Losing Weight

Any tips for losing weight? I have a tendency to overeat and it's killing me. I used to be 140 pounds and now I'm 163! It's really making me unhappy. My plan is to eat about 1000 calories defficient every day spread out over three meals (which means I'm hungry for about an hour before I eat each meal; my metabolism is slow). I wouldn't be packing all my calories into those meals, instead I would be eating normal meals that often every day.

For example:

Oatmeal for breakfast (no addition, no sugar, just oatmeal) 170 calories

Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich on sprouted wheat bread 300 calories

Rice, Beans & Corn on a plate, plain without any additions 280 calories

I know many people would recommend against eating 750 calories in a day, but it's really individual. The main thing is not to get really really really hungry too often because that will greatly slow down your metabolism. I mean, when I was 180 pounds eating whatever I was consuming maybe 3000 calories a day, and then on my diet I was only eating about 1500 calories a day and after a few days my metabolism slowed down (maybe to 2200 calories burned a day) but I was still losing about 2-3 pounds a week and that was fine. Also your metabolism is boosted by excercize, so you can run for 10-20 minutes if you're hungry instead of snacking to keep your metabolism up.

Sorry for going on about this. I try to eat healthy. I don't eat junk food, just good food. I try to eat whole foods too. But yeah, I can't stay on track. I don't know why, and it kills me. I overeat. If I do fine for 2 days and have a total of 1500 calories defficient I may overeat the next day and consume 2500 excess calories. It's ing, I know! I hate it! And that always happens when I snack. I have a little snack and I worry about it, and because I worry I eat to run away. It's really stupid. But I can control it with three meals a day. I'm looking for some assurance. My doctor said it was fine last time I talked to him, I just want some other support.

Thanks!

-Dylan

Dylan, I think you'll get lots of suggestions & I look forward to reading what others have to say.

Personally, I need to snack all day. If I let myself get too hungry, I will gorge when I finally sit down to eat. I keep my meals small & snack in between -- just like mom told us all not to do! Here's a typical day:

7:00am - coffee w/small handful of dried fruit

7:30am - workout

9:00am - tofu scramble w/ 2 slices of tempeh bacon

11:00am - fiber drink

1:00pm - Spanish rice, refried beans, a handful of Guiltless Gormet corn chips w/salsa

3:30pm - celery sticks with tad bit of hummus spread in them

6:00pm - baked yam, broccoli, corn

9:30pm - apple

Apples are supposed to be really good for your digestion, especially if eaten alone. I find them a nice before-bed-treat.

Recently I read that we need to be mentally flexible with our diet. When you think in terms of "I'm on a diet", if you slip up -- & you will -- it's easy to fall into thinking, "Oh heck, I blew it, I may as well have the rest of those cookies." Instead, we should see our weight loss as a journey with varied terrain. It can be narrow when you are feeling focused & wider when you need to relax your efforts a bit.

I've lost 15 pounds in the last 2 months on a 1500 calorie a day nutrition pattern and I'm 5'1'', and i started at 125 pounds. There is no need to starve your body... all you're doing is depriving yourself of needed energy sources, and you'll just get flabby. working out will be miserable too. You also plateau faster too when you go on a diet that is too low in calories.

I have lost a good 25-30 pounds since the summer just by eating better and not stuffing myself.

I fasted for 4 days before at the start of my weight loss and that shrank my stomach and helped me get on the right path.

I did not watch my calories or anthing (I should have) I just new what to eat and what not to eat.

It's really pretty simple as long as you stay focused.