Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:13 am 
Gorilla

michael wrote:
I used to enjoy Clif bars until I discovered the far more satisfying (though certainly more expensive Lara bars). What I like about these is that they are vegan, raw and have minimal ingredients. Clif bars now taste like candy bars and in a sense, that's not far off since they re-formulated the product about 18 months ago. Odwalla would be my next choice after Lara of those that are readily commercially available.

Lara bars are pretty damn good, but they're $1.60 each and not very filling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:28 am 
Rabbit

Quote:
Lara bars are pretty damn good, but they're $1.60 each and not very filling.

I purchase them at my local Kroger market for around 35 cents more than the Clif bars sell for. Considering that Clif bars are around 1/3 sugar in its various guises, I consider that to be a good trade-off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:07 pm 
Elephant

I LOVE Larabars!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:08 pm 
Elephant

sinisterkungfu wrote:
Kathryn wrote:
I'm not sure if the producer (who is Clif's son---naming the bars after his dad) is vegan or even vegetarian, or if he just wanted to open the market to more people.

According to the story on the package, Clif is/was his dog. :?

I thought I read it was his father? Different story? Was his father a dog? Were they both named Clif? Was I hallucinating?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:21 pm 
Gorilla

Kathryn wrote:
sinisterkungfu wrote:
Kathryn wrote:
I'm not sure if the producer (who is Clif's son---naming the bars after his dad) is vegan or even vegetarian, or if he just wanted to open the market to more people.

According to the story on the package, Clif is/was his dog. :?

I thought I read it was his father? Different story? Was his father a dog? Were they both named Clif? Was I hallucinating?

Maybe he named the dog after his father. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:02 pm 
Elephant

Odwalla is owned by Coca Cola....for those of you not supporting big corporations. Try buying bulk clif bars on ebay. I got a case of 144 for $40 (all cookies and cream). yeah it's a lot of sugar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:29 pm 
Elephant

HOLY! College, that is a sweet deal man!

BTW, whats wrong with Coca-Cola? I know Pepsi is bad, but why them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:13 am 
Gorilla

kollision wrote:
HOLY! College, that is a sweet deal man!

BTW, whats wrong with Coca-Cola? I know Pepsi is bad, but why them?

I don't know of anything specific that one might hold against Coke, but I believe the general point is supporting small, independent businesses vs. huge corporations that practically rule the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:32 am 
Site Admin

Wow, that is a really good deal! I will have to agree that they do have a lot of sugar and are kinda like a candy bar. But they are indeed very good.

Yeah, I know Odwalla was bought out by Coke. There is a thread somewhere with all the former vegan companies that have been bought out. I think the majority opinion on the thread was that is wasn't so bad because those big companies were able to promote the product more effectively, such as the dairy companies promoting Silk soymilk.

But anyway, there are some great vegan bars out there and I guess it look like bulk online orders may be the way to go.

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:41 am 
Rabbit

Quote:
Odwalla is owned by Coca Cola....for those of you not supporting big corporations.

Thanks for reminding me about that. I read this in a recent issue of VegNews, in an article showcasing major corporations owning what were once small independants. I don't drink soft drinks due to the fact that they are an MNV (minimal nutritional value) food. Besides, I can't stand the corporation, anyway. So actually, I am boycotting Odwalla, in addition to Light Life and Silk. As to the latter, I make my own soymilk anyway, for around 48 cents a gallon.

It's so easy to just give in and purchase what you are used to week in, week out. Being conscientious about your food choices means having to routinely seek out new start-up companies that have a "green/vegan" base until such time that they, in turn get "swallowed up" by the industry heavyweights. What a chore.

By the way, McDonalds now owns Chilpotle restaurants, a place I liked once for its veg friendliness. Now, I don't frequent them anymore. Given McDonalds' predilection for adding "frankenfood" flavors to their menu items, you have to wonder...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:59 am 
Manatee

among many reasons (including environmental) that i think it's a good idea to boycott coke:

- they have been linked to the murder of union leaders in Colombia, South America:
http://www.killercoke.org/

- they've caused problems with water pollution and taken over water supplies in India.
http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=7508

back to the original thread...

i love clif bars, luna bars, etc! they are a bit on the sweet side, i often think of them as dessert. i really like the builder bars, too.

they're expensive in DC, $1.39 for clif bars and $1.99 for builder.

i like the lara bars, too. but they're $1.99 or more.

kollision wrote:
I haven't tasted Cookies N' Cream in such a long time...I don't even know if there are vegan ice cream with that flavor

http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/purely_decadent_cookie_avalanche.html

www.funkdc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:31 pm 
Rabbit

I personally am a real big fan of that cookies n cream purely decadent.... It hits the spot just right for when I need a real treat. Clif Bars are good too, I like the Carrot cake flavor. In general now I'm trying to eat more RAW though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:59 pm 
Manatee

oh yeah, my favorite clif bar flavors are carrot cake, apricot, lemon poppy seed, and cranberry apple cherry.

www.funkdc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:38 pm 
Rabbit

It's times like this that I really miss the States!! I can't get CLIF or LUNA bars or anything like that down here in Cayman. Oh and I do miss them!!!

I can order them online, but it takes about 2 months to get anything sent down here and then I have to pay duty on them on top of it!! Plus they give you a really hard time if you try to bring "outside food" into the country!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:01 pm 
Manatee

I saw this today. It would be cheaper and likely more healthful:

3 cups grapenuts (Ill probably try a different cereal.)
1 cup low fat soymilk
1 cup nonsweetened applesauce
1 cup raisins(we used dried cranberries instead)
2 tsps vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients together. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place in a nonstick 9 x 9 baking pan. Cook for 35 minutes.

You could add hemp protein powder etc. and nuts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next