Eggs??? Decrease Activity??? IS my Naturopath NUTS?!

Shelby

Hey!!!

I need ur opinion on something: I just came back from seeing a naturopathic dr due to my digestive problems and he suggested that I cut back on my activity (he said that the amt of activity I am doing is causing a lot of lactic acid in my body that is causing the digestive problems. He suggested doing Messner's workouts---2x/week, 1 body part to failure. IDK if i can live on that little activity!)He also suggested that I cut back (if not cut out) the soy and instead eat eggs! YIKES! I've been a vegan since I was 12.... it's not only my identity, but also a big part of my morals. However, I can see his stance on the egg thing. Whats ur opinion? Are range-free cruelty-free? what about the activity level?

HELP!!!

Would the antioxidants from fruit/berries help get rid of the lactic acid or whatever it is? I've found that I get this overheated feeling from hard/long workouts that drinking fruit smoothies with blueberries seems to get rid of much faster.

I don't eat soy more than once every few weeks and don't eat eggs either. I don't understand why you would need to eat one or the other. Is it some protein thing? If so, then he's just wrong as there's plenty of protein to be found elsewhere that is still vegan.

What do u suggest I do for the protein? I rely so heavily on soy and I dont have much time to cook. Beans are difficult for me to digest as well and nuts/seeds dont have THAT much protein (and I get more than enough fat in my diet). thanks!

Well, there's lots of different possibilities. What I have been doing a lot lately is I make a big stew with 3 cans of french cut green beans, 2 cans of peas, a jar of prego, some green onions, some pasta, and some olive oil. That's like 70 grams of protein that usually takes me 2 or 3 days to eat. Also then I'll have maybe an average of 3 pieces of oven toasted bread with nut butter and that's like an average of 15 grams of protein at least each day. Then some fruit smoothies which I assume have virtually no protein. Maybe a green smoothie which probably has some but not too much.

Anyway just that is enough protein for me and I'm over 200 pounds and pretty muscular.

Hey!!!

I need ur opinion on something: I just came back from seeing a naturopathic dr due to my digestive problems and he suggested that I cut back on my activity (he said that the amt of activity I am doing is causing a lot of lactic acid in my body that is causing the digestive problems. He suggested doing Messner's workouts---2x/week, 1 body part to failure. IDK if i can live on that little activity!)He also suggested that I cut back (if not cut out) the soy and instead eat eggs! YIKES! I've been a vegan since I was 12.... it's not only my identity, but also a big part of my morals. However, I can see his stance on the egg thing. Whats ur opinion? Are range-free cruelty-free? what about the activity level?

HELP!!!

I am no expert but I would also questioning his recommendation. Is this a new Naturopathic DR for you ?

First reducing exercise may not be the answer for the digestive issues. If you do some research on Lactic Acid you will find it is an important AID in digestion ...and also when you train the lactic acid is created in the muscle (isn't it..?) and not in the digestive system. I think this is more complicated than can be covered here.

I would keep the exercise in. Add the rebounder to you routine if you can afford to get one. I love the rebounder, great for the problem you state.

I know that Soy binds me up, my husband too. Infact we have eliminated it from our diet. Fermented Tempah may be a good option for you as it is easier to digest.

Also add some Kale, Spinach deep greens to the diet. Put them in a Juicer (or Smoothies too) to get the high concentration of Protein. I juice a large head and drink it. I could never eat that much Kale cooked or in a salad. Also can make soups cold in your food processer from spinach, brocoli, arugula to boost plant protein.

Nutribionic makes a great Rice Protein, low carb and fat, hi protein...and it is low heat processed.

Don't eat eggs, I don't understand where the logic is there. If soy is causing a problem, this can be found out by eating less or removing it entirely to see how you feel without it. Sometimes soy does interfere with me. But you don't need to replace it with eggs... why can't you eat, uhmm like whatever else :P like nuts, oats, rice, pasta... maybe not the greatest things in the world, but at least they aren't eggs

I can see cutting back on soy, or even cutting it out, but telling you to eat eggs is, IMO, completely unnecessary. He probably is looking for an easily digestible source of protein, and eggs are often considered to be such. My acupuncturist/chinese medicine doctor usually recommends that patients eat 2-3 eggs in the morning, to get a good source of protein to help in healing. He knew I was a vegan, and iinseted left it up to me to find a good protein source (I started with Vegan Complete, a pea/rice blend, but now believe that hemp protein is a better choice, because it is more easily assimilated by the body).

As for decreasiing activity, you could fiind an alternative. Check out Brenda Brazier's "Trrive," where he talks about nutrients that support the adrenals (which are overworked with excessive stress-emotional, physical or mental), such as maca.

