Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why not fish?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:39 am 
I'm a pesco-vegitarian and I often eat many foods that people would associate with being a vegitarian or a vegan such as soy ice cream, soy meat subsitutes, tofu, ect.
I learned enough about the cons of meat like pork and beef to keep me away but what about fish? I haven't heard too many anti fish arguments. If anyone can make a strong case why not to eat fish please post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:08 am 
Elephant

Other than the unethical part of it? Dolphins for example are cruelly captured from fisheries and its a sick business. Regular fish as in macro and such one reason would be, "Would you like a hook in your mouth?". If its not required for you you to live, and they suffer from it, then thats when ethics and morals come into play.

In the case of health though, a majority of fish has high concentrations of mercury and they also have dioxins. Plus we pollute the water so much, they get affected by it, then we eat it (guess thats a stab back at us!). Too much of one thing is bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Co,

I think a few others will chime in too about the Fish thing. I thought I'd extract something from Our Rap Battle in the Entertainment section that I wrote about Fish:

"I've been fishin, yeah right you be wishin that maybe it’s true, but no fishing for me, I just let them be, let them live without a hook in they mouth, don’t look at me like that, you know what I’m talking about.

It’s about freedom to swim as they spin on the edge of the rim trying to avoid the pin that’s trying to suck them in, so they won’t have a life no more, pulled out of their home and thrown on the floor, beaten over the head with a 2X4."

That's a pretty good reason to avoid them I think.........but commercially it won't be a hook, but a large net that extracts thousands of fish and sea animals at a time and takes them from their home..........and then eventually they will be beat to death or just sliced open to death.

But you are looking at it from a "health food" standpoint. I would assume that fish is not quite as unhealthy as "most" other meats, but it's still a meat product and still has potential to cause health concerns when eating it, some of which my man Kollision mentioned above.

Have a good one man, good times yesterday at the graduation!

We'll find a card game next time.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:35 pm 
Gorilla

Fish have a CNS (central nervous system) similar to humans, so just like us they feel pain (you may not hear them, cause they dont have vocal chords), but they definately feel pain and stress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:03 pm 
Elephant

Good rap rob :D

Topher, thanks for the explanation.

Post subject: and?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:40 am 
Im a cold hearted bastard. Im going to need a more persuasive argument to get me to give up fish. I mean I eat veggie meat even if I drop it on the sidewalk.... I just have to blow on it or wipe in on my pant leg. And the fishes pain, well respect to anyone who actually respects all creatures pain but hopefully you arent the same guys squishing spiders with your shoes when your lady gets scared because then my friends you would be called a hypocrite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:41 am 
Elephant

I dont. I put them on a paper and move them.

BTW why are you hostile? You asked a question and it was answered. No need bringing that attitude around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:53 am 
Elephant

Co,

You ever seen the pictures of fish in nets that have just been lifted out of the sea? The pics with their eyes bulging/popped out their heads? I think coz of the rise in pressure when the nets are raised. That or maybe because of suffocation.

Ever seen a squid/octopus being repeatedly pummelled against the ground whilst still alive?

Ever seen a lobster ( not strictly a fish I know ) being boiled alive?

Why don't you try some shark fin? Nice how the fins are cut off the shark whilst it is still alive. Then the shark is dropped back in the ocean whilst still alive, to die a painful death on the sea floor.

How about all the fish that are caught in nets that aren't required by commercial fishermen and are just thrown back dead in the oceans? Nets don't just catch cod for example, they'll catch other fish that happen to be in the area as well.

Fish sticks are on the verge of collapse in som eof the worlds oceans because of other fishing.

What about the damage commercial trawling does to the ocean floor and the aquatic eco-system?

Commercial fish farms use high amounts of chemicals that are neither good for you, the fish or the environment. Fish from farms also escape and breed with wild fish, thus damaging the gene pool and selection of wild fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:10 am 
Rabbit

Tarz wrote:
Co,

You ever seen the pictures of fish in nets that have just been lifted out of the sea? The pics with their eyes bulging/popped out their heads? I think coz of the rise in pressure when the nets are raised. That or maybe because of suffocation.

Ever seen a squid/octopus being repeatedly pummelled against the ground whilst still alive?

Ever seen a lobster ( not strictly a fish I know ) being boiled alive?

Why don't you try some shark fin? Nice how the fins are cut off the shark whilst it is still alive. Then the shark is dropped back in the ocean whilst still alive, to die a painful death on the sea floor.

How about all the fish that are caught in nets that aren't required by commercial fishermen and are just thrown back dead in the oceans? Nets don't just catch cod for example, they'll catch other fish that happen to be in the area as well.

Fish sticks are on the verge of collapse in som eof the worlds oceans because of other fishing.

What about the damage commercial trawling does to the ocean floor and the aquatic eco-system?

Commercial fish farms use high amounts of chemicals that are neither good for you, the fish or the environment. Fish from farms also escape and breed with wild fish, thus damaging the gene pool and selection of wild fish.

I did not know about the shark fin thing. that sucks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:48 am 
Elephant

http://www.fishinghurts.com/

http://www.fishinghurts.com/feat-bowfis ... lert_enews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:01 pm 
Elephant

All Tarz said is sad but true.

Post subject: fish
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:21 pm 
Elephant

Co what sort of argument do you want? It seems you don't eat meat for health reasons, from all of the poisons that bioaccumulate in fish do you really want to eat them? Do you eat cheese and drink milk? If so then, Why? Or am I wrong and you don't eat meat for ethical reasons?

Post subject: Mercury
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:40 pm 
Rabbit

This may have been brought up in another post. But this incident deems a look at.
Some years ago I was teaching at a high school in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Nice little place, about 500 kids. Can't beat that. Better than the schools in the Central Valley with 2000-5000 kids.
Anyway the librarian there was a very interesting lady who was into health issues. She told me that a few years previous to our knowing each other she went on a tuna eating fest. It was low fat, and lots-o-protein.
After a few months she began getting sick. Flus, colds, chills, aches, pains, joint pain, etc. She went to her doctor who decided she had some immune system issues. He had her record everything she ate. When she showed him the list, and he saw the tuna, apaprently he about pooped. He then tested her for mercury poisoning, and it was determined that is what she had.
I relayed this story once before to a different forum of people who were opening, and eating, those five pound industrial cans of tuna a week. At that time I was told I was a dumb mo&^er f%c^%er. However, research continues to indicate that cold water oceanic fish carry a high amount of mercury in their system.

Jon

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:34 pm 
Hey, im not hostile, maybe my humor doesn't always translate through typed words.
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.

-CO

Post subject: Re: thanks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:11 pm 
Elephant

Co wrote:
Hey, im not hostile, maybe my humor doesn't always translate through typed words.
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.

-CO

Oo ok mate thanks for the clarification.