Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Soy protein question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:31 pm 
Rabbit

I've been told that soy is not good to eat if you have endometriosis--which I have been diagnosed with--

Does anyone here have any sources or info about this? No regular medical doctor seems capable of giving me any sound advice about the affects of soy on this health problem.

Here's another question: If in fact soy is detrimental to endometriosis and I won't be able to eat it in large quantities (2-3 servings a day or more to supplament my lifting), what is the next best source of vegetable protein. I know there's rice and pea protein, however, I've not seen a powdered form of either here in Cayman (I may have to look a bit harder). Other than beans and nuts...which I can only eat so much of during the day...what else can I supplament with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:14 pm 
Elephant

Another vegan protein source is seitan, which incidentally is really good :essen: . Also, here's a link to a list of vegan protein sources.

I don't know much about endometriosis, but found this article from a woman that says that being vegan helped her with her endometreosis. She was following the McDougall plan.

Also, here are other links that promote eating soy, because of its isoflavones are said to help with endometriosis. This is the first link and this is the 2nd link.

I did find a Q&A with a Dr. Irene, who says there's not really any information either way. I wouldn't gamble with my health, but given the previous 3 articles, I would double check with the original source and where he/she got their information.

Hope these help.

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:12 pm 
Rabbit

Wow thanks for the info. That helped a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:44 pm 
Elephant

I suspect, but I am not sure, that soy protein isolates and concentrates may have detrimental effects that soy foods may not. That's why I avoid the former (and I limit the later, eating some tempeh and tofu and black soy beans and drinking some soy milk, but not as much as before, and not daily---I find it helps my digestion as well!)

I think the key is whole (or almost whole, in the case of tofu and soy milk) soy foods vs. isolates.

There have been studies of other substances, like stevia, that show detrimental effects of isolating one component of the substance vs. neutral or, more often, beneficial effects of using the substance in its whole form, as nature intended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:30 pm 
Elephant

Fermented Soy products (such as Tempeh) are generally the ones that people allergic to soy can eat, since it is fermented and a lot of the agents that cause the allergy are out of it. Still, best bet would be to talk to your doctor/dietician about this issue.