Is my diet fat deficient?

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Is my diet fat deficient?

#1 Postby Dvwfre » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:30 am

Hi all,

My current diet consists of black beans & nuts for meal 1, green smoothie for meal 2, lentils & vegetables for meal 3, and another green smoothie for meal 4

I believed my diet was healthy but according to the RDA I am fat deficient. Do you guys trust the RDA for the amount of fat we need?

Re: Is my diet fat deficient?

#2 Postby notknowing » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:45 pm

IMO, yes you are. I once read a thread at which is a highly respected site, that said for gaining muscle shoot for about .5 x bodyweight. I usually eat around that much fat anyways and found it to be a very accurate calculation.

#3 Postby vege » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:01 pm

10% of fat is just enough, you are consuming more than you need.

#4 Postby vegimator » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:17 pm

You're going to find a variety of responses but for me personally, I know I do better with more fat than that.

#5 Postby Fallen_Horse » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:17 pm

vegimator wrote:You're going to find a variety of responses but for me personally, I know I do better with more fat than that.

This is pretty much the answer. Most people will do fine in a whole range of fat intakes, so all that matters is that you are getting a good omega-3 to omega-6 balance and that you are getting as much fat as YOU want to get....
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

#6 Postby blueduckxx » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:53 pm

To me, that's far too low of fat

#7 Postby Vegercize » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:51 am

As people have mentioned... everyone is different! The World Health Organization recommends a diet that provides at least 15% of it's calories from fat, so you are just shy of that. However if you are female 20% recommended at the minimum.

Add 2Tbs of ground flaxseeds to your yoghurt to make sure you are getting enough Omega 3 fats and make sure you vary your nut intake (i.e. different types of nuts as each contain different fat profiles, walnuts are the best source of Omega 3). Also overall variety in your diet could be looked at. Different protein sources have different amino acids, so again mix up the types of beans/legumes you use (chick-peas, lentils, butter beans, black-beans, kidney beans, soy beans etc).

Make sure your yoghurt has added calcium also and you're taking a B12 supp since you don't seem to be eating fortified foods :D
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% of how we react to it. Our Attitude towards life determines life's attitude towards us.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”