CLIF BARS!

kollision

There was a thread on them awhile back, but for the new guys here, YOU SHOULD TRY IT!

I thought that the CLIF Bars were only the "Crunchy Peanut Butter", "Black Almond" and "Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch".

I just bought the "Cookies 'N Cream" and boy is it good! Ya'll should try it out.

BTW, just needed to ask, but is all CLIF products Vegan? Is Gary himself vegan? I also admire the fact that he uses 100% recycled paper for the boxing as well as organic ingredients.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Sinister, they do!

I haven't tasted Cookies N' Cream in such a long time...I don't even know if there are vegan ice cream with that flavor, but this one that I bought today brought back memories...set me back $19 dollars, but it is really good.

Costco sells a lot more in the box for way cheaper, but they only have the first three that I mentioned.

Clif Bars are vegan. Some of them used to contain dairy products, like ones with frosting and 'yogurt' chips, but they were changed to vegan several years ago. I'm not sure if the producer (who is Clif's son---naming the bars after his dad) is vegan or even vegetarian, or if he just wanted to open the market to more people.

Clif and Luna bars are good, but pretty high in carbs, IMO.

Where I live, a box of 12 Clif bars is about $10.88 or something like that.

We can find them for $.79 per bar or their "usual" price at one store for $.88 per bar.

They are cheap where I live! I remember having to pay $1.50-$1.79 per bar in other places.

Odwalla bars are the same here....always $.88-$.99 per bar at certain stores.

I've consumed more Clif and Odwalla bars over the past 10 years than I could ever count. There were months, if not years, when I ate 5-7 bars a day. Nearly $2000 calories a day just from those things!

These days, I don't eat as many and I eat more Vega bars, but my total bar consumption is only 2-3 a day. Some days I don't eat any.

But yeah, Clif makes some nice bars

-Rob

Thanks Kathryn, sinisterkungfu, and Rob.

Hey Rob, thats a pretty cheap price! Do they have the Cookies N Cream there too? I love this flavour! I could eat a whole box! Do they do mail orders?

And I believe it was after his dog as well. I read the box that Costco sold me awhile back and it talked about his dog.

West2100, I bought them at Smart and Final.

Hey Kollision, I get them at that price at grocery stores near my apartment.

I could grab a bunch for you and send them. Of course by time they were shipped, the cost might be the same per bar due to the weight of a couple of boxes.

I would check around your area, some places have sales and they can be pretty cheap for a week or two. That is the time to stock up

At one time, I think I may have been the world's #1 Clif bar consumer. That was when I was taking in nearly 7 each day. If not #1, I bet I was pretty high up there.

Topher and I are fans of the Builder Bars too I think Michael Hobson fancys them too. I just said fancy writing about Clif Bars Yeah, I know....I'm cool.

Clif

Odwalla

Vega

Lara

and other vegan bars. Check em out, good stuff!

-Robert

I've been finding them at health food stores MUCH cheaper than supermarkets and big discount stores. Usually 79-99 cents each. Trader Joe's always has them cheap. I'm so happy they all went vegan.

Also read a story in a business magazine a few months ago that they were approached by some big company that was going to infuse them with cash to "sell out", and they declined to stay true to their original mission. Gotta respect that, and I'm supporting them because of that, too.

I used to enjoy Clif bars until I discovered the far more satisfying (though certainly more expensive Lara bars). What I like about these is that they are vegan, raw and have minimal ingredients. Clif bars now taste like candy bars and in a sense, that's not far off since they re-formulated the product about 18 months ago. Odwalla would be my next choice after Lara of those that are readily commercially available.

I used to enjoy Clif bars until I discovered the far more satisfying (though certainly more expensive Lara bars). What I like about these is that they are vegan, raw and have minimal ingredients. Clif bars now taste like candy bars and in a sense, that's not far off since they re-formulated the product about 18 months ago. Odwalla would be my next choice after Lara of those that are readily commercially available.

Lara bars are pretty damn good, but they're $1.60 each and not very filling.

Lara bars are pretty damn good, but they're $1.60 each and not very filling.

I purchase them at my local Kroger market for around 35 cents more than the Clif bars sell for. Considering that Clif bars are around 1/3 sugar in its various guises, I consider that to be a good trade-off.

I'm not sure if the producer (who is Clif's son---naming the bars after his dad) is vegan or even vegetarian, or if he just wanted to open the market to more people.

According to the story on the package, Clif is/was his dog.

I thought I read it was his father? Different story? Was his father a dog? Were they both named Clif? Was I hallucinating?

I'm not sure if the producer (who is Clif's son---naming the bars after his dad) is vegan or even vegetarian, or if he just wanted to open the market to more people.

According to the story on the package, Clif is/was his dog.

I thought I read it was his father? Different story? Was his father a dog? Were they both named Clif? Was I hallucinating?

Maybe he named the dog after his father.

HOLY! College, that is a sweet deal man!

BTW, whats wrong with Coca-Cola? I know Pepsi is bad, but why them?

I don't know of anything specific that one might hold against Coke, but I believe the general point is supporting small, independent businesses vs. huge corporations that practically rule the world.

Wow, that is a really good deal! I will have to agree that they do have a lot of sugar and are kinda like a candy bar. But they are indeed very good.

Yeah, I know Odwalla was bought out by Coke. There is a thread somewhere with all the former vegan companies that have been bought out. I think the majority opinion on the thread was that is wasn't so bad because those big companies were able to promote the product more effectively, such as the dairy companies promoting Silk soymilk.

But anyway, there are some great vegan bars out there and I guess it look like bulk online orders may be the way to go.

-Robert

Odwalla is owned by Coca Cola....for those of you not supporting big corporations.

Thanks for reminding me about that. I read this in a recent issue of VegNews, in an article showcasing major corporations owning what were once small independants. I don't drink soft drinks due to the fact that they are an MNV (minimal nutritional value) food. Besides, I can't stand the corporation, anyway. So actually, I am boycotting Odwalla, in addition to Light Life and Silk. As to the latter, I make my own soymilk anyway, for around 48 cents a gallon.

It's so easy to just give in and purchase what you are used to week in, week out. Being conscientious about your food choices means having to routinely seek out new start-up companies that have a "green/vegan" base until such time that they, in turn get "swallowed up" by the industry heavyweights. What a chore.

By the way, McDonalds now owns Chilpotle restaurants, a place I liked once for its veg friendliness. Now, I don't frequent them anymore. Given McDonalds' predilection for adding "frankenfood" flavors to their menu items, you have to wonder...