Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: strawberries with fish genes in them!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:26 am 
Offline
Stegosaurus

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 3110
Apparently, on the genetic engineering front, they are looking to put fish genes into strawberries so the berries wont freeze. Not sure if this has already happened or if it is in the 'research' stages but beware if you are eating GMO foods that they may have animal genes in them, like these literally fishy strawberries. :shock:

I try to stay away from Frankenstein foods as much as possible. scary stuff. dont you love how they were just 'sneaked' into the market without anybody bothering to ask or inform us consumers? :roll: :evil:

_________________
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:03 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:42 pm
Posts: 533
I never understood why people got so up in arms about GMO's. Personally I think it's pretty cool stuff. Is it just because it's not 'natural'?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:51 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1810
Location: florida
sinisterkungfu wrote:
I never understood why people got so up in arms about GMO's. Personally I think it's pretty cool stuff. Is it just because it's not 'natural'?


Rumor has it that Devo grew red pyramids on top of their heads because they ate too many GMO's

_________________
[url=http://willpeavy.net/:34olz5pn]willpeavy.net[/url:34olz5pn]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:55 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 897
Location: West Virginia
The GMO ends up spread all over the place and that combined with inadequate testing could have be potentially very bad. Also related to that farmers not producing the GMO end up in trouble because the wind spread the seeds on to their land and they are accused of stealing it. They don't have the right to be growing it.

Monsanto is making GMOs that don't produce seeds so they can make greater profits and really fuck those third world farmers even harder. Then when the farmers commit suicide they can buy up the land.

A lot of the GMO stuff is actually designed solely to increase profits because well that's how capitalism works. This means increasing yields on a total mass basis and if the GMO has less nutrients, etc big fucking whoop. That's just too fucking bad. As long as profits are maximized the health problems that may creep up are not a concern.

With all this said, yes, of course GMO's could potentially be a very good thing. Being against them isn't knee jerk luddism. But the reality is that the technology is being used in harmful ways as is often the case with technology.


Last edited by Jay on Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:57 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 897
Location: West Virginia
willpeavy wrote:
sinisterkungfu wrote:
I never understood why people got so up in arms about GMO's. Personally I think it's pretty cool stuff. Is it just because it's not 'natural'?


Rumor has it that Devo grew red pyramids on top of their heads because they ate too many GMO's

:lol: I bet Mothersbaugh isn't a fan of GMOs. He was all anti-corporate power way back then before the internet age.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:18 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 3110
From what I understand, and as many enviro groups say, gm foods are nutritionally deficient. That is what we DO know. As far as are they harmful to your health. Well, we dont know whether they are "safe". The burden of proving their safety for long term consumption should lie with those who are profiting from the GM foods. I also find it interesting that the goverenment has, last time I checked, succumb to industry pressure and refused to mandate GM labeling. Hmmm....that should raise some suspicion. Why dont the companies want them labeled and why did they bring GM foods into the market in such a back door, sneaky, quiet way?

Greenpeace which I know Will is a huge fan of has an anti-GM campaign. I am sure Sinister that you can find a whole bunch of info on the concerns for GM foods on their site.

And finally, we have irradiated foods. Somehow, zapping food with gamma rays just doesnt seem to be a wise idea. I read somewhere that eating an irradiated piece of fruit is like having 20 chest x-rays (cant remember where I read this but it wasnt an authoritative source). Maybe Jay can speak to irradition a little more?

Honestly, I can enough radiation from my cell phone and computer screen.

And lastly, there is the original point of this thread which was fishy strawberrries. This kind of genetic engineering would violate the dietary ethics of vegans. We could be eating veggies that arent even vegan for crying out loud. :shock: What next?


my two cents, but then again I am NO scientist like jay.

_________________
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:32 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1810
Location: florida
Jay wrote:
willpeavy wrote:
sinisterkungfu wrote:
I never understood why people got so up in arms about GMO's. Personally I think it's pretty cool stuff. Is it just because it's not 'natural'?


Rumor has it that Devo grew red pyramids on top of their heads because they ate too many GMO's

:lol: I bet Mothersbaugh isn't a fan of GMOs. He was all anti-corporate power way back then before the internet age.


True man, he's an old school punk rocker

_________________
[url=http://willpeavy.net/:34olz5pn]willpeavy.net[/url:34olz5pn]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:35 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1810
Location: florida
I'm not against GMOs. I'm just against using technology irresponsibly, which seems to be what happens with GMOs more often than not now. In my idealized vision of the future food on Earth would all be produced hydroponically in giant greenhouse skyscrapers. This would eliminate the desertification and soil leaching of modern agriculture and would allow food to be grown locally, and without pesticides regardless of climate/region. GMOs could help make this happen. Of course nothing like that will happen soon, but it's fun to dream

_________________
[url=http://willpeavy.net/:34olz5pn]willpeavy.net[/url:34olz5pn]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:44 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 897
Location: West Virginia
compassionategirl wrote:
And finally, we have irradiated foods. Somehow, zapping food with gamma rays just doesnt seem to be a wise idea. I read somewhere that eating an irradiated piece of fruit is like having 20 chest x-rays (cant remember where I read this but it wasnt an authoritative source). Maybe Jay can speak to irradition a little more?

This isn't a part of GM foods though...? Anyway, no. That is definitely not true about it being like 20 chest x-rays. There is NO radiation left over in radiated foods. A radioactive source gives off particles, either alpha, beta, gamma, or x-rays. These particles when they hit something will "mess it up." But the actual particles don't leave any radiation behind. They just "mess the thing up." So they put food near a radiation source which gives off whatever kind of radiation. The food has no radiation as a result of being near the radiation source. It just gets damaged from the radiation. Maybe the damage that results isn't actually so good for a person to then be eating it? Maybe. But it appears that it's safe.

