Intermittent fasting

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Vegan Joe
Stegosaurus

Re: Intermittent fasting

#16 Postby Vegan Joe » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:01 pm

xjohanx wrote:B12 and D. Why?

Just wondering, as you were talking about you diet so to speak. I take a multi about every other day. not suggesting to you. Just wondering. :D

Happiness is a personal choice!
I am the sole source of all my sadness and joy.

"The logic of worldly success rests on a
fallacy: the strange error that our perfection
depends on the thoughts and
opinions and applause of other men."
Source: Thomas Merton

cubby2112
Elephant

#17 Postby cubby2112 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:22 pm

I love how you quoted just the smiley, Joe. :D

Yeah, I am so back and forth with the smoothie. Having it in the morning doesn't make me crave lunch. Whether I have it or not, I am fine until mealtime. I guess since it is an entirely liquid breakfast, my body probably cruises through its digestion, getting back to a state of rest pretty quickly.
Cubby's Fitness Log

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

MaryStella
Stegosaurus

#18 Postby MaryStella » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 am

Not sure if this counts or not but I usually have at least a 12 usually a 14 hour fast. I eat right after my evening workout and then I don't eat again until after my morning workout. I used to get some comments about how I couldn't have properly fueled up for my morning workout but it always seems to workout fine for me.

xjohanx
Elephant

#19 Postby xjohanx » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:29 am

I don't think there's anything that "counts" or doesn't, 12-14 hours is a pretty long time so I bet you get some health benefits out of it. The "classic" IF regimen is 16 hours fast and an 8 hour feeding window but everyone does it differently.
Regarding the fueling, I think doing what feels good is the only way to go and personally (like you) I don't need to fuel up a whole lot before a workout. I eat at 11 pm and train the next day at around 4 pm. I take EAA and creatine before and usually I try to drink some coffe or diet coke to boost myself with caffeine but I manage just fine without it. The people talking with you about not being properly fueled are probably people that are bound to eat every three hours and protein shakes too, at least they are in my case :D
cubby2112 wrote:When someone says you don't train "functionally," you should just punch them in the face. Ask them how "functional" of a movement that was.

MaryStella
Stegosaurus

#20 Postby MaryStella » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:48 am

I do tend to eat every three hours or so in the hours that I am eating just to be clear but once I stop eating for the day I am done until the next post workout session which like I said is usually a 14 hour window and when I break that fast it is with a vega shake. Then a couple of hours later I actually eat. It's funny but the people that gave me a hard time about not eating before training were bodybuilders. They insisted that I had to be burning off muscle because I wasn't properly fueled. But being a female and not making serious amounts of test I don't really have hypertrophy or serious muscle built up so I don't have a real worry about it. Im more into performance anyway and I do feel like the fast break helps.

cubby2112
Elephant

#21 Postby cubby2112 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:22 am

I would say the 12-14 hour break definitely counts. You start to get the benefits of a fast within about four hours of eating.
Cubby's Fitness Log

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

xjohanx
Elephant

#22 Postby xjohanx » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:32 pm

Damn I love this sooooo much. I fasted for about 19 hours today except EAA and felt great. Training is going really well and body fat is in check.
cubby2112 wrote:When someone says you don't train "functionally," you should just punch them in the face. Ask them how "functional" of a movement that was.

I'm Your Man
Elephant

#23 Postby I'm Your Man » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:48 pm

yeah I found it funny too when Joe quoted a smiley. :)

I love fasting too. Its great when you just skip some meals because you're not hungry and you feel fine with lots of energy, I enjoy it more than if I decide to avoid eating just to fast.
I often fast for 12 hours since I dont always eat a breakfast or when I eat pretty early in the evening. I like also when I eat very little during the day, so that it keeps some benefits like a fasting. For instance few days ago I was training at the gym in the evening after eating only 2 slices of bread in the morning and a few apples throughout the day and was feeling perfectly fine.
Today I drank a cup of yerba mate at noon after 12 hours fast, I trained 20 minutes with pull-ups, chin-ups, then walked 7 km while eating 4-5 apples. Ate something higher in calories only around 5 p.m, some FlapJacks (oat bars). Then walked again 7 km while lifting a bag.
"Do your best, don't worry, be happy" - Meher Baba

MaryStella
Stegosaurus

#24 Postby MaryStella » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:15 pm

It's awesome that there are other people on here doing this!!!

cubby2112
Elephant

#25 Postby cubby2112 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:40 pm

I just skipped breakfast today, because my stomach has been cramping up really bad these past few days, which is I think due to stress from moving. I ate my first meal at about 3pm. I didn't go too crazy, just a green smoothie, some very well chewed carrots and a couple bananas with nut butter. A good quantity of food, but all stuff that digests easily. I liked skipping breakfast. I think I am going to try this for a few days and see what I think.
Cubby's Fitness Log

-offense74

MaryStella
Stegosaurus

#26 Postby MaryStella » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:56 pm

That sounds like a good breakfast 2 me

cubby2112
Elephant

#27 Postby cubby2112 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:28 pm

MaryStella wrote:That sounds like a good breakfast 2 me

Yep, haha. I pretty much moved my breakfast to 3pm and made it bigger. :D

Just about to venture into my second meal, which will be some extremely thick soup, which is how I always make it. I will see how many veggies and beans I can stuff down.
Cubby's Fitness Log

-offense74

xjohanx
Elephant

#28 Postby xjohanx » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:39 am

Awesome dude. I pretty much find the same thing happening to me. Welcome to the dark side :D

cubby2112
Elephant

#29 Postby cubby2112 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:29 am

The dark side is good. I will add quite a few more beans into my soup the next time, and a little more nutritional yeast. I ended up eating about 5-6 ounces of nuts yesterday, and still consumed fewer calories than usual. I would like more of those calories to be legumes. Today will work even better.
Cubby's Fitness Log

-offense74

xjohanx
Elephant

#30 Postby xjohanx » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:02 pm

Awesome. Yeah I eat a lot of nuts/seeds too. Usually I try to eat most of my fats in my last meal since fat seems to give more long term satiety.

Anyway, I did a bodpod test today and without actually trying and just getting back into the gym (3 weeks ago) I'm down to 6,8% bodyfat thanks to IF. It rules, get into it!

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”