testosterone

NYVegan

I was wondering if anyone here takes a Testosterone booster. I was thinking of taking one every few days to help my workouts.

I'm really not sure how everyone will react to this question. If this seems "unnatural" and bad for you, please be kind to me in your reply Or better yet! Educate me!

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

The doctors I have consulted over the years have been of the opinion that if your hormones are within normal levels, than they should be left the hell alone. Altering hormone levels, even with medical supervision can cause many problems.

One of them is that your body may stop making those hormones on its own. Your body may start making them again once you go off, but it may take months and in the meantime your health,strength etc is screwed.

Bodybuilders who take steroids often have their testicles atrophy.

Totally not worth it.

Most "testosterone booster" supplements aren't much more than overpriced hype with minimal to zero ability to actually do any real good. There was a time years ago when prohormones were actually something that COULD be beneficial for adding mass, but after numerous FDA crackdowns on "steroid-like compounds", the ones that yielded results have pretty well all disappeard. Not that they really did much since even exeprienced lifters said you might be lucky to gain 2-3 lbs. in a month with them while eating tons and training hard (I tried some back in the late 90s, didn't do much of anything for me), except of course for some of the sneaky brands that were putting "something extra" in the capsules that wasn't exactly legal....and those did come with all the bad effects that you typically didn't want.

For the most part, avoid the gimmicky supplements. Most of the "testosterone booster" stuff is expensive at $25-50 or more per bottle, and you'd be way better off spending that on some extra protein or more quality food in general. Since it's pretty debatable as to what all those wacky compounds with names such as "Somatotrophic myonucleic growth factor" and their kind actually contain, it's better to not waste the $$$ and put weird crap in you that probably doesn't do any good.

It depends what you mean by testosterone booster. Saturated fat boosts testosterone and I consider coconut oil and dark chocolate safe for most vegans to eat.

THanks for the advice and information everyone @VeganEssentials I will definetly avoid those gimmicks you talked about. @vegimator I think I will spend some time looking at some more natural ways to boost testosterone levels...especially if they involve Dark Chocolate

I guess testosterone for me = masculinity which is something I have always had to deal with a skinny, gay vegan. I just always fear that people view me as un masculine.

• 2 weeks later...
Any fruit high in lutein will boost testosterone.

I did some checking, can't find anything to verify this to be true as far as lutein having any impact on testosterone. Are you sure you're not confusing lutein with luteinizing hormone (LH)? While LH has a strong correllation to testosterone production, nowhere can I find anything to show that taking in extra lutein has any impact on LH levels, rather, sources say that taking in lutein has no impact on LH levels and therefore does not affect testosterone production.

Lutein is known to increase sperm/semen count. If that statement is true then we know that higher testosterone = higher sperm/semen count.

Though, an increase in sperm count and semen volume does not necessarily reflect a major jump in testosterone. Even reducing stress in your life can increase sperm count, but that does not mean you're spiking testosterone levels along with it (there may be a marginal increase, but increased sperm/semen volume does not always correllate to a sharp rise in testosterone levels).

Though, in the end, the increase of a fraction of a ng/dl in testosterone isn't going to suddenly mean that anyone will find they start putting on muscle rapidly. The natural "testosterone boosting" methods are fine and all for the marginal bit they can help, but when people think they'll actually achieve anything comparable to what you'd get if you even injected a small amount of testosterone into the body, they're definitely off course.

Not to say that some of the methods/foods for increasing naturally won't help at all, but to anyone expecting to see great results from it, they're likely to end up pretty disappointed.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned maca yet. The evidence for raising testosterone specifically is tenuous, but it is a powerful adaptogen, meaning that it supports the endocrine system and tends to bring hormone levels into balance. This means is you have low testosterone levels, as NYVegan seems to think he might, maca could help bring testosterone into balance.

That being said, studies aside, using maca I've experienced increases in all of the traits we traditionally associate with higher testosterone levels: increased stamina, libido, general feeling of strength.

Yes, there are natural boosters of testosterone. Tribulus Terrestris (puncture vine) works. Purely herbal. Serious results. No side effects. Not sure if the capsulating process is vegan, supposedly it should be. Another way is to pick some plants and make tea as I do:) (Well my brother did the picking).

Yes, there are natural boosters of testosterone. Tribulus Terrestris (puncture vine) works. Purely herbal. Serious results. No side effects. Not sure if the capsulating process is vegan, supposedly it should be. Another way is to pick some plants and make tea as I do:) (Well my brother did the picking).

Interesting! I have sent you PM about this

• 6 years later...

Yes, I take testosterone boosters. I have had some good success with them, although it depends on your age and current testosterone levels. I would get your levels tested if I was you and if they fall in the healthy range then don't bother. If you are under 30, you are probably fine.

I have personally had the most success with testosterone boosters containing a mixture of Vitamin D, Magnesium, Zinc and D-aspartic acid. These ingredients have all been backed up with clinical studies and personally I have got the most benefit from products with these ingredients. Mostly increases in energy, pushing longer in my workouts and I did notice a boost in libido if that's your thing.

There are a lot of scammy products in this market so be super careful, they do not have to be FDA approved to hit the market.