Diet critique/sugggestion

Hello,

I'm new here. I'm been vegan for about a year. Still struggling with getting the same "leanness" and results with the new way of eating. I put a sample of what I ate today. Could anyone give me some pointers? My goal is to be leaner than I currently am (around 20% bf) Here are my current stats:

5' 2

117 pounds

20% bodyfat

Breakfast: brown rice protein shake, banana

Snack: Brown rice protein shake, scoop of greens first, nectarine

Lunch: grilled veggies on whole wheat pita with a dash of shoyu, guacamole

Snack: 1/2 oz. almonds, 7 triscuits

Dinner: tofu "cutlet", veganaise dipping sauce, green beans sauteed in olive oil, wild rice

Cals: 1,685 Protein: 78 grams Carb: 209.6 g Fat: 65.5 g

P/C/F: 18/48/34

Ok, so I can certainly see that my protein intake is too low. Please help. I would like to shed some bodyfat. I put fruit back in since I became so exhausted in the last few days, not sure why. Thanks in advance!

Cut carbs and add some protein & fat intake by switching the triscuits to something high in protein and fat.

The other option is to do more weight training since building & maintenance of muscles demand loads of calories.

So you are both saying keep the calories the same and get rid of some carbohydrate? Then replace carbs with either protein or fat depending on what I respond better to. I am extremely tired lately, not sure what's going on. Any reason why this might be? Life is not any more stressful or different than usual. Keep thinking I'm not getting enough of something. I'm running in a 5K race tonight, then I will ditch some carbohydrates from my current program. Will try to get some progress pics soon..

Are you taking a B-12 supplement? When I first started taking them I received a lot of energy from it. I also agree that you need to up your protein intake to at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

So you are both saying keep the calories the same and get rid of some carbohydrate? Then replace carbs with either protein or fat depending on what I respond better to. I am extremely tired lately, not sure what's going on. Any reason why this might be? Life is not any more stressful or different than usual. Keep thinking I'm not getting enough of something. I'm running in a 5K race tonight, then I will ditch some carbohydrates from my current program. Will try to get some progress pics soon..

No I was saying to keep the carbs and replace fat with protein. Carbs are what give your body energy throughout the day, so if you go low on carbs then you will probably struggle with energy issues. I would take about 10% of your fat and put it into carbs, so your totals would be ~ 20/60/20, p/c/f. Also kckas is right, you should make sure you are getting enough B12 (heck, all the B's) and also enough iron. When is the last time you have had your blood work done?

are you trying to put on muscle and stay lean?

or are you on a cutting phase because if ur trying to build muscle i would just eat everything in site and accept a lil fat, then go on a cut.

if ur trying to lean up then just cut ur carbs down but keep proteins the same as u can only absorb so much, if u still feel hungry then drink more water or have more watery veg

Thanks everyone. I would like to put some muscle on, but since it's summertime, I'd like to just focus on leaning out a bit. Get rid of the fat and "see" whatever muscle is left over. Since going vegan, my bodyfat is the highest it's ever been. At 116pounds, I am 20% bf. I am still adjusting to the diet over the first year so I realize I'll get it. When you say get more protein, my issue is that I seem to always get more carbs in the process. That is not ideal for leaning out. Any suggestions? I'm trying to follow what the RD had suggest to start out in the first year which is:

1,500-1,600 cals

90g - protein

190 g- carb

50g - fat

P/C/F is 20/50/30

I thought the carbs were kinda high and protein was low, but she said people are too hung up on protein and it matters less with a vegan diet. (I have 2 admit, I always got the best results with high protein) Sounds like you all agree too! Ok, I'll wait 2 hear what you suggest. And thank you so much 4 responding. I came here so I wouldn't be so alone in this process.

Jen