Brain Fog Next Day After Workout

Hello,

I'm a 28 year old male, and I suffer from bad brain fog during recovery after a workout. Yesterday I worked out fairly hard for about an hour. I did:

1. Dips

2. Skull crushers

3. Cable pull downs

4. Chest flys

5. Crunches

6. Reverse grip dips (a special one my trainer friend showed me)

I usually do 8x8 sets with a low to medium weight. I usually lift till I just can't do another one, or I stop myself so I don't overexert.

That day I ate:

1. Vegetable stir fry

2. Half cup almonds.

3. Shake (3 bananas 2 scoops protein (nitro fusion pro) and strawberries.

4. Two veggie burger patties with bread and ketchup.

5. A few snacks throughout the day

6. Supplements (omega 3, d3, multi, magnesium)

I've been staying well hydrated with super clean electron water. I slept well last night... nice and deep. It had been a week since my last workout.

Today I've been miserable with brain fog. It's hard to concentrate. I did a little cardio which seemed to help some, but it's been difficult to focus as normal.

I know it's the workout that triggers it but what is the cause? Too much time since my last workout? Not enough food? Working out too hard?

I know some of you pros must run into this and must have some good ideas about how to overcome it. I feel like the recovery aspect of my workout is all that's keeping me from truly making large gains. And I'm not gonna juice! lol

Thank You

Note: A friend of mine blamed my diet for the problem, but I had this problem also when I was eating animals. I don't think it's because I lack complex animal proteins. The supplement I take has rice protein, artichoke, and pea.

I have never heard of anything like this.

Go to a doctor. Get your B-12, among other things, tested. It seems to me that one of two things is going on. Either you have some sort of medical/health issue going on, or it's psychological. By psychological, I mean that maybe you're expecting it to happen, so you freak out about it subconsciously or consciously, which starts making you feel like it's hard to concentrate, which makes you more worried it's happening again, and so on. That, or as I said, a health issue you should have checked out.

Seeing "brain fog" and "electron water" in the same post makes me lean more toward thinking the issue is psychological, but it would still behoove you to see a doctor.

Yeah, this is true. Tap water is delicious and healthy in most of the developed world and electron water is a scam anywhere.

I agree. And I don't mean to offend osmosys by saying "it's probably in your head", but many people can have powerful physical and mental manifestations of psychological processes. If you are the type of person who genuinely feels more energized/cleansed/whatever when they know they are drinking electron water, you are probably the type of person who can produce other genuine physical symptoms stemming from thought processes (i.e. somatoform disorders).

I would absolutely go to a doctor to rule out organic causes. Other than that, it would just be a matter of finding something you could believe will help (caffeine, high sugar organic fruit, energized crystals, preferably something inexpensive), and I'd put money down on it working to lift the fog.

A complaint like "brain fog" is a homeopath/naturopath's wet dream. They can give you a glass of "vibrationally imprinted" water or grind up some "carefully selected" herbs, and BAM! You're cured. For only $299.

I've had "brain fog" a few times. It usually happens if my workout was too intense and I didn't eat enough calories that day. Try eating more and see what happens.. But yeah, like everyone posted above, I'd see your doctor first and foremost.

I've had "brain fog" a few times. It usually happens if my workout was too intense and I didn't eat enough calories that day. Try eating more and see what happens.. But yeah, like everyone posted above, I'd see your doctor first and foremost.

Was it the same day, or the next day though? Same day, I agree, I've driven myself into hypoglycemia for a bit, but I've never heard of being mentally off for the day after the workout.

• 7 years later...

This happens to me too. I'm vegan and diabetic.

Today I've got a major brain fog. But then again, I hit the gym heavy, doing max lifts, for 3 days. My glutes and quads ache, my chest aches, my feet ache, and my back and arms are tired.

I was talking to another vegan at the gym and he said he hated to do legs because it makes you tired the next day. I agree. If I do heavy legs, if I feel any leg ache at all the next day, I feel like I only got 4 hours of sleep.

I think if your body feels tired and/or in pain, its only natural to feel kind of out-of-it mentally.