Your Local Produce Stand

We have two produce stands in our town and the wife an I love going there. The first reason is the food is _at least_ 50% cheaper than what you'd get at a grocery store, that's an obvious advantage. But another nice thing is that the fruits and veggies aren't "grocery store perfect". You know when you're in food lion, and every apple is covered in shiny wax, and there's not any imperfections in the peel? Well its not that way at the produce stand. Some of the apples have small cuts or tiny bruises or show signs the there might have been, at one time, a real insect on the surface of it. I don't know if that sounds gross, but I mean that the apples (and other stuff), looks natural. I'd probably rather eat an insect than eat insect killing poison, I guess.

Anyway, the place is like an old general store with wood floors, and no frills whatsoever. Its like reconnecting with a part of the past, getting great fruits and veggies, and saving a pile of money doing it. If you still get all your produce from the ultra-sterile supermarket, I'd encourage you to find a "mom and pop" produce stand in your area. They don't look like much, but its a great way to save some money and get some good food.

I read studies (sorry none to link - you can search Yahoo news or Google news for organic and nutrients and find some) that show that insects and competing plants cause vegetables and fruit to be more nutritious.

Some of the phyto-nutrients and micro-nutrients are developed and increase in amount in response to the plant protecting itself from insects and weeds. Some plants create smell (the smell is nutrients) that attracts predators that will kill the insects. Colors changes (nutrients) to fool the insects.

In these studies organic produce exposed to these "wilds" have much more nutrients than comparable produce grown conventionally.

I never heard about Food Lion until I went to North Carolina for the first time and for some reason, that name for a grocery store just cracked me up. Then again, when my friends come down here, they think it's weird for me to say that I'm going to run over to H-E-B. But H-E-B is getting big, as far as grocery stores go, I love it. They even produce their own organics line. One day they may expand outside of Texas.