Also, eating more raw foods, especially alkalinizimg veggies and algaes like chlorella and spirulina, can help counteract acidity.

I rely so heavily on soy and I dont have much time to cook. Beans are difficult for me to digest as well and nuts/seeds dont have THAT much protein (and I get more than enough fat in my diet). thanks!

All the more reason to limit or avoid soy. I found that the digestive disturbances I was experiencing for a while decreased substatially when I changed from soy protein (especially avoiding isolates and concentrates) to pea/rice proteins.

Tempeh and soy yogurt and miso are more easily digested forms of soy, but definitely avoid the isolates/concentrates (in protein powders, in meat analogs,e tc.) and see if that helps.

IMO, there is no reason you have to compromise your ethics for your health, you just may have to delve into less-well-known foods.

Yeah, I recommend hemp as well. It's supposed to be an easily digested protein. I make smoothies with rice milk, frozen banana, another fruit, hemp powder, and a little flax. I have that for breakfast on workdays.

Here are the stats on my smoothie (this one with blueberry as the second fruit, but I switch it around).

Calories: 305

Fat: 6g

Carbs: 48g

Fiber: 12g

Protein: 17g

Percent of calories fat/carb/protein: 18/60/22

It also has EFAs and vitamins and minerals. And it's soy free.

I agree with RawFigure and Formicalinoleum, on the hemp protein powder and also the greens. Too much soy isn't beneficial anyway.

The free-range egg thing is a marketing gimmick and feeds into people's desire to consume them guilt free. Sadly it works.

So don't do it, shelby!

Hey!!!

HELP!!!

he what? told you to chill on the activity level? sounds like he's smoking some crack. I've done the egg thing off and on, currently strictly vegan tho, so i won't give you advice on that one way or the other - that's up to you, you'll still be my friend! as others have said, hemp is good but i would try rice protein if i were you. it is well tolerated by people with allergies or food sensitivites. you can find it concentrated to 80% protein - that's the good stuff. and don't be afraid to get more good fats in your diet either.

Oooo... Ask the doctor how much protein they think you need. How protein do you think you need? Then you can calculate it and see how much you are getting from various places. You don't necessarily need a 'protein source food', you can get smaller amounts of protein from a variety of places and it can be enough.

Wow, thanks for all the GREAT advice!!!! I'm Definitely NOT doing eggs... not only does his logic not make sense, but I'd rather have my health be compromised than thousands of chickens! Plus, Eggs are not the cure-all... so yeah, no eggs.

I AM cutting out the soy. I think I overdid it and relied too heavily on it due to the Gluten-allergy. My body now probably has developed an intolerance to it. Grrr

I plan to juice a lot, eat more nuts/seeds/legumes and try Hemp or Pea protein. Where do u find Pea Protein? I can usually only find it mix into a Soy-based powder. Any brands of Hemp or Pea Powders that u recommend?

As for my workouts, I am cutting back a bit b/c I think I was overtraining and not letting my muscles recover. I'm going to try to do 1 hour of heavy lifting, working only one major body part per workout. For example: Mon=Back, Tues=Shoulders/Abs, Wed=Chest, Thurs=Legs, and Fri=Bi's/Tri's. I just hope this isn't too much time inbetween workouts for a particular body group because I know that u can't let them recover too much or else they won't be challenged enough to grow.

Any thoughts? Thanks again guys!!!!!

heres a link http://shop.1asecure.com/prod.cfm?ProdID=172248&StID=3117

although you will find it here for a LOT less: http://www.pvnutrition.com/pureadvantage.html

you may be interested in this: http://store.nutribiotic.com/pgi-customlistproducts?RICE%20PROTEIN,2,16,=,rice%20prot

as for your workout...hmmm, that may be spread too thin. 5 days of lifting is quite a bit for a body to recover from, if you do an hour session and go heavy like you said. you may see better results if you train 2 or 3 days a week doing more intense full body work outs and taking the proper time to recover. if you want to do more and feel up to it, maybe do some cardio on your off days. then again, what do I know?

also keep in mind that you do need rest to grow, otherwise your hard work will be for nothing and you may even lose muscle if you work it too hard and don't get proper nutrition/protein etc. due to elevated cortisol.

You have been given some great advice Shelbs.

remember that lentils, peas, okras, etc have protein too.

What was said about free range is right on the money so dont fall for that gimmick.

I highly recommend for you, THRIVE by Brendan Brazier. You should grab a copy - it will answer all your questions.

And here is an excellent vegan health link with tons of info:

veganhealth.org (or maybe its .com).

Take care!