Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Intermittent fasting
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:59 pm 
Elephant

Increased p70(s6k) phosphorylation during intake of a protein-carbohydrate drink following resistance exercise in the fasted state.

Quote:
The present study aimed at comparing the responses of myogenic regulatory factors and signaling pathways involved in muscle protein synthesis after a resistance training session performed in either the fasted or fed state. According to a randomized crossover study design, six young male subjects participated in two experimental sessions separated by 3 weeks. In each session, they performed a standardized resistance training. After the sessions, they received during a 4-h recovery period 6 ml/kg b.w. h of a solution containing carbohydrates (50 g/l), protein hydrolysate (33 g/l), and leucine (16.6 g/l). On one occasion, the resistance exercise session was performed after the intake of a carbohydrate-rich breakfast (B), whereas in the other session they remained fasted (F). Needle biopsies from m. vastus lateralis were obtained before (Rest), and 1 h (+1h) and 4 h (+4h) after exercise. Myogenin, MRF4, and MyoD1 mRNA contents were determined by RT-PCR. Phosphorylation of PKB (protein kinase B), GSK3, p70(s6k) (p70 ribosomal S6 kinase), eIF2B, eEF2 (eukaryotic elongation factor 2), ERK1/2, and p38 was measured via western blotting. Compared with F, the pre-exercise phosphorylation states of PKB and p70(s6k) were higher in B, whereas those of eIF2B and eEF2 were lower. During recovery, the phosphorylation state of p70(s6k) was lower in B than in F (p = 0.02). There were no differences in basal mRNA contents between B and F. However, compared with F at +1h, MyoD1 and MRF4 mRNA contents were lower in B (p < 0.05). Our results indicate that prior fasting may stimulate the intramyocellular anabolic response to ingestion of a carbohydrate/protein/leucine mixture following a heavy resistance training session.

I'm not sure if this matters much in the long run but it's pretty cool and supporting the idea that training in a fasted state isn't a catabolic disaster.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:27 pm 
Elephant

Good stuff. I am always for more studies.

That study reminds me of the leucine thread we had going. I might have to resurrect that soon. That was an interesting one.

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:47 pm 
Elephant

Bumping this!

30th september I weighed 67,3 kg and had 6,8% bodyfat. Today (3/12) my weight is 68,9 kg and my bf% is 4,7. That means I've lost 1,2 kg fat and gained 2,8 kg fat free mass. IF rules, get into it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:44 pm 
Elephant

I wonder how well this works when you don't exercise...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:57 pm 
Elephant

Anabolics...No dude I work out 3-4 times per week :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:19 pm 
Elephant

Nice, Johan!

I am not sure where my body fat is, but I have dropped 7lbs and gained a bunch of strength since two months ago. I think I might nail a 405 deadlift in a few weeks.

BTW everyone, the leangains.com blog was updated recently with two parts of an interview with a champion female figure competitor who uses IF.

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:17 pm 
Elephant

405 deadlift would be awesome!

[url]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1994 ... tionsensor[/url]

Also check leangains.com for Martins comments. Really nothing new but still cool!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:22 pm 
Elephant

cubby2112 wrote:
My food intake as per Johan's request on the Dr. Fuhrman bodybuilding thread:

Then when I get home, I eat a soup made with
2 cups dried beans, cooked
1lb leafy greens
1lb solid vegetables
1 6oz can tomato paste
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup nuts/seeds
I blend half of it to make a creamy soup, then eat half of it, usually with a piece of fruit and some carrots.

What kinds of combos of nuts and seeds are you using Cubby?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:14 am 
Elephant

Mostly flax, sunflower, pumpkin and black sesame for seeds. Walnuts, almonds and Brazils for nuts.

-offense74

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:17 am 
Elephant

cubby2112 wrote:
Mostly flax, sunflower, pumpkin and black sesame for seeds. Walnuts, almonds and Brazils for nuts.

Does it make a difference on how you combine them? Do they taste better or worse with certain configurations? Are they just about the same due to mild flavors?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:34 pm 
Elephant

pazios2002 wrote:
cubby2112 wrote:

Does it make a difference on how you combine them? Do they taste better or worse with certain configurations? Are they just about the same due to mild flavors?

Pumpkin, black (or white) sesame and Brazil are the only ones with a strong flavor. Pumpkin seeds are great for Italian food, sesame is great for Chinese/Japanese and Middle Eastern, and Brazil nuts are good anywhere you would put peanuts.

-offense74

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:17 am 
Elephant

http://www.leangains.com/ has a new post. It is about fasted state workouts and how a recent study showed an increase in certain factors post workout that assist in muscle building. There is a link to the study right at the top of the post. Interesting stuff, but obviously not enough evidence to go and make all your workouts fasted from now on. It really makes me want to start taking some BCAAs pre-workout as my first "food" for the day.

-offense74

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:39 pm 
Elephant

I posted the abstract of that study on the top of this page (page 7) almost a month ago :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:12 pm 
Elephant

xjohanx wrote:
I posted the abstract of that study on the top of this page (page 7) almost a month ago :wink:

I didn't realize it was the same study. I forget a lot in one month. Oh well, now we have a perspective on the study from two Swedes. :D

-offense74

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:19 pm 
Elephant

Leangains.com was a good post. I was suprised it took such a long time for Martin to comment the study but hopefully he was busy writing on his book.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next