Getting Lean

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

9nines
Manatee

#31 Postby 9nines » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:48 am

AdrienneP wrote:
9nines wrote:Can you really maintain energy and your physique at 1700 calories?

Right now, yes. I am trying to cut a little body fat (as I said - this whole debate stemmed from my advice on how to lose), so I am maintaining a calorie deficit. When I am not doing this, I maintain at around 2000 calories a day. Actually, I eat 1700 calories about 5 days a week and then another 2 days I bump it up to around 2100 calories. This keeps my metabolism from dropping.

Trust me, I am not currently working out that hard. I lift heavy.. about 3 days a week and I do a little cardio sprinkled in (maybe an additional 60 minutes a week). I sit on my butt all day at work. :)

~ Adrienne

You seem to analyze your diet, maybe you can help me. Something that would help me very much: how does one determine his caloric needs?

My hunger is satisfied at around 2200 to 2400 calories a day but I make myself eat more to get an extra 300-700 calories a day.

I have body fat (I have not had it tested in a while but my guess is my body fat percentage is 12 to 14% ), so I am wondering if I really need to add the extra calories (again I do not eat the extra to satisfy hunger; it is merely to add more calories thinking my activity level needs it.)

I am really wondering now because I have had good muscle growth the last two months, as I have increased the intensity of my weigh lifting but my total weight has not change much. Shirts etc. fit tighter, I can tell my muscles are larger but I only weight about 1 to 2 pounds more than I did two months ago and my body fat does not seem to have change (although I guess it had to go down, if I maintain weight with muscle growth.)

Is it just experimenting, or are there any good methods to determine your optimal caloric needs?

AdrienneP
Rabbit

#32 Postby AdrienneP » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:50 am

9nines wrote:Is it just experimenting, or are there any good methods to determine your optimal caloric needs?

Oops, sorry I am so late on this!!

I really only analyze my diet when I want to reach a particular goal. I have a good handle on my caloric needs from experimenting, dieting for comps and I have a metabolic test done every now and again. I had one done last year and it was 2250. It is important to me to make sure my body is getting what it needs.

I don't generally advocate using cookie-cutter formulas, but this one seems to be pretty close for me. Usually, the formulas have me eating around 1500 calories a day, which would never fly!! This puts my BMR at or near 2250, which jives with the last test I had.

BMR = bodyweight in kgs x activity level x lean factor multiplier (in bold below) x 24 hours

Activity Level: 130% is very light activity: sitting, studying, talking, little walking. 155% is light activity; typing, teaching, lab/shop work, some walking throughout the day. 165% is moderate activity: walking, jogging, gardening, active job, training 1 to 2 hours per day. 200% is heavy activity level: manual labor such as digging, tree felling, construction work, and sports activities between 2 and 3 hours. 230% is very heavy activity: a combination of moderate and heavy activity 8 or more hours per day, plus sports activities 2 to 4 hours per day.

Lean Factor:
Description Lean Factor
Percent Body Fat Levels Multiplier
1 "Lean" Men 10% to <14% – Women 14% to <18% 100%(1.0)
2 "Normal" Men 14% to <20% – Women 18% to <28% 95%(0.95)
3 "Clinically Obese" Men 20% to 28% – Women 28% to 38% 90%(0.90)
4 "Chronically Obese" Men over 28% – Women over 38% 85%(0.85)

Everyone is different, so this is just a guideline. You may need more or less.

~ Adrienne
------------------------------
Adrienne Priebe, CFT
MPS Fitness Training
http://www.yoadrienne.com

AdrienneP
Rabbit

#33 Postby AdrienneP » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:54 am

I also wanted to mention that I just had a blood panel run (for insurance purposes) and all my levels are within normal limits. The tests included protein, nitrogen, creatinine.. among other things. I am definitely NOT eating too much protein. I'm right smack in the middle of the acceptable ranges.

~ Adrienne
------------------------------

Adrienne Priebe, CFT

MPS Fitness Training

http://www.yoadrienne.com

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”