Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Salt craving after hot yoga?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:58 am 
Finch

I just started doing hot yoga again. After each class I drink a lot of water (regular and sometimes a vitamin water), eat some fruit and grains and then head off to work. About two or three hours after class I get a huge salt craving. I almost never crave salt, and don't remember having these cravings the last time I studied hot yoga. Back then I ate a lot more processed (vegan) foods. These days I pretty much only eat whole foods with a few exceptions. Right now to take care of my salt fix, I just grab a cup of Dr. McDougall's organic instant soup. I only use about half the flavor packet and that takes care of my salt craving. Can anyone suggest a healthier snack or other suggestions? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:53 pm 
Gorilla

You probably do need electrolytes if you're sweating profusely! I like coconut water as a nature's "gatorade." It's not practical for everyday, though. Bok choy as a good choice; the stems are juicy and watery and have natural sodium.
Celery is also good. Add it or the bok to smoothies.
Also, seaweeds (or seawead soaking water or broth) are really good.
Dulse is a seaweed you can carry with you and eat as a snack. It's milder than most seaweeds and doesn't need soaking or cooking.
You can also find Nori strips (the kind used for sushi) in snack packaging. There is hot, teriyaki, and sweet and sour flavor. Good stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:18 am 
Manatee

i sometimes make my own version of recharge (a natural version of gatorade) with a bit of salt, lemon juice and maple syrup (or other sweetener) added to water.

Recharge:

www.funkdc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:49 pm 
Manatee

Yeah, it's almost definitely the electrolytes! Pick up a few packets of "Emergen-C" vitamin powder. We keep them around the yoga studio for when people get light headed from the heat and one of those mixed with water usually helps a ton. That or something like Smart Water or some fruit or something should help.