Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:44 pm 
Elephant

I've been 100% for the last two days now, I have no idea why, I'm just gonna go with it and see how life turns out.

Fruits help me feel clear, light and energetic, I've been feeling real sluggish and lethargic on cooked so I think that's why I've been fruity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:05 pm 
Gorilla

I love fruits. I could live on them except that they dont help the fullness factor for a long time. Get hungry fast.. and in daily work life its not easy to see through the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:36 pm 
Gorilla

Bigbwii wrote:

For some reason I'm eating more fruits than ever and my wife is thinking about eating raw too!!!

You only eat fruit, though, right?

I checked out your thread on T-Nation. You said sometimes you get by on just a couple of bananas a day. So I guess you mean you've been increasing how much you eat.

As for me, there's definitely a correlation between how much fruit I eat and how clean and energised I feel!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:50 pm 
Elephant

Hi G, I went Vegan recently but I'm ending up eating fruit again...and my wife wants to go raw so there must be something in the air :lol:

BTW, I never said I got by on just a couple of bananas, I would always have a bunch a OJ or something real juicy during the course of the day too! :wink:

Last edited by Bigbwii on Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:53 pm 
Gorilla

Bigbwii wrote:
I've been 100% for the last two days now, I have no idea why, I'm just gonna go with it and see how life turns out.

Fruits help me feel clear, light and energetic, I've been feeling real sluggish and lethargic on cooked so I think that's why I've been fruity.

I see: you've still been in the transitioning phase?

That's cool.

crashnburn wrote:
I love fruits. I could live on them except that they dont help the fullness factor for a long time. Get hungry fast.. and in daily work life its not easy to see through the day.

Yes, I find the same thing: I think I could live on just fruit. However, I do enjoy some foods that have to either be cooked, sprouted, or popped, such as beans, and grains like amaranth and quinoa. These foods certainly don't make me feel sluggish. On the contrary: I believe they help with muscle building and recovery, and provide slow-burning energy.

Fruit certainly doesn't give me a sugar rush/sugar slump effect (I think this is due to the fibre), though I have heard that concentrated apple juice is basically just sugary water, so I tend to avoid concentrated juice, except perhaps straight after a workout, or mixed in a smoothie with whole fruits.

As for fruit not filling you up: I think it just depends on the quantity you consume. I believe 100% fruitarians eat around 12 times a day: basically grazing all day, which is healthy...but not always possible in a work environment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:57 pm 
Elephant

It depends on how clean internaly you get over time ....the cleaner you are the less you need to eat :wink:

But your right 100% fruitarians in their early phase will eat continually and in large amounts. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:02 pm 
Elephant

To be honest G, I've been real sick since going back to cooked food :oops: I've had all my old rugby injuries come back and I feel like a 60 year old, everything about me has deteriorated and I've not had the mental attitude to even workout. It's been a great relief to eat fruits this last couple of days! 8)

I guess this is what early man must of felt like when they first ate cooked food. :wink:

Even so I don't think fruit is the perfect food anymore ...just the best out of a bad bunch. :roll: it's vital to keep yourself informed about the food your eating instead of putting it up on a pedastal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:55 pm 
Gorilla

Bigbwii wrote:
Even so I don't think fruit is the perfect food anymore ...just the best out of a bad bunch. :roll: it's vital to keep yourself informed about the food your eating instead of putting it up on a pedastal.

I would still say that fruit is the most natural food that we can eat. I can't get enough of it. I agree that the cleaner we are internally, the less food we need to maintain health and fitness. However, I think it should be borne in mind that muscle-building requires that the the body be fed an abundance of calories and nutrients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:38 pm 
Gorilla

What about FRUITARIANS who want protein intake ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:08 am 
Elephant

What you want and what your body needs are often two different things and I've found that a lot of people run into trouble because they follow their mind instead of their body!

It depends on if you a new or established Fruitarian, established Fruitarians generally don't need/want a lot of protien and new Fruitarians still think they need a lot of protien.

Some Fruitarians/Raw Foodists will use Bananas, nuts and various vegetables as a protien source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:44 am 
Elephant

Fruits can contain a lot of (natural) sugar, and some , like bananas, are high glycemic (which means they affect insulin levels quite a bit, so you have a blast of insulin to your body to cope with the sugar levels). How can fruitarians not get too much sugar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:04 am 
Elephant

:wink:
http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/questi ... cemic.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:44 am 
Rabbit

Hey hey! another article by Frederic!! That guy has written some great stuff on the raw lifestyle.

I hear celery is a good source of protein too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:57 pm 
Gorilla

Kathryn wrote:
Fruits can contain a lot of (natural) sugar, and some , like bananas, are high glycemic (which means they affect insulin levels quite a bit, so you have a blast of insulin to your body to cope with the sugar levels). How can fruitarians not get too much sugar?

I read some book at a B&N or some articles or both..

Glycemic Index is not as important as overall Glycemic Load.

GL.. is determined based on how much effort and time it takes to breakdown a COMPOSITE food and have its sugar hit the bloodstream. So some foods could have high sugar but due to their molecular structures take a certain path in breaking down for digestion.

Refined & processed foods are "mostly" (not all) higher GL than pure natural foods.

e.g. Whole wheat is better for a similar reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:52 am 
Rabbit

I wonder if our anscestors worried about glycemic indexs when they were snacking on their fruit.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next