Quote:
Honestly, I can enough radiation from my cell phone and computer screen.

Eh, I don't know what is emitted from a cell phone and screen. Is there any radiation? I don't know. Radiation also has a separate meaning in that heat can "radiate."

Quote:
And lastly, there is the original point of this thread which was fishy strawberrries. This kind of genetic engineering would violate the dietary ethics of vegans. We could be eating veggies that arent even vegan for crying out loud. :shock: What next?

I guess the testing will mean killing some fish? I don't beyond the testing it will kill any fish. I guess it's a concern. Yeah it is maybe kinda fucked up.

Quote:
my two cents, but then again I am NO scientist like jay.

Please, you're embarrassing me. You don't have to be a "scientist" to know about this stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:51 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 3110
sorry jay, didnt mean to embarass you. :shock: meant to flatter you.

hats off to scientists. way harder than being a lawyer.

_________________
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: strawberries with fish genes in them!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:00 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:38 pm
Posts: 1484
Location: USA
compassionategirl wrote:
Apparently, on the genetic engineering front, they are looking to put fish genes into strawberries so the berries wont freeze. Not sure if this has already happened or if it is in the 'research' stages but beware if you are eating GMO foods that they may have animal genes in them, like these literally fishy strawberries. :shock:

Yuck ! :? Sometimes I think the best thing to do is grow my own fruits and veggies, but I'm not certain how well I would do in the city.... :shock: :x ...and I've killed a cactus before. :oops:

_________________
Out of my mind...Back in five minutes.

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: strawberries with fish genes in them!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:43 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 3110
Crash wrote:
compassionategirl wrote:
Apparently, on the genetic engineering front, they are looking to put fish genes into strawberries so the berries wont freeze. Not sure if this has already happened or if it is in the 'research' stages but beware if you are eating GMO foods that they may have animal genes in them, like these literally fishy strawberries. :shock:

Yuck ! :? Sometimes I think the best thing to do is grow my own fruits and veggies, but I'm not certain how well I would do in the city.... :shock: :x ...and I've killed a cactus before. :oops:


ya, i would love to live in a place where i could grown my own food. that would be awesome.

i think jonathan is gonna do that once he moves to ireland in a few years. maybe i will secretly move in next door to him and raid his garden daily when he is away at work.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
(hope he doesnt see this thread - otherwise, my plan is a bust :shock: ).

_________________
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:04 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:23 pm
Posts: 1484
Location: Illinois
sinisterkungfu wrote:
I never understood why people got so up in arms about GMO's. Personally I think it's pretty cool stuff. Is it just because it's not 'natural'?


FOr me, it's because they aren't necessarily being created for the benefit of the consumer.

One example: Round-Up ready soybeans (GMO soy created to be resistant to Round-Up chemicals so that they can be sprayed on the field without much care). Not only are they made to be R-U ready, but they are made to be sterile, so farmers who traditionally have saved seeds from one harvest to plant in the following year can't. This especially affects poor farmers and those in other countries. And in case some of the seeds are still fertile, farmers who buy R-U ready soy have to sign an agreement that they will not save the seeds.

Monsanto has even gone after farmers living NEXT TO fields who have R-U ready 'volunteer' plants growing .

Also, the R-U ready soy are created by combining genes from soy, a (petunia? some flower), a virus and a bacteria. Who knows what affect that can have on the body?

As Jay said, GMO foods don't just affect the fields they are grown in, but can royally mess up the environment. They can cross-pollenate with other plants (like the weeds that farmers don't want) and cause super weeds (just like taking antibiotics can produce antibiotic-resistance in bacteria in our bodies, this cross-pollinization causes chemical-resistant weeds. Just recently, I heard a news story that many weeds are now becoming resistant to Round-Up. Which makes the GMO soy that is resistant to it pretty useless!).

Good old fashioned hybridization (someone noticing good qualities in plant A and plant B, and cross pollinating them) is one thing, but when scientists start messig with mother nature (especially when it's mostly for corporate greed) they often go too far.

I believe in disclosure to customers, which isn't being done. While manufacturers have voluntarily labeled products "GMO-free," there is no law requiring GMO products to be labeled. And I think most Canola (?) products that aren't otherwise labeled, for example, ARE GMO.

FYI: You can check for GMO fresh fruits and veggies by looking at the number code on them. If it starts with "8", they are GMO. (If it starts with "9" they are organically grown).

Just another reason to choose organic, which can't be GMO, or irradiated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:08 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:23 pm
Posts: 1484
Location: Illinois
As for irradiated foods, they don't pick up radiation, but they are molecularly changed somewhat. I'll bet a Kirilian photo of an irradiated apple would look like the apple is dead, while a Kirilian photo of a non-irradiated apple would look alive.

I recently ordered some products from an online raw food supplier, and the box came with a big orange sticker informing the P.O. that it contained organic foods and it was illegal to irradiate it. on

Does the P.O. regularly irradiate boxes that pass through it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:02 am 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:42 pm
Posts: 533
Kathryn wrote:
As for irradiated foods, they don't pick up radiation, but they are molecularly changed somewhat. I'll bet a Kirilian photo of an irradiated apple would look like the apple is dead, while a Kirilian photo of a non-irradiated apple would look alive.

I recently ordered some products from an online raw food supplier, and the box came with a big orange sticker informing the P.O. that it contained organic foods and it was illegal to irradiate it. on

Does the P.O. regularly irradiate boxes that pass through it?


I'm sure they tend to x-ray alot of packages that are mailed looking for suspicious materials.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group