Jean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:38 pm 
Elephant

Rain Forrest wrote:
Bananas! :D

yep i already eat plenty of those. hehe.

but what else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:46 pm 
Rabbit

Committing 100% to raw food isn't as healthy as a balanced diet without that restriction. Many foods are easier to utilize their nutrients once they are cooked, as well as some that aren't. It's good to eat some food raw but others are better cooked. Many foods contain toxins that are destroyed when they are cooked.

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA357082/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next