Fruit - The PERFECT food!

FRUITS

Fruits are such a delight to the senses. Of all the foods available to us, fruits are the most attractive, delicious and enjoyable. Of all natural foods, that is, the foods we can eat in their natural state, fruit is the food we are most attracted to and that first entices our senses. Humans are born with a natural instinct for sweet foods and in nature, that instinct naturally draws us to fruit.

When we are hungry - and I mean really hungry - fruit is often the most satisfying food we can eat. Is there anything better than to devour a delicious ripe mango on a hot summer day? Or to bite into a luscious, freshly-picked apple? Or to enjoy a sweet, juicy ripe orange? Is there any man-made dish that can beat the perfection of a fully ripe cherry?

Fruits have been consumed by human beings going as far back in time as we know, whereas grains, legumes and dairy products have only been cultivated for 10,000 years or less, which is just a breath in the life of humanity. Anthropological studies have shown that fruit has been an important part of the human diet for hundreds of thousands of years.

Fruit has always been recognized as one of the healthiest foods there is. In the minds of most people, fruit is seen as a healthy food we should eat more of due to its vitamin content. But even when realizing the exceptional nutritional qualities of fruit, very few people actually give it the place it deserves in the diet. Fruit is still eaten as a “snack” or a “dessert,” but is rarely seen as a staple food. In the mind of the masses, fruit is a “healthy snack” but not something that can really sustain a hard-working man, like meat or bread. They don’t realize that fruit should be a staple in the diet, and has been for thousands upon thousands of years, long before bread and rice were cultivated, and long before cheese, sandwiches and twinkies were invented.

Fruit eating offers many benefits:

* Fruit is the best source of the natural sugar needed for energy.

* Fruit is packed with vitamins, and still represents the best source of vitamins in any food.

* Fruit is packed with anti-oxidants.

* Fruit is easier to digest than grains. Fruit is basically pre-digested. Digesting ripe fruit hardly requires any digestive enzymes, and is thus less taxing to the body.

* Fruit is alkaline forming (whereas meat, fish, grains and legumes are acid-forming).

* Fruit contains an abundance of pure water.

* Fruit is easy to eat. It doesn’t require much preparation.

* Fruit is beautiful. All of our senses are nourished by fruit, not just our taste buds.

* People who eat lots of fruit live longer. A study published in the British Medical Journal (September 2001), showed that fresh fruit offers the best bet for a long life. The results of a study showed that frequent fruit eaters had a 32 percent lower risk of dying from cerebrovascular disease such as stroke, and a 24 percent lower risk of dying from ischemic heart disease, than those who ate fruit less than once a day.

* Fruit contains lots of fiber, which is necessary for optimum digestion.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anyone who doesn't like SOME kind of fruit. I love fruit, some more than others. Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite fruit??

Q. What is your favorite fruit??

If I had to choose just one fruit to eat, it would have to be Durian.

Yes, the magnificent durian. The King of fruits. The first time I tried it, it was horrible. The second time I tried it, it was better, but still, it tasted a little funky. The third time I tried it, it was heaven.

With durian, I find that the more I eat, the more I want to eat MORE of it, and once you start, you just can't stop. Such subtle and elegant flavour.

Durian....

You've probably seen them in your local market, in the asian section usually. It is a large round brown spikey ball. LOTS of sharp spikes. When you crack them open, you are greeted with what can only be described as a "funky" smell. And inside you will find yellowish pods of creamy goodness. Which at times, may taste like almonds, custard, and onion.. but not exactly.

It is an experience one should try. at least 3 times in their life.

[/img]

Yes, I couldn't agree more.

At any time of the day, I will always be in the mood to eat fruit. If I had to choose just one it would probably be mango but I love the combinations like apple and mango or strawberry and banana.

Olives, tomatoes and avocado are fruits, too, I believe. They are three of my favourite, favourite foods in the world.

I believe nuts like cashews, Brazils and almonds are technically fruits, as well. Again: I eat tons of these

That's fantastic Bigbwii!!

I think it's easier to eat fruits in the summer time anyway. And besides, fruit being the perfect food that it is, is the most EXCELLENT fuel for our strength training!

putting aside all the technical data, how does fruit make you feel? sluggish? tired? weak?

Not I! I feel energized, light, fast, I feel like no other food makes me feel. How can it not be the perfect food?

What I love most about fruit is that there is no sudden energy lull as there would be with sugar (WHITE DEATH!!!!)

I've been 100% for the last two days now, I have no idea why, I'm just gonna go with it and see how life turns out.

Fruits help me feel clear, light and energetic, I've been feeling real sluggish and lethargic on cooked so I think that's why I've been fruity.

For some reason I'm eating more fruits than ever and my wife is thinking about eating raw too!!!

You only eat fruit, though, right?

I checked out your thread on T-Nation. You said sometimes you get by on just a couple of bananas a day. So I guess you mean you've been increasing how much you eat.

As for me, there's definitely a correlation between how much fruit I eat and how clean and energised I feel!

Hi G, I went Vegan recently but I'm ending up eating fruit again...and my wife wants to go raw so there must be something in the air

BTW, I never said I got by on just a couple of bananas, I would always have a bunch a OJ or something real juicy during the course of the day too!

Edited by Bigbwii

I've been 100% for the last two days now, I have no idea why, I'm just gonna go with it and see how life turns out.

Fruits help me feel clear, light and energetic, I've been feeling real sluggish and lethargic on cooked so I think that's why I've been fruity.

I see: you've still been in the transitioning phase?

That's cool.

I love fruits. I could live on them except that they dont help the fullness factor for a long time. Get hungry fast.. and in daily work life its not easy to see through the day.

Yes, I find the same thing: I think I could live on just fruit. However, I do enjoy some foods that have to either be cooked, sprouted, or popped, such as beans, and grains like amaranth and quinoa. These foods certainly don't make me feel sluggish. On the contrary: I believe they help with muscle building and recovery, and provide slow-burning energy.

Fruit certainly doesn't give me a sugar rush/sugar slump effect (I think this is due to the fibre), though I have heard that concentrated apple juice is basically just sugary water, so I tend to avoid concentrated juice, except perhaps straight after a workout, or mixed in a smoothie with whole fruits.

As for fruit not filling you up: I think it just depends on the quantity you consume. I believe 100% fruitarians eat around 12 times a day: basically grazing all day, which is healthy...but not always possible in a work environment.

To be honest G, I've been real sick since going back to cooked food I've had all my old rugby injuries come back and I feel like a 60 year old, everything about me has deteriorated and I've not had the mental attitude to even workout. It's been a great relief to eat fruits this last couple of days!

I guess this is what early man must of felt like when they first ate cooked food.

Even so I don't think fruit is the perfect food anymore ...just the best out of a bad bunch. it's vital to keep yourself informed about the food your eating instead of putting it up on a pedastal.

Even so I don't think fruit is the perfect food anymore ...just the best out of a bad bunch. it's vital to keep yourself informed about the food your eating instead of putting it up on a pedastal.

I would still say that fruit is the most natural food that we can eat. I can't get enough of it. I agree that the cleaner we are internally, the less food we need to maintain health and fitness. However, I think it should be borne in mind that muscle-building requires that the the body be fed an abundance of calories and nutrients.

What you want and what your body needs are often two different things and I've found that a lot of people run into trouble because they follow their mind instead of their body!

It depends on if you a new or established Fruitarian, established Fruitarians generally don't need/want a lot of protien and new Fruitarians still think they need a lot of protien.

Some Fruitarians/Raw Foodists will use Bananas, nuts and various vegetables as a protien